PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Partner presses

CYanchycki
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I just wanted to inform all who use them, myself included(I have 2), that a litte birdy flew by and told me they are POS and NO ONE in the benchrest circuit uses them.

Just something I had to get off my chest. So who uses them besides Jackie and myself?

Phil Deese
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I've had one for over 20 years with no problems!!!

eww1350
03-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I have two of them also...I wish someone had told me before I bought them that they won't make good reloads.:D

Eddie in Texas

wolf gray
03-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Your little birdy must be a buzzard :D, I own and use 5 of them. Also have a Rockchucker and a Dillon 550 and they work well also.

Best,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

AVanGorder
03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
I have 4 of them mounted in my trailer. They do a good job of keeping the 30BRs fed.

The first one I bought for $15 figuring that if it was junk I could just toss it. After that, Julia wanted one. She now has two on her work bench. I also have one on my "spare" bench.

Adrian

OldSwede
03-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I find that they of course are not as sturdy as the Rockchucker" series. Of course, they are also not as bulky, not as heavy, etc. I find mine perfectly adequate and then some for the reloading I do (.308, .45-70, .375 Win, .204, .22 Hornet, etc.)

Gene Beggs
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
The RCBS Partner press is perfect for sizing benchrest cartridges at the range. You can spend more money but you cannot buy a better BR press. :D

Gene Beggs

zippy06
03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Bought mine, used. looks 25 yrs old. Yea it's junk. I also have 2 Lee turrets.:eek:
I emailed RCBS for a part number to order a primer catcher. The Tech. just sent it in the mail. Called it warranty. Great company. :)
I use the partner for 6PPC, mostly.

CYanchycki
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Bought mine, used. looks 25 yrs old. Yea it's junk. I also have 2 Lee turrets.:eek:
I emailed RCBS for a part number to order a primer catcher. The Tech. just sent it in the mail. Called it warranty. Great company. :)

I bought the 2 of mine used in mint shape. They never had catchers soI will call and see if I can get a few sent my way.

Calvin

abintx
03-18-2009, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=CYanchycki;491512]I just wanted to inform all who use them, myself included(I have 2), that a litte birdy flew by and told me they are POS and NO ONE in the benchrest circuit uses them.

Just something I had to get off my chest. So who uses them besides Jackie and myself?[/QUOTE

I have and use TWO of them. They're :cool:

VaniB
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I bought the 2 of mine used in mint shape. They never had catchers soI will call and see if I can get a few sent my way.

Calvin

There must be a conspiracy about used Partner presses in mint condition being sold without the primer catchers! :confused: Same thing happened to me.... LNIB with instructions and all, but no catcher.

Mine works well enough, but I use it more as a space savng back-up press on my work bench to do another chore while my Rock-Chucker already has a die screwed into it. My main complaint is that it's a PIA trying to catch the ejected primer without that green plastic catcher :D

HovisKM
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
A lot of Hall of Fame points have been garnered with them.....

Hovis

CYanchycki
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
for the replies.

I just wanted to prove to the non believers that they work.:p I have one with my ppc die screwed in and the other with my 6BR die.

I find they work SUPERB for those small cases. I

may not want to use it on a Ultramag or Cheytac round but those little guys are fine.

Calvin

Lynn
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Calvin
I use one for my 300 Ackley and the only trouble I ever had was the handle snapped were it threads into the ram.
The new handle was free and its been good for years now.
Lynn

wolf gray
03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Calvin,
Ah, so you tricked us! You knew all along just like we did that they are a good little press!
:D

Best,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

333smitty
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I also use them for reloading my 6PPC's. I don't need no "stinking" custom presses. :)

The Redding dies are whats really important!! :D

Bill Gammon
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
We even make a storage bag for them so I don't think they are out of date.

CYanchycki
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
is there anything you do not make a bag for?:confused:

How about my 40oz bottles of whiskey? Sure hate to see one break....;)

Calvin

virg
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I have two which I use along with Lee, Wilson, and Redding dies. Now I guess I have to sell them to some sucker since someone who doesn't know much about hand loading said they were a POS.:rolleyes:

virg

Don
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
is the poor flang mount!

Its great if you are going to permanently mount it to a surface using screws or bolts, but is a pain in the rear if you want a portable press that is clamp mounted...........this is where the custom presses really shine in that they have a good, well balance flat flang surface, designed and built in to clamp to various reloading table areas.

Yeah, a flang can be designed and added to the Partner, but makes it bulky awkward shaped and is never really balanced in order to get good leverage without torquing and cocking the press, while in use, what a pain in the rear...............Don

zippy06
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
My press came with an aluminum plate mounted to it. 2 C-clamps and I am in business.
Works with Lee Turret presses also. :D

DR4NRA
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM

I use RCBS rockchuckers, and partners, also have a piggyback II, anytime I have called for replacement parts, ie primer tubes (lost 1 moving), rebuild kits for the piggyback, and even the primer catcher which got misplaced in the move. All were sent free of charge, under their no BS warranty. :cool:
Great company. Give em a call if you need anything.

DR

Winchester 69
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Since we're on the topic of POS, Glen Zediker has touted the Lee Reloader as suitable (with an O-ring under the die) for bullet seating. Any commentary?

Donald
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I have a couple of Partners and they seem to do the job. I also have some Lee collet dies for my 223's, 243 and 22-250. They seem to do a good job, just can't full length resize with them. I also have the big Lee Classic Cast iron monster. Best press I have ever had. Love it. Fully adjustable handle and strong. Love the fact that the spent primers drop down thru the hollow ram into a tube. I think it is the equal of anything on the market. Used the Partners when I reload at the range but now I go preloaded, and use my tuners to stay on top of tune.........most of the time. The Lee case length trimmer is the cheapest, simplest and IMO the best on the market. Last I saw they don't make one for the 6ppc. I got around that by getting one for the 243 WSSM and grinding just a tad off the end of the decapper pin. Works like a charm.

Randy Gerhardt
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Its the press I use at the range for neck sizing and depriming on my bench gun