PDA

View Full Version : BR Matches in Oklahoma

Doug Penttinen
02-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Will there be some up coming BR matches in Oklahoma this year and where.

Donald
02-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I belive this to be correct. Luther, Ok. NE of Oklahoma City. March 28th. Heavy Varmint, 100/200. Group. Start at 12:00. Practice at 11:00. Will be over by 5:30 or so. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Come on up and shoot at the range Mike Ratigan calls Benchrest Hell. ;)

Donald

caroby
02-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Yep, Don's spot on...

Doug, here is the Luther, Ok match dates...

March 28th Hv Okla St and mid-con regional

April 18th LV Okla state

May 9th SP Okla state and mid-con regional

------------------------------------------------------------------

Denton match dates...

2009 Registered Matches

*April 4th & 5th NBRSA- Texas Showdown 4 Gun 200, 5 shot UNL.

*August 15th & 16th NBRSA- Hotter’N Hell Gulf Coast Region LV-SP, 100-200

*October 10th & 11th IBS- Denton IBS Texas State Championship Sat. 100-200 Score, Sun 100-200 HV Group

$ 40/day entry fee. Saturday match will start at 9am, Sunday 8am

2009 Club Matches

March 8th 100 yd --club
May 10th 200 yd ---club
June 7th 100 yd ---club
July 13th 200 yd --club
Aug 9th 100 yd -- club
Sept 13th 200 yd -- club
Nov 8th -- club

Most any bolt action gun allowed. $25.00 entry fee. Bench Drawing at 9am, shoot at 10am.
There will be a prize for the yearly points champion (Shooter of the Year).
The Shooter of the year will earn the most points from 5 of the 7 club matches with the 2 lowest scoring matches thrown out. Points to be given as follows- 1 point for each shooter you beat plus 2 points for each match you attend.

I do not have any info yet on additional Mid Continent shoots... Hope by mid March.....?

E-mail me or PM for a map/directions to the Luther (Okie Shooters club) NBRSA group shoot. It's really pretty easy just ENE of OKC/Edmond...

Look forward to meeting ya,
cale

Doug Penttinen
02-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Can you tell me where the range is located, I have wanted to come up there and shoot

caroby
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Can you tell me where the range is located, I have wanted to come up there and shoot

Ok, for all those wanting to shoot the fabled Luther range of Oklahoma...
Here's a bitmap ...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/caroby70/DirectionstoOKIEShooters.jpg

cale

Doug Penttinen
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
When you say tall how tall do you have to get ???

caroby
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
When you say tall how tall do you have to get ???

Bring what ya got... Unlike Denton where 15" (yes inches) flag stands are required to shoot the 200yd ... Luther, especially on the West side the typical height to get your flag tops anywhere near the bullets flight path/"in the scope" is about 15 - 18' .... (Yes feet)...:o:D

Everyone around ya will have flags waaaay up there to look at...! The range loading area is covered as is the 30 bench line...

Hope you can make it Doug,
cale

Doug Penttinen
02-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Since March 28th is on a Saturday that is even more promising for me. I will make every effort to make that match.
I looked it up and it is like 232 miles from my door step here in North Dallas.
I might see if my shooting partner might want to heap that way as well. Glenn Chism/
I can get about half that height on the flags for 200 and thats it....But what the hay, I can't read them anyway...

Sounds like a real good time. Thanks again for the information and will look forward to it.We here in the Gulf Coast region have a match the 21 st and 22nd down in Tomball Texas which is just North of Houston

caroby
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Great...! Drag ole Glenn up..! Me and Glenn have talked about shoot'n Luther one of these days.

BTW,
All the roads are marked very well.

It'll be a hoot!

cale

Doug Penttinen
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Have you and I ever met?

Have you shot in Denton?

Rex Reneau
02-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Doug
If you can get loose, I will be at the range Friday afternoon and you can practice til 10pm. Yes, we have lights. Gets really nice at night. There are plenty of motels in Edmond. Edmond is on the west side of I-35.
Hope you guys can make it. It's not near as bad as they say, unless the wind
blows.The first time Gary Vincent came to Luther, he said" I didn't know you had trees in Oklahoma. We are surrounded with trees.

Rex

Richard
02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
It might help you out.

Richard

Donald
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
You Texas guys can stay on I35 almost all the way. Just get off on old Hwy 66 going east to Luther. Besides you can take a look at the big round barn at Arcadia. Quite a landmark.

Donald

Doug Penttinen
02-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks for all the information about the shoots. Sure will try to get up that way.
Being in the commercial construction industry I have a couple of projects that are late getting going due to the economy right now and they will be starting up the first part of March. It really depends on how far along they get since the customer will want to make up his lost time on my schedule...

I'm still hoping it will be promising and I can get away. I don't think Friday will be a option but I would leave Dallas kind of early to get up there in time to try and shoot a few rounds

Thanks again and hope to be there

Doug Penttinen
02-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Our all the matches you listed registered matches?? I'm sure they are.

Doug Penttinen
02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Pulled the range up on Google Earth and got a birds eye view. Pretty cool

JDumas
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Our all the matches you listed registered matches?? I'm sure they are.

Are Registered NBRSA matches, 2 of the matches are for Mid-Continent points (March 28th an May 9th matches). while 3 are for Okla State points.

Hope this helps an I got the dates right :o:D

JD

keppler
02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Would you guy's mind if someone who knows nothing about bench rest showed up?
I grew up shooting and still do but just hunting and informal target shooting with factory rifles. I've been reading the forum for awhile and find the level of accuracy simply amazing.
If you would rather not have an audience I completely understand.

Richard
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Luther is a great place to shoot, it's one of my favorite places. Look me up if you come. You would be more than welcome.

Richard Brensing

Rex Reneau
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Keppler
What I would do if I were you is come and watch the first one. Ask all the questions you can think of. Everyone likes to see a new guy. I can bring a spotting scope for you to use. Watch how we score, how the backers work, and just take it all in. The match we have in April, come over and we will have everything you need to shoot the match. All you need is a pair of hearing protectors. You will need to join the NBRSA but you get to shoot for $2 being your first match. I will supply bullets, powder, primers and all you need.We actually did this for Cale Roby at the Super Shoot and he has not been normal since. If you like that match, come back in May and we will do the same thing. I don't think you would enjoy shooting your factory gun. It may shoot great but can be really frustrating if you don't feel you are even competitive. Believe me, I did that with a 22-250 in 1977 and it really wasn't much fun. Keppler, I am not doing you a favor. I have never taken drugs but have thought about going to "Recovery" classes at my church because of my addiction to Benchrest. Many a men has been lead a stray on this road to accuracy. If you don't like benchrest, you haven't spent alot of money on something you are not going to enjoy. Can you beat an offer like that.
Rex

langenc
02-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Wonder why matches and results are not posted in the appropriate section. I really thought this summer would be different.

Richard
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
interested in going to a match. Geeze:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just love BR censors. Maybe your ought to look in the NBRSA records and see who Rex is. That he is willing to help a potential new shooter is a good thing.

Richard Brensing

Doug Penttinen
02-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Doug
If you can get loose, I will be at the range Friday afternoon and you can practice til 10pm. Yes, we have lights. Gets really nice at night. There are plenty of motels in Edmond. Edmond is on the west side of I-35.
Hope you guys can make it. It's not near as bad as they say, unless the wind
blows.The first time Gary Vincent came to Luther, he said" I didn't know you had trees in Oklahoma. We are surrounded with trees.

Rex

After reading back thru these posts it does not look like I thanked you for the invite to come up Friday evening and shoot till 10 PM.
I may certainly try to get away from Dallas that afternoon. How easy is it to find the range close or after dark

Donald
02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Doug,
It should not be too difficult to find after dark. The turn north from Luther is pretty easy to see and find. Just keep your eyes open for Waterloo Rd and make a right there (east). The turn north on Dobbs road can sneak up on you as it is just over a rise in the road. Once on Dobbs just keep going north untill you come to the range. You will of course come to a cross road but just go on across. Looks kind of like you may be driving out into the pasture but the road is OK even if it has been raining. I might add that cell phone reception at the range is somewhat unpredictable, at least on my phone.

Donald

Donald

caroby
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Doug, not ever being there before, finding it at night "may" be a bit of a challange....

But,

About couple hundred yards from Luther/Luther Rd on HWY66 on your right (south) you'll see a red lit scrolling sign that the Luther chamber of commerce put up to welcome visitors.... This is a good night landmark... JUST after this is Luther Rd... Turn left (North)....

Now at about 5 miles North you'll come across Waterloo Rd.... Here ya cant miss it cause one step further North and it's all gravel... Up to this point Luther Rd is paved....
At Waterloo, turn right (east) and at about .9 of a mile you'll see the Dobbs street sign.... Turn left (North) and >> keep going North >no turns< "straight to the gate" <<... With this, you'll drive right to it.

BTW all the street signs are up and clearly marked... Bridges too:rolleyes::D

Rex was right about me...."Not the same since"... He just didn't know I was a tad off to begin with.......! Haaaaaaaaa:p:D

You'll have a great time!
Hope ya can make it,
cale

Doug Penttinen
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Well guys
I'm sure gonna try to get up there. I want to take Rex up on his offer and shoot some Friday evening. It all depends on when I can sneak out of Dallas.
I'll be packed that Friday ready to leave but it again depends on what is going on at my construction site in downtown Dallas.
Got several project's kicking off at the well known Mercantile building. If it allows me to leave there wont be nothing but dust behind the truck..
:D

keppler
03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
I'll have to check my schedule as I work a rotating shift but I'll sure try to make one if not both of the matches. I sure appreciate the offers and would be happy to just watch and learn. I know I don't own anything that would be anywhere near as accurate as even a bad benchrest rifle. I understand all to much about accuracy being addictive or at least the pursuit of accuracy.
Thanks for all the offers and hopefully I'll be able to attend...theres always vacation days.

Mike E
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
planning on attending match is there any limit on the number of shooters? Hate to drive that far and not get to shoot.

caroby
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
planning on attending match is there any limit on the number of shooters? Hate to drive that far and not get to shoot.

No sir....! 30 benches and if more shooters, there will be a second relay.

Not to worry. As well, plenty of loading room. All covered...

Parking "could" get tricky....:D But their should be room to park inside the gated area...

Ya know Larry Scharnhorst....? He's a fellow Missorian who typically makes the first Luther registered Mid-Continent shoots.

Come on down to shoot with us OKIES..!:)

Hope ya can make it Mike,
cale