PDA

View Full Version : Sorting 223 brass

lilswede1
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
All brass is LC
Do I sort by weight or year?
How much of a variance in weight would be a good sort. 1, 2, 5 thous.?
Headstamp dates are from 03 - 07 and weights are from 90.3 - 94.5.

Pete Wass
02-23-2009, 09:53 PM
shooting the brass I pick up from the range, checking the case length, full length resizing and removing the crimp if there is one is about as good as any other brass I have shot. I don't believe it matters one whit.

caroby
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Life is wayyyyyyyyyy to short......... Just shoot it... Ok what the heck, sort by date.....

If only a so-so accurate factory gun... Don't worry about sort...
If a very accurate factory or a purpose built full custom/semi-custom... Sort by case volume/or just buy Lapua 223 "match"...

If not useing "some" kinda wind flag, your just plinking... Wether you sort or not, shooting custom or completely factory gun.

BTW, I like LC 223/308 brass... Fine brass!
cale

mike in co
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
lake city is a facility owned by the government. it is run by a contractor.
mixed years can vary a bunch.

but as others have said, it aint a benchrest gun( this is the br forum).

load it and shoot it.

if you want match ammo start with new known brass, then some sorting may help.

do not bother with lapua 223 even match is not as good as any other lapua brass....not impressed.

better choice it to buy a bunch of us mfg brass and sort out the good stuff, use the rest for plinking( buy 500 or more to get about 300 good)

the 223 case is small enough to benefit from sorted brass...but not range brass, nor stock guns.

mike in co

AVanGorder
02-24-2009, 04:42 AM
I have several 223s. I think everyone should have at least one. Anyway, I pick up every case I can find and load them all the same. I don't see a difference, they are all minute-of-prairie dog.

Adrian

david dumas
02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
All brass is LC
Do I sort by weight or year?
How much of a variance in weight would be a good sort. 1, 2, 5 thous.?
Headstamp dates are from 03 - 07 and weights are from 90.3 - 94.5.

Lilswede,
everybody's got a opinon so here's mine,
1)lapua brass is worth the money in a good rifle( I shoot factory benchrest with a Savage model 12PLRV & a Tikka T-3)
2)LC can be made good with a little work in a good rifle
A)prep{FLS, trim to length, chamfer inside & outside case mouth, uniform flashhole & primer pocket, skim cut necks approx 80% to uniform}
B)weight cull to nearest gr. by year of headstamp

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Octopus
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
It is worth the money to buy new good brass from the same lot.

Using range pickup brass I have found the weight varies from about 86 all the way up to 104 grains. THAT IS A LOT!

The heavy cases do not like so much powder. It is worth the the time to sort they out.

langenc
02-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Looks like Octopus has weighed it all. I have also and dont see that much difference. Federal seems th be heavier. Have not weighed that NATO?? with the circle with the cross thru it.

Many loading manuals state military is heavier and so must start out 10% lower charge. I weighed a couple hundred mixed military and RP/Winchester abd saw little difference except FC, as noted.

mike in co
02-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Looks like Octopus has weighed it all. I have also and dont see that much difference. Federal seems th be heavier. Have not weighed that NATO?? with the circle with the cross thru it.

Many loading manuals state military is heavier and so must start out 10% lower charge. I weighed a couple hundred mixed military and RP/Winchester abd saw little difference except FC, as noted.

the mil safety notice is post WWII. mil brass in 30'06 and 8mm( 7x57 ??) was popular, but varied a lot. then along comes 7.62x51 and the warning is back,,,,,,but in my opinion the warning should have been 5 percent for 7.62x51 nato.

then here comes 223/5.56. not enought difference for a warning, other than case do vary in weight/volume and one should sort by headstamp....

i have seen variation in velocity and point of impact in my ar's with mixed brass ammo....but only a bit.....

mik ein co

Larry Elliott
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Most LC 5.56 brass is in the same weight range as WW, and lighter than most other factory or military brass I've weighed. LC is generally harder than the hubs of Hades too.