View Full Version : Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)

04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Why isn't membership in IBS or NBRSA, or for that matter the NRA, considered as an "Affiliated Organization" for a firearm purchase?

Is this something IBS or NBRSA have to initiate or has the CMP ruled they are not eligible shooting clubs?

04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Good question. I wonder if my trap shooting club qualifies. I wonder if being a service-connected, disabled veteran qualifies, retired military . . .

The whole rationale for the CMP is to provide "citizen marksmen" for the "National Defense." Seems like active military duty would fulfill that requirement.

Jim Oliver
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Ask this question on th CMP forum.


04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
..........and where would that be Jim?

Joe Haller
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Six years ago, when we heard CPM was going to release 3500 Remington 40X rifles, I QUICK wrote up a constitution and by-laws for a new club that would be conected with Rimfire Central's Rimfire On-Line-Matches".

Sent the paperwork to CMP and they approved us JUST IN TIME. A bunch of the guys who were shooting in the Rimfire Central "On-Line-Matches" were able to get those 40X rifles. I was so busy filling out paperwork and helping other guys get their rifles, I had no time to order one for myself.

We have renewed our CMP affiliation each year since. Our name is: "International Rimfire E-Mail Matches" (IREM). Our dues are $15.00 per year. I send membership cards out that are dated for one year from date of application. You must send a copy of your membership card to CMP with your order.

It was a rush thing, and I did feel I had time to ask CMP why they would not accept membership in NRA or NBRSA or RBA or IR-50/50 or USBR or IBS or ARG. I just made application for a new "Internet Club" and they accepted us.

Joe Haller :-)

04-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Thank you Joe for your response. How do I join the IREM?

Jim, I think this is the more appropriate forum for my question. I would believe that other members of IBS and NBRSA would be annoyed, as I am, that we are not recognized by the CMP as a shooting organization,

If it's up to us to initiate a request, then who in our organizations has the authority to do so?

Jim Oliver
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Right here------


Great bunch of guys, they just don't shoot off tables very much.......:D


Joe Haller
04-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Hello Don:

You do not have to shoot in the RFC rimfire benchrest matches to be a member of IREM. But: The dues have been "earmarked" for prizes to be given to shooters who compete in the RFC matches.

If you would care to join us: Send a check for $15.00 to me:

Joe Haller
P.O. Box 1776
Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan 49783

04-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Why isn't membership in IBS or NBRSA, or for that matter the NRA, considered as an "Affiliated Organization" for a firearm purchase?

Is this something IBS or NBRSA have to initiate or has the CMP ruled they are not eligible shooting clubs?

you have to belong to an affiliated club and show proof of CMP match participation to qualify for rifle purchase or meet one of the other criteria in lieu of..such as law enforcement, military, over a certain age...

There are tons of rifle clubs that are CMP affiliated and there is a list on their website. My affiliated club holds one or two vintage military rifle cmp matches each year so that's how I get my participation taken care of. There isn't much in common format wise with most CMP sanctioned rifle shooting and IBS or NBRSA benchrest other than we all are shooters using rifles.

04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
You do not have to show proof of a "CMP Match" read the following copied from their website:

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

CMP Chairman for the Benton Gun Club


04-24-2009, 07:59 AM
.......But it seems the first(and non waivable) requirement is that you must belong to an an "affiliated organization".

The other requirements of Firearm Related activity are easy. Over 60 (no problem), ex military (no problem), CCL (no problem), etc.

Affiliated Membership (Was a Big Problem). Joe I'll be sending you the fee and request for IREM Mebership.


D R Greysun
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Before you consider a purchase from CMP you may want to take a 'close' look at the purchase agreement. Take it at it's 'intent' you purchase a rifle and it's your to use and 'not to be resold or transferred'. Even rifles purchased by affiliated clubs (club purchases) are not to be resold or transferred to club members. The association I belong to issues a 'certificate of custodianship' to members that donate the purchase price of a rifle. (club purchase) Ownership of the rifles remains with the association. That has been the procedure for club purchased Mossberg's, 40X and M1 Carbines. Follows the 'intent' of the purchase agreement and establishes a chain of custody for each rifle.



Joe Haller
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
For those who need proof of participation in match competition, we post our Rimfire Benchrest score bulletins over in Rimfire Central's "Matches" Section.

Go here:

When your name appears in one of these bulletins, just copy the bulletin, print it out and send it in the CMP with your order.

If you are shooting Centerfire Benchrest there is a Postal Match here on Benchrest Central that you can compete in.

Go here to find the CMP affiliated clubs in your state:

For some reason this URL does not work on AOL ???


04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
You can also join the Garand Association for $25/year, and get a great magazine each quarter about the m1 gar

CMP is a great organization, I only wish I discovered them in my youth. At least I got a couple of Garands and carbines before they were gone.

Delivered right to your door via UPS, no FFL required.

Joe Haller
04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Go here:


04-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Most of the state rifle associations are cmp affiliated- most of the gun clubs around here are also- even taking the hunter education course will work The main thing they look for is SHOOTING PARTICIPATION- the results/score sheet for a shoot or club bulletin would work