PDA

View Full Version : Vv-133

Bob Kingsbury
03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I am beginning to believe that the best use of this powder is for
fireforming cases. I like going to the range with a minimum of
equiptment , hate taking my labratory with me. A friend, and
good shooter in Punxatawney, Pa agrees with me.

Boyd Allen
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
What powder do you like?

Waylan Kisor
03-15-2009, 01:45 PM
If you have sone to sell and can ship it I will take it off your hands...

Bob Kingsbury
03-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I have a love affair going with 8208, Hopefully the new stuff will be that
good. Beyond that, H-4198 has shown incredible cosistancy in the 30BR
It has shown me a window nearly 1 grain wide in a ppc. Below 40 deg
and above 90 it has problems to, but I can live with that.
I have enough 133 to fireform cases for some time and cook
Marshmellos too

bob harrison
03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I think you may be on to something. There are other powders that seem easier to keep working. The best thing about VV 133, it is like gold, it keeps going up in value.
Bob

Bob Kingsbury
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, and you can cook a whole box of marshmellows at one time,
and not worry about seating depth

Don
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
I am beginning to believe that the best use of this powder is for
fireforming cases. I like going to the range with a minimum of
equiptment , hate taking my labratory with me. A friend, and
good shooter in Punxatawney, Pa agrees with me.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1z4uxah.jpg

maarten de ridd
03-16-2009, 03:14 AM
what is wrong with 130?
I never had the same accuracy with 133, so I never saw a reason to change.
Maarten

JerrySharrett
03-16-2009, 05:17 AM
The equipment lists are deceiving, kinda'. There is T, T32, 8208 and such as the variants of the old IMR8208. The new stuff is supposed to be called IMR8208XBR.
It would be informative if shooters of the new stuff would list it as simply XBR since many of the match printing software packages will not take but 5-6characters in that field.

glp
03-16-2009, 07:30 AM
what is wrong with 130?
Maarten

V130 seems to be a thing of the past on this side of the pond. I just don't see it listed as available by the major sellers anymore. --Greg

jackie schmidt
03-16-2009, 07:47 AM
It seems the world is devided into two camps, those that can make 133 shoot, rarely change anything, (and win), and those that struggle with it.

When you look at all of those equipment list with "T", 8208, and others, forget about it. You are not going to get any.

I have 40 pounds of 8208 in my office, I have yet to crack the lid on one.

The new powder. We will all know when it hits the shelves. But, keep in mind, one reason many of us DO NOT shoot 322 is you couldn't get two cans of it to shoot the same.

When this new powder becomes available, you had better be willing to purchace 50+ pounds to do you a while. Because if it holds with tradition, the next can you buy will not be the same stuff.

So what about N130. And 4198. Don't you think we have all tried those at one time or another. For ultimate agging capability, they are too fast. Just when you get it shooting, it wrecks the cases.

The answer is to load it at Factory Velocities. Try winning with that.

Right now I am going through sort of a learning curve, because I finally ran out of my "03 133 that I have been shooting for 4+ years. The '07 that I have now is denser, but the velocity by weight is the same. But, the agging capability seems to be a little askew, I am not totally comfortable with it just yet. But, that is part of this game. When you are forced to change components, you have no choice but to get to work and learn it. I have been spending my range time doing just that.

But, it might be a long year.

Bob, you are falling into a classic trap of many shooters. Since you cannot get what those shooters who are listed in that equipment list has, you feel like you are at a disadvantage. Sometimes it's powder, sometimes it's bullets, sometimes it's barrels.

But you are not. All it takes is to be willing to shoot what you have where it likes to be shot.

Many have figured out how to make 133 work on a consistant basis. But, due to what we can, and what we can not say in public, we cannot discuss this.

But here is a clue. A good friend came to me the other day and said, "I went way down and found a load my Rail Gun really likes". I said, "yeh, but it's not going to stay there".

He knows I'm right.........jackie

Wildcatter
03-16-2009, 08:10 AM
It seems the world is devided into two camps,
I have 40 pounds of 8208 in my office, I have yet to crack the lid on one.

The new powder. We will all know when it hits the shelves. But, keep in mind, one reason many of us DO NOT shoot 322 is you couldn't get two cans of it to shoot the same.

Many have figured out how to make 133 work on a consistant basis. But, due to what we can, and what we can not say in public, we cannot discuss this.

But here is a clue. A good friend came to me the other day and said, "I went way down and found a load my Rail Gun really likes". I said, "yeh, but it's not going to stay there".

He knows I'm right.........jackie

well if you have not shot any 8208 how come you are an expert on it? seems that there is plenty of it still out there since usually 6 or 7 of the top 10 list it.

now you say that you ran out of 133--03 and are trying to get 133--07 to shoot. sounds like you should have bought more of the 133--03 just like buying loads of 322.

what i hear this new stuff is not 322 but is 8208. the difference? the early 8208 was sold as 322 but current 322X is not the same stuff.

liljoe
03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Go ask some of those guys that are at the top of those equipment lists to sell you some of that 8208 and see what they say. Good Luck!! As far as buying more powder, I think Jackie bought almost 100lbs of that stuff before, how much more can a guy afford?? Also about the 8208, there are good lots and some not so good lots.

Its easy to look at an equipment list and say"Well that is all I have to do is go buy that stuff and win"

Joe Hynes

jackie schmidt
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
When I decide on a new purchace of powder, I buy as much as I dare to have around, about 100 pounds. I learn it, and shoot it, and do not change untill I run out.

As for 8208, I have used it in the past, the 197 lot. I only had a couple of pounds, I found it did not lend its self to the high humidity conditions we have in our Region. The stuff I have now, I took in trade. I would sell it if someone is willing to give me what it is worth.

As for the new powder, if it proves to be of worth, and better than 133, I will switch over. I have no loyalty to anything except what I think will give the Rifle the best agging capability.

But we have been down this road before. Shooters looking for the "holy grail" of powders that allows you to just pour it in there and compete. These shooters will still be waiting long after this new powder hits the market.

But as of now, we are only talking about something that is not even available. Our official NBRSA Registered Match Season starts next week end..........jackie

Bob Kingsbury
03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
what is wrong with 130?
Maarten

I30 is great, but the window is still small, about 1/4 number each way.