PDA

View Full Version : fixed vs varaible scopes

chuck3721
09-03-2009, 11:57 AM
so i have not seen much about which is the better for rimfire benchrest shooting and what power do most ppl shoot with or best power for 50 yards thanks

bob finger
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
here is a very recent thread discussing your stated subject.

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64205

There are many other threads on the subject. The search function can be your friend. Perhaps if you have a specific question that has not been discussed recently you might post that. bob finger

ShadowChaser
09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
so i have not seen much about which is the better for rimfire benchrest shooting and what power do most ppl shoot with or best power for 50 yards thanks

Chuck, what I have found in my own experience of rimfire benchrest shooting at 50 yards is that a variable power 8X-32X scope works fine when set at 32X. Hopwever, better yet, I prefer a fixed power scope and I use the Weaver T-36 (36X) which is what I rate as the scope of choice. (I also use the T-36 for AGBR shooting at 25 yards).

Part of my logic in preferring the Weaver 36X is that it has a brighter image and a better fine crosshair reticule than any variable power scope I have used.

As to fixed vs variable power, I never change power of the 8X-32X variable power scopes, they stay set to 32X even when test shooting on a 10 meter indoor range. My only reason for having the variable power scopes has nothing to do with their being variable power but more that they happen to AO focus as close as 10 yards which allows them to be used on my 10 meter (11 Yard/33 ft.) indoor range where the Weaver T-36 does not focus closer than slightly under 50 ft. But for benchrest at 50 ft. to 50 yards and beyond, the Weaver T-36 is my first choice... This is what I have found works best for me...

Happy shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

martin hammond
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
one other thing to keep in mind as we age our eyes don't get any sharper. just recently bought 2 of gene davis's optical boosters, not sure you can boost a variable scope. if you can, someone will chime in.