PDA

View Full Version : a new debate

cwop
03-31-2009, 02:33 PM
something to lighten things up a tad. over on r/f central we had a pretty good debate going on how to hang targets a t55 stapler or push pins.

i am now changed over to the push pins no stapler to mess with anymore.

bob

Beau
03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
What does it matter? Are push pins cheaper?

MKnarr
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Geez, all this time I have been hanging my targets with masking tape. Does this mean I have to go out and buy a T55 stapler or are push pins the preferred method? Or do only the best benchrest shooters use one of them bob or since I'm not one of them, can I please use masking tape instead? I would hate to be made fun of by the other shooters.

Maybe it's only the rising stars that use a stapler or push pins?

cwop
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
so you see you fellows cant just have a freindly discussion. i for one do not consider myself a rising star or anything really for that matter.

i thought it was sort of fun myself but humor seems to be lacking here these days.

bob

Beau
03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
It's a friendly discussion. You're a self-proclaimed tightwad. They both hold the target. What's the motive? Reusable and cheaper?

cpeters
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
When I hang ARA targets I just turn it over and slobber the whole back of it just like a big ol postage stamp and stick it to the backer.....I tried licking the black celotex backer once instead of the target but had a hard time explaining my black tongue.

The score keepers and range masters have asked me to refrain from doing all of the above, so now I just use my favorite swingline stapler.

Charlie

TangoTwo
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Now Charlie you shouldn't be using a Swingline, they are crap. I use a Bostich that was a dollar at a garage sale. Much better. Use push pins too, depends on which range I am at. Now that that is settled, since my opinion is the only one that counts, what shall we talk about now?:D:p:D

Ken

Mooseyard
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I use spray adhesive. It was the most expensive thing I could find to hold targets up, and seeing as how spending a lot of money = being a good shooter, I figured it would help my game.:D

404tbang
03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for a good laugh!
Greg

John Kielly
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
It was the most expensive thing I could find to hold targets up,
With all those layoffs happening, you should be able to get a couple of guys to hold the edges down for you for a couple of bucks a day.

Bill B
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Go with the push pins - at the end of the last target it gives you four more things to shoot at. :D

cadillacjack
03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Spray adheisive is a great idea, probably works pretty good and would be fun to watch the collection of targets. I've been told if the target blows down it's my problem if the target can't be removed from the backer I guess I get a new backer for each target. What you think? Thanks Fred

MKnarr
03-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Actually, I'm learning to use plugs stuck in the 10 rings. Keep me from having to use all the expensive ammo I bought in 1968.

cadillacjack
03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
What a great thread you started!!! This intellectual and informatative discussion of placing targets is an issue I've never before contemplated. Goes to show, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Keep up the good work. Fred

P.S. Thanks for keeping us all informed as to what's fore sale in the classifieds. I don't seem to have enough time to keep track of all the equipment and guns for sale. I'm sure all the shooters appreciate this thankless service you perform. Thanks again Fred

MKnarr
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
You're a self-proclaimed tightwad.

A self proclaimed tight wad who owns, what, three gun safes full of 22s and bought how many benchrest rifles in the last 3 months, plus a Pappas rest and still hasn't shot one benchrest match. I wish I could afford to be that kind of tight wad. :)

Joe Friedrich
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Bob, I hear some guys actually dilute Preparation H and water when shooting ARA, they believe it helps shrink their bullet holes. For other disciplines they are using water misters to keep the target just wet enough to induce a larger bullet hole. There is no need for any other attachment they are both self adhering. :D

Sorry Bob could not help myself, it's all good.

Joe

tim
03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Bob, I hear some guys actually dilute Preparation H and water when shooting ARA, they believe it helps shrink their bullet holes. For other disciplines they are using water misters to keep the target just wet enough to induce a larger bullet hole. There is no need for any other attachment they are both self adhering. :D

Sorry Bob could not help myself, it's all good.

Joe

You better tell him to use the stuff straight from the tube before somebody sees him at the range with a target stuck in the back of his pants.:eek:

dankillough
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
so, if I switch from staples to push pins, do I need to readjust my tuner?

Gene Corvin
03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Got to have the right color push pins also. Don't believe it ask Foster Arvin!
Gene

Fred J
03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Fred:
That an old method we used in the late sixties for putting a choke at the muzzle end of the barrel. It did not help the cleaning, as the jag would get stuck in the muzzel and had to be drill out. Even deluting didn't help. I think there is only one Smith that still uses it today.

cwop
04-01-2009, 06:21 AM
well the one complainig there wasnt any posts can set back and look. sure got some funny remarks anyway. my neighbor and i had a fuss last nite he says he is sticking to staples me im a push pin guy now.

bob

hulk
04-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Staples or push pins. Brings back memories of past "spirited" debates, such as, tuners or muzzle weights.

Beau
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't recall such an a debate.

Roger T
04-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Neither ,Empty 22 Lapua /Eley cases is the only way to go . Adds much more class than all that other CHEAP STUFF:p

JerrySharrett
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
It's a friendly discussion. You're a self-proclaimed tightwad. They both hold the target. What's the motive? Reusable and cheaper?Its all about recycling.

Remember to recycle!!

Yesterdays news item, in Spokane WA, the guvmint is banning phosphates in dish detergent to SAVE THE PLANET. But, according to the news story it takes 5 times as much water to wash dishes with the new stuff.

Remember to recycle!!!

Next news item, ALGORE says all the icebergs are melting and New Your City will be under 20 feet of water. Since there will be 20 feet of water in New York City, why not pipe it to Spokane WA??

Would this not be recycling, just like push pins??

Remember to recycle!!

Wilbur
04-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't recall such an a debate.

That's funny right there. Wonder where ol' Stump is?

lead head
04-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Do I use the large push-pins or the small? Or if using staples do you use 1/2 or 3/8 inch and are they chisel point or straight?
Larry

TangoTwo
04-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Larry,

I use the small push pins. They are adequate for 50/50 targets. You may need the bigger ones for the ARA to compensate for the blue ink. Can't decide what color pins I like best though. As for the staples, 5/16 chisel point work best. They'll penetrate a hard backer and are easier to pull than the longer ones. Then again, if I was a little smarter, I would just shoot the staples out before I went downrange, save the hassle of pulling them altogether.:o

Ken

John Kielly
04-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Do I use the large push-pins or the small? Or if using staples do you use 1/2 or 3/8 inch and are they chisel point or straight?
Larry
Check conditions first. If there's high humidity, particularly if it is raining, the larger pins or staples would help to ensure that the targets would remain in place. You might even consider reinforcing the corners you propose to penetrate (figuratively speaking) with a light woven material - a small cleaning patch (unused) would be perfect.

If you use heavy target card, you might find that it's easier to penetrate with the smaller sized fasteners, though in extreme cases, you should consider giving the points a lick on a good Arkansas stone. I wouldn't recommend synthetic sharpening blocks, though you might experiment with a diamond hone from one of the better manufacturers.

If high winds or worse are expected, then it would be prudent to provide additional fastening by running clear packing tape or masking tape down each edge. Because of the colors & thus its distractive nature, gaff tape is unsuitable despite its excellent adhesive qualities.

It is considered pretentious for natives of Texas & Wyoming to dally their targets to the backing, although a well tied lariat does have a certain ambiance in other circumstances.

cwop
04-02-2009, 06:40 AM
well i prefer the yellow ones my self. they sort of brighten things up on the target.

bob

Fred J
04-02-2009, 11:01 AM
It's against the law to put less than 24 staples per target.

cwop
04-03-2009, 06:52 AM
who takes all those out?

just wondering

bob

Fred J
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Who else. Once you hang it in ARA, you're not supposed to touch it again.

Bill Ohio
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/Nate1776/targetholder.jpg

J Pappas
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/Nate1776/targetholder.jpg

I wonder if Craig Young would hold my target?

Bill Wynne
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I am sure that push pins are the best way to go but they kinda hurt when I put them in my pocket.

There must be a better way to carry them around.

Concho Bill

John Kielly
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
There must be a better way to carry them around.

?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_brIyg5OdFyg/SWIToduyMlI/AAAAAAAAFIY/k4SoFY2ow9w/s400/body_piercing_12.jpg

Fred K
04-03-2009, 05:30 PM
What scares me about this troop he can "Vote"
Fred K

cwop
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
where do you all find this stuff???????

bob

tim
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
OK John I get the studs but what the hell are those lumps on this guys forehead??????

Bill Wynne
04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I swung by Office Depot this afternoon and bought 12 giant push pins for $2.98 and they are huge. If you drop one of them on the ground on the way to the target, you can spot them from the bench. Perfect 50 yard pins.

Concho Bill

Wilbur
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
OK John I get the studs but what the hell are those lumps on this guys forehead??????

They're tuners...

Bill Wynne
04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
They're tuners...

I don't think I will tune like that.

Concho Bill

cwop
04-04-2009, 07:09 AM
bill

i didnt see those i will drop by and pick up a dozen.

bob