PDA

View Full Version : Coaxal vs Windage adj

shoerjbh10
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Are the windage adjustable rests easier and more precise to deal with, even though their slower than Coaxal??

For many years, I used a standard front rest. and shot very well as a bags squeezer.

Then came the windage adjustable top's and of course I had to have one.
I purchased a bald eagle, with the windage adjustable top, and after the learning curve I shot very well with it.

Then came the Coaxal tops. You guessed it, I had to have one
I bought one of the after market model for my bald eagle rest.
Since the purchase I only shot group/score targets from distances of 100 to 600 yd. and I have shot some very good groups and scores, and have won some matches.
But at times, I thought I was having to work extra hard to obtain my point of aim.
And sometimes were getting unaccountable wild shots. I had considered the fact that the top could be causing some of this problem.

In the last month or so, I started competing with Rimfire of course they shoot score targets.
And that brings me to my problem.
I find my Coaxial to be very difficult to get centered precisely on the X, and stay there (yes I did adjust the set screws)

At the last rimfire shoot a friend suggested I try his rest. I hesitated because I knew it would be slower, but he insisted.
I found his rest to be a more precise. My X. count went up by five on each of the next two targets.
His rest was a Fulghum rest that had the windage adjustment on the base, which made it very easy operate, and faster than my old bald eagle.

Are the windage adjustable rests easier and more precise to deal with even though they are slower than the Coaxal’s??

And/or is there a huge quality difference in the Coaxal’s??

Thanks

abintx
03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
What works best for YOU and gives you the results you want ??? Forget about everyone else. ;)

Nader
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Shoe,
You have sampled just about all the variations in rests out there,what do you think ? I think you could have saved a lot of time and money if you just stuck with bag squeezin'( it took me 10 years to figure that out). After all it is just as effective as any other method out there and almost as fast as Farley shootin'. Different set ups require different techniques but most of us are pretty good at adapting to the tools we have to work with.
Are windage rests more precise than coaxials ? Depends how you use your coaxial. You don't crank em down tight and try to make a fixed position rest out of em,they perform best when properly adjusted to a med-firm resistance level and movement is fluid and smooth.
Joel