PDA

View Full Version : free recoil

buzzard
09-03-2009, 04:21 PM
why arent br stocks flat or parallel to the fore end to help tracking , guns that have conventional shaped rear stocks ,shot using free recoil,i would think would have a tendancy to shoot high ,

cwop
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
i havent figured it totally out yet myself. but all those champion shooters are doing it plus nothing on the rifle but their trigger finger.

i got to watch joe beshe shoot he is a master at it.

here is what he does.

A. sights the rifle in

B. removes his head and looks at the wind

C. puts his index finger on the trigger and bang

it has been very hard for me to master. the b/r boys all use special stocks that ride things just right.

hope this helps

bob

buzzard
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
i have a shehane br stock ,bottom of the butstock is not parallel,is the bullet gone from barrell before gun slides back on your rest set up

Rich In Kansas
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
About ten years ago I was practicing with my friend Dwayne Bailey who has since left us. I was shooting no recoil (does anybody remember silly putty?) and he was shooting a rest that allowed the gun to recoil. He convinced me to try his rest. Since my scope would point high if it moved 1/8 inch or more to the rear, I was surprised that it shot to the same point of aim. This led me to believe the bullet must leave the muzzle before the gun moves much at all.

Dennis D.
09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
The rules for short range centerfire BR require the butt stock to have a taper so that's what you get if you buy a standard BR stock. Folks who cater to us freer thinking rimfire shooters do make stocks with no taper as do many long range BR stock makers. I guess the market just isn't big enough for the big makers to turn out a special mold for just the rimfire market.

Dennis

jakirk
09-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I shot next to Joe Besche at MO State at Pioneer Gun Club a couple of weeks ago he is a great shooter red shoes and all. I had just started useing the free recoil method, Charley Scott told me about it and it worked for me I just started shooting seriously this year I placed 17 out of 29 shoters I was happy as heck.

JAKirk

andyd1179
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I've been a member of the British squad for the past 3 years now and was introduced to what is formally could 'finger pinching' by an Italian Shooter called Luigi Gaetano Mirtell http://www.erabsf.org/halloffame/05_unlimeted_class_Luigi_Gaetano_Mirtelli_rs.jpg picture here.

As you can see has a good flat end stock which is designed by Cicognani in Italy which i now have.

Fingure piching is a bit of a black art and takes practice to achieve but the results can be very good. Being able to sight on the target then sit back and watch the flags till the time you feel you want to take the shot is about confidence in your shooting. i find that a lot of shooters that have come from thye ranks of prone shooting find this very difficult as they are used to putting their should into the butt, but if you can overcome this the results can be huge.

AndyD

mr. nobody
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
i have a stock coming from don stith that has the flat rear bottom right now. i believe it won't help mt shooting one bit, but it will make my rifle a hell of alot prettier:D!!!! i have noted i can put my rifle on sand bags and still shoot the same point of aim when allowing it to refree recoil, the flat bottomed stock in my mind will just track better. i could be wrong, but i just can't help to it will.

andyd1179
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Mr Nobody,
does don have web site or do you have an email address for him.

thanks in advance, Andyd

crb
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Is this flat enough for you ? ;)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n260/raayjayy/erectorsetfclassrhrear.jpg

mr. nobody
09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Mr Nobody,

thanks in advance, Andyd

http://www.donstith.com/benchrest_stocks.html

Bill Collaros
09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Mr Nobody,

thanks in advance, Andyd

Andy I just got 2 Don Stith stocks for my new Sporter that Mr Calfee is helping me with. www.donstith.com, the stocks look great & Don is most helpful via email

David K
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Don's stocks have without question made my guns shoot better for me . I think most are missing the point. The vibration reduction and feel of these stocks is the real gain here. Tracking and rear gun slant is not the issue to me. If all that is what it takes for results than so be it ,but I have shot guns I knew were not true and had good results. On the other hand I have shot other guns that were perfect and would not shoot for crap. To free recoil or not, only a ton of practice will answer that question. What produces results for you is whats best. I know guys that shoot both ways and most of the time it come down to if they can hold a gun still enough to get the results they require or not. If not then free recoil. David K

buzzard
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
i also have a stith stock ,i am waiting for all the parts ,turbo,broughton,tuner,etc has anyone seen slow motion of a rimfire discharge , i am wondering were the bullet is durring the whole proccess .when my other gun goes bad it will start to shoot high

cwop
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
some of you are missing the point. these guys all use a 2oz trigger or less. they dont finger pinch they sight in remove all contact with the stock. take their foreginger and pull. bang.

nothing is touching the stock or trigger but one finger.

i dont know what joe beshe has in his anchutz special but it is a very plain stock pure anchutz i believe. nothing fancy about it but he must have a very good barrell on it to shoot as well as he does.

maybe don stith will chime in here he is one of those and can shoot with the best of them.

bob