PDA

View Full Version : 42X Scope, Wind Probes & Field Of View

Louis.J
03-22-2009, 09:03 AM
How do those of you who use a 42X power scope or one of higher power manage to setup your wind probes to be viewed through the scope? Is there a way increase the field of view or adjust the scope to view all but the first probe. The question pertains to100 & 200 group and score matches.
J.Louis

Gary Morgan
03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
If you are using a 12x42x56 BR Nightforce scope with the NP-R2 reticle, you can use one of the top crosshairs to aim with, and this will give you a much larger field of view in the lower two-thirds of the scope.

Mike Bryant
03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
If you are using a 12x42x56 BR Nightforce scope with the NP-R2 reticle, you can use one of the top crosshairs to aim with, and this will give you a much larger field of view in the lower two-thirds of the scope.

If you do use one of the other reticle aiming points other than the center of the reticle on a Nightforce BR scope, don't change the power setting on the scope or you will no longer be on point of aim. I had a Nightforce 12x42 BR scope on my rail gun once and was using a small dot outside the center for the aiming point as it was the smallest aiming point on the reticle. I changed the power setting and much to my surprise, the reticle dot that I was using for the aiming point moved off from where I was aiming on the target. It wasn't any problem though on a rail gun as I changed the power setting back and the dot moved back to the original aiming point.

Hal D.
03-22-2009, 03:17 PM
shoot with both eyes open. You watch the flags with your non-scope eye.

+1

Wayne Shaw
03-22-2009, 03:56 PM
If you are talking about a 12x42 NF, I have spent a fair amount of time behind one. I almost never cranked it over 30-32 power for the whole reason of field of view. Plus, with the clear optics of a NF, I could easily see with plenty of resolution where to aim. Even out to 300 yards.

Seeing those last 2 or 3 flags in the scope is a good thing.

eww1350
03-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Try having a "raised reticle" put in your scope...I use a 36x Leupold with a raised "Skip Otto" raised reticle...and I can see my wind probe at 100yds and several flags when shooting 200yds...

Eddie in Texas

Hal D.
03-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I do agree on the last 2 or 3 flags in the scope at 200. You just gotta keep the first few flags in view with your off eye. I've never felt the need to turn my NF down to a lower setting when shooting 100 and 200, but I shot my first 600yd match on Saturday. I found that I had to turn the power down to 26X in order to see the target clearly enough through the mirage. And I thought the mirage was bad at 200;).

jackie schmidt
03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I have been doing this for quite some time, with a fair amount of success.

So, I ask. Why do you want your flags in your scopes field of view??.......jackie

Louis.J
03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Jackie the reason I wanted to see the probes in my scope was to assist me in keeping my head down and following through. I have always shot with my wind indicators off to my left to be viewed by my left eye but it has a tendency to make me want to yank on the trigger instead of squeezing and following through.

jackie schmidt
03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
99 percent of the time, I am not even looking through the scope when I let the shot go. Heck, I might as well make that 100 percent.

Of course, I shoot totally free style, and heads up. I feel like it gives you the best view of not only the flags in front of you, but the entire field.

You ask?? 'What about mirage". I never pay any attention to it. I feel that the flags, and what you feel on your own body and hear through your ear protection, tells you exactly what you need to know.

Of course, this view is not shared by all shooters. Every successful shooter has his own method that he feels gives him the best chance at shooting competitive aggs.........jackie

Dick Grosbier
03-23-2009, 08:27 AM
If you do use one of the other reticle aiming points other than the center of the reticle on a Nightforce BR scope, don't change the power setting on the scope or you will no longer be on point of aim. I had a Nightforce 12x42 BR scope on my rail gun once and was using a small dot outside the center for the aiming point as it was the smallest aiming point on the reticle. I changed the power setting and much to my surprise, the reticle dot that I was using for the aiming point moved off from where I was aiming on the target.

Mike,
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying but you said "using a small dot outside the center", I do not understand in a variable scope how any spot except the center could be expected to not change POI ? Everything except the center is zooming in isn't it ? What I am saying is if you picked a point halfway to the outside edge at low power it would probably be completely out of the field of view when you zoom to maximum magnification, by the same token a spot just a little off center would still move a reasonable amount. In fact it seems to me only the exact optical center of the scope can remain centered which is displaying same point .

Am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

Dick

Pete Wass
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
99 percent of the time, I am not even looking through the scope when I let the shot go. Heck, I might as well make that 100 percent.

Of course, I shoot totally free style, and heads up. I feel like it gives you the best view of not only the flags in front of you, but the entire field.

You ask?? 'What about mirage". I never pay any attention to it. I feel that the flags, and what you feel on your own body and hear through your ear protection, tells you exactly what you need to know.

Of course, this view is not shared by all shooters. Every successful shooter has his own method that he feels gives him the best chance at shooting competitive aggs.........jackie

At least one shooter who shoots SCORE shooting Heads Up and he does quite well. I have tried it some but I use a Farley rest and TRUST becomes an issue with me.

I am not able to process both looking through the scope and at flags with my left eye well, in fact, most of the time my head does not report what my left eye sees with my left eye when I look through the scope. I have to think about what I am seeing and it slows things down a bunch. I think this is primarilly why I prefer to shoot 6 X. I can usually see the entire field through my 6 power scopes.

The group match I shot in recently I shot heads up for that reason. I tried shooting looking with both eyes @ Lakeland and still found it to be confusing. I can only see the middle two flags at most when looking through the scope and with my left eye.