PDA

View Full Version : barrel length.

mr. nobody
10-25-2009, 05:47 AM
here is one i haven't seen asked on here before(but i could be wrong). what is the shortest you would want to go on a barrel length? my smith slugged my hart barrel and said it was really tight but the choke(where the crown should be) was 4 inches from the end of the blank. he said i'm looking at between 22-24 inches of barrel when it is finished.

i measured the lilja barrel i removed from the action and it was 23 1/4 inches long.

he had also slugged a 4 groove shilens ratchet barrel the day before and said mine was really much tighter than the shilens barrel. i'm going to go out on a limb here and say you can have a barrel with to tight of a bore just like to loose. is that right?

i can't wait to get to brake this new barrel in and tune it. it's the fun part for me!!!

Bill B
10-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Take your gunsmith's advice.

mr. nobody
10-25-2009, 07:14 AM
i told him to go ahead. i figured that this barrel being tight would make it much better. i was just wondering what the shortest most people would go? 22-24 inches of barrel is fine to me as long as it is done right. the guy working on my rifle has put together many great shooting rimfires, so i told him to do what he thinks is best. worse comes to worse i'll rebarrel it again later on, but i don't think it will be needed.

B. Harvey
10-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I've got a 18.875" barrel I just put on, but have not played with it enough to know if it will do the business. Did wonders for rifle balance though, and it looks cool.

crb
10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
The Anschutz blanks I am addicted too finish up at about 18.5 to 19" and shoot pretty well. I finished my Hart at just over 24". I am going to shoot it about 1000 rds and then slug it to verify the muzzle location.

Madrox
10-25-2009, 10:04 AM
i told him to go ahead. i figured that this barrel being tight would make it much better. i was just wondering what the shortest most people would go? 22-24 inches of barrel is fine to me as long as it is done right. the guy working on my rifle has put together many great shooting rimfires, so i told him to do what he thinks is best. worse comes to worse i'll rebarrel it again later on, but i don't think it will be needed.

I would say 22-24 would be about the correct range. I would prefer the 24 but would allow the barrel to let me know for sure and would not quibble over an inch or two. However, having shot a 22 inch and almost identical 24 inch barrel in the same action, I can tell you that you will have more wind effect with the 22 and it is noticeable if you actually have a comparison.

mr. nobody
10-25-2009, 11:59 AM
i figured it would be fine. that is why i told him to go ahead and do it. mine old barrel was 23 1/4 inches and i did ok with it. i'll get used to it pushing in the wind. i always do.