PDA

View Full Version : Length of pull

garrisone
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
How do you correctly determine the correct length of pull for building a new stock for a rimfire benchrest rifle. garrisone.

MKnarr
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I ask the same question once and was told the rules specify 12 1/2 inch minimum. I shoot free recoil and often shoot in cold weather and I wanted the stock as short as possible, so I settled on 12 5/8 to stay well inside the rules. That was two years ago and I'm not sorry. I would be interested in answers by others.

jGEE
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
<snip>I shoot free recoil and often shoot in cold weather and I wanted the stock as short as possible, <snip>

Mr MKnarr why a short stock for cold weather?? You "skunch up" and can stay warmer?? I'm lost on this one. joe:)

DonMatzeder
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Heavy coat?

jGEE
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Heavy coat?

dang Don done!
joe:)

steyrl
04-16-2009, 03:06 AM
I wish I knew!
I thought I needed to shorten the length of pull on the Savage LRPV as the HS Precision stock is just a tad long. The Steyr Pro Hunter is set up without any of the spacers being used; just the recoil pad is fitted and it is very comfortable to use.
When I looked at both rifles, in the safe, the trigger guard on the Steyr is higher than the Savage!! Then I realised the angle of the butt of the Steyr is greater than than the Savage which is practically 90 degrees to the horizontal (if you can get what I mean).
When I get together with the gunsmith who may do the stock I'm going to talk butt angle first.

MKnarr
04-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Joe, I don't know where you live but in the high desert of SW Colorado, it does get cold enough to need a coat. Sometimes a heavy coat. I shot a match last Saturday in weather cold, damp and windy enough to require a sweat shirt, flannel shirt and medium weight jacket. I don't like the coat to rub against the stock if possible. In the summer (when I don't wear a coat but just a tee shirt) the LOP is still fine. My normal LOP is 13 1/4 inches for other rifles.

steve
04-16-2009, 06:43 AM
You measure the distance from the trigger to the butt plate. This measurement must not be less than 12.5"
Steve

garrisone
04-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Thank you Steve for answering my question. garrisone.

MKnarr
04-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry, I completely misunderstood the question. I thought the question was what was an appropriate LOP, not how to measure it.

Jim

Boer bok
04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
If you shoot free recoil, use left finfer if your right handed,
if left handed use right finger. I use this method it works for me.
The trigger to but does not come into play.
Boer