PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a front-sight hood . . . . .

Montana Pete
05-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I have my dad's old favorite rifle, with lots of sentimental value. It is a sporterized Springfield-- a handsome gun.

It is set up with Lyman receiver sights. The front ramp sight has lost it's hood. I remember that it did originally have a hood, and the top of the ramp is slotted for a hood of the "slide-on, snap in place" type.

Quite a few years ago, the hood was lost -- apparently snagged on brush and pulled off while hunting.

Does anyone know whether one can be purchased anywhere?

david dumas
05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Pete,
Browning had a hood on the BAR 308 when I bought one in 1974,,,,, wonder if it will fit? I lost mine the first or second season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

vicvanb
05-02-2009, 12:55 PM
These hoods vary a lot and I don't know if the ones Winchester used for several centerfires including the Pre-64 Model 70 would work for you or not. The Winchester originals are expensive but there are replicas available that are very good reproductions that sell for much less--like $15 or so. I noticed a GUNBROKER listing for some recently.

Dave Milosevich
05-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know whether one can be purchased anywhere?

Call Brownell's, 800-741-0015. They have hoods for Model 70's and Model 700's, among others. Their technical guys are pretty good with stuff like this and should be able to fix you up.

FWIW