PDA

View Full Version : Best, most economical resizing lubricant

horseshoe
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I hope you folks can give me some ideas and suggestions of the Best , Better, and most Economical resizing lubricant you use, as most spray lubes sold at gun shops are rather expensive when doing quite a bit of resizing and reloading. I use Imperial wax when neck sizing , but would like to find something in a spray that might be inexpensive. Thanks in advance. Possibly some item at an auto parts that would do an equally good job.

Pokerplayer
06-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Imperial

John Kielly
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Have to agree. My 2 tubs are tin & still have the former owner's name on it, it's so economical.

Asa Yam
06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Most of the spray lubes are liquid lanolin, diluted with 90%+ IPA (isopropyl alcohol). Ratio is about 4 or 5 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin - though some reports say to go to as high as 9:1. (From experience, 4:1 probably isn't enough dilution.) Buy the alcohol locally - any good department store, pharmacy, or supermarket should carry 90% or stronger IPA. The liquid lanolin is a bit harder to find, but it is available online (meaning there's a shipping fee).

An alternative is to use anhydrous lanolin (not a liquid, but a semisolid grease). For the price of a tin of Imperial, you can buy a pound of anhydrous lanolin.

One alternative I haven't tried is using wire pulling lubricant. Available at most home or electrical stores. About $10 a quart (and usually usually less).

More ideas (and advice how to mix liquid lanolin and alcohol) is available at http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing .

Gunner223
06-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Dillon Spray Case Lube.

dbridges
06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
An alternative is to use anhydrous lanolin (not a liquid, but a semisolid grease). For the price of a tin of Imperial, you can buy a pound of anhydrous lanolin.

The lanolin is a wonderful lube for resizing and it's good for your hands too ;)

abintx
06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
You might try Kiwi Mink Oil paste available at Walmart in the shoe polish section. Here's a picture: http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=208000. Personally, I use the RCBS Case Lube-2. It goes a long way. :) Art

andre3k
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
i use royal purple synthetic motor oil

Wayne Shaw
06-05-2009, 05:37 AM
I use a lube pad (that's about 20 years old) and RCBS water based sizing lube. You can put about 10 cases on the pad, use the palm of your hand and roll the back and forth a couple times and you're good to go. It cleans off as easy as Imperial. One bottle of the lube will last a very long time.

It lubes better than Imperial in some cases (no pun here).

papapaul
06-05-2009, 06:00 AM
I use generic spray cooking oil. I don't even know what it costs, I find it in the kitchen cabinet next to the olive oil.

Roger T
06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Imperial

Dave Coots
06-05-2009, 07:43 AM
KY Jelly.

Dave

abintx
06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
KY Jelly. Dave

Which does your brass prefer? Scented or unscented? Warming or regular? :D

marion packett
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
STP oil treatment works great.

virg
06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I use a lube pad (that's about 20 years old) and RCBS water based sizing lube. You can put about 10 cases on the pad, use the palm of your hand and roll the back and forth a couple times and you're good to go. It cleans off as easy as Imperial. One bottle of the lube will last a very long time.

It lubes better than Imperial in some cases (no pun here).

Have used the above RCBS lub with its pad for years with great results. Works great and cleans up in a jiffy.

virg

rrendina
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Imperial

Larry Elliott
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Gotta go with Imperial, especially for severe sizing chores. It's economical, easy to apply, and works

tenring
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
I have stuck several cases while F/L sizing with spray lubricants and gave up on them. Imperial is great, and I have several cans. But Hornady Unique is just as good, cheaper, and lasts much longer.

onomrbil
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Mink oil WITHOUT silicone.

Donald
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Plain old vasoline works pretty darn good and its cheap.

Joe S
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I have stuck several cases while F/L sizing with spray lubricants and gave up on them. Imperial is great, and I have several cans. But Hornady Unique is just as good, cheaper, and lasts much longer.

I didn`t think Hornady had been out that long. I still am on a tin of Imperial I started 2 or so years ago. The one before that seemed to go forever, notably longer then the RCBS & Lee lubes and pad I started reloading with.

Rustystud
06-11-2009, 04:05 AM
A search on the internet wil provide you with many mixtures. It is hard to beat grain alcohol (Ever Clear) and lanolin. This is what is in the Dillon spray lube according to the label. Remember if you are spraying you are causing airborne contamination that may be absorbed by your body. Protroleum products and or other chemical can make you sick. Organic products can grow bacteria and also make you sick. Also remember about the fire hazards you may be causing.

Nat Lambeth

Roger T
06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
putting such an ingreident (Ever Clear ) on cases is such a WASTE of good SIPPEN SAUCE:D

Who Me?
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Hornady One-Shot. Put your cases on a cookie sheet. Spray them, roll them back and forth on the tray a little, and wait 5 minutes. Then resize. The lubricant will not affect the primers or powder, if you get it inside the case. The lube dries so it's not sticky or slimy. No need to wipe the cases after resizing. You might save $2.00 using granny's home-brew recipes, but my time is worth more than that to me.:D

FBecigneul
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
When a 4 ounce can of Imperial die sizing wax at $2.75 will last you at least 10 years, why does "most economical" even enter the conversation?

dlay
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Imperial is great, hornady spray is second.

Bill Gammon
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Plain old vasoline works pretty darn good and its cheap.

All I did years ago was to get about a half lb of anhydrous Lanolin and an equal amount of vasoline and heat slowly it in a pot, and it will mix very easily, when it has cooled down, but still a liquid, pour into a ball jar, lid and you will have enough lube for the next 5 generations.

tim
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I've used Imperial for more years than I'd care to remember. This year somebody introduced me to Royal case and die lube. I use this primarily in my FL BR die and the handle force dropped by 1/2. It also wipes off far easier. I promise, you will never use anything else. The stuff even smells great.

slugger
06-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I have tried almost everything and a couple of comments, STP works wonderful for radical reforming jobs but it is a real PITA to clean up. I only use it if I have to. It will sometimes save cases that would otherwise collapse.

OK, now for cheap. Mink oil (paste form) works as well as anything I have tried but the STP. It's really cheap and the same thing as Unique case lube.

I tried a couple of things that did NOT work. Slick 50 One Lube. I mistakenly bought it instead of One SHOT and stuck the second case so tightly I couldn't get it out. I drilled and tapped it twice and stripped the threads. I finally sent it back the manufacturer and they removed it for me and sent me a complimentary tub of lube and figured I was an idiot!

I find the most convenient lube is Imperial. I stick a rare earth magnet to the back/top of the press and keep the tin there. A tin lasts me about 2 years-it's always handy!