PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Barrel?

TrxR
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I have been told to get a heavy barrel for a target gun and am looking at a couple of rifles

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint_specs.asp

http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

Anyways the Remington says it has a 26" heavy-contour barrel. Does that mean it has a heavy barrel or has a heavy contour to it?

Which of these two would you recommend?

Also the Savage is a right bolt left port and I might have to shoot off the left shoulder even though I am right handed due to a dominant left eye :( Would this be a major issue?

Thanks

jackie schmidt
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
After a barrel is a certain weight, it is whats inside that makes it shoot. Both Rifles have barrels that are plenty heavy.

I would go with the Savage. Not only is Savage the recognized leader in out of the box accuracy, it is also available in 6BR, which is hands down the most accurate chambering available in either Rifle. (aside from the 308 in the Remington).

Now, I am basing my opinion on your want of a "target Rifle." If your primary purpose is to head to the range on the week end and shoot small groups with your friends, then go with the Savage in 6BR.

As for the eye thing, as you get more experienced in 'target shooting" from the bench, you will learn to shoot with both eyes open..........jackie

TrxR
04-05-2009, 04:44 PM
The reason I was looking at the .223 is that is cheap to fire, little to no recoil which should help a novice. Keep in mind the only rifles I have fired much are air rifles and 22's

jackie schmidt
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I have seen regular Savage Model 12's, (the Varmint Models) chambered in .223 that shot phenominolly well when saet up with a good tuned load........jackie

Gary Morgan
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
There are two 700XR .223s with the thumbhole stock that shoot in our monthly club matches in Birmingham and agg in the .450 range regularly. There's also a Savage in .223 that gives them a run for their money every month.