PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax was NASTY Today!!!

AVanGorder
02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
The wind was horrible - Not a fun day at the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club. Well, at least as far as shooting is concerned. Met some new shooters, good people, I had a good time visiting.

One picture is attached but click on the link below to see some pics I took.
http://imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/matches/fairfax20090215

http://photos.imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/matches/fairfax20090215/websize/Shooters3.jpg

steve stanley
02-15-2009, 05:25 PM
It was a cold tough day at Fairfax, She has gave us a hard way to go this winter with tough conditions every match, I think there has been only 3 250 scores shot all winter. The wind was gusty and switchy with a lot of hard switches pretty severe velocitiy changes along with pretty intense mirage. Herb Llewellen won VFS with a 249 and Dick Spencer was 2nd with 249 with Wayne France was 3rd w 248. I don't remember the x counts but the order is correct. We had a good crop of new shooter with 5 or 6 I think and they were all fired up with the game by days end and all said they would be back.Kasey from Waynesboro came by to look around and Hal Drake put a gun and ammo in his hand and got him signed up and he shot very well for his first match considering the conditions and a 200 yd match at that, I had a new guy as well from Bedford, Johnny Whorley, I let him drive one of my guns and he did well also and most important he had a ball. I think these 2 are hooked good and we will have 2 new shooters full time as soon as they can round up some guns. I don't recall the names of the guys that won factory and custom class but they seemed to have a large time also, ther were a whole lot of smiles at the end of the day. I had a great day helping out Johnny and watching all the new guys having such a good time. Thanks for coming and hope to see ya'll back next time. Great shooting to Herb, Dick and Wayne and the rest. See ya at the range, Steve

Doug Penttinen
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Glad to see all the guys aout there braving the elements..... I thought that our range here in Texas was about the only one that had to deal with baffels down range.
If that is the case and you have them it looks like you had a pretty good right to left coming thru there..

Good shooting to all those that were out there

notime2shoot
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I agree and disagree with Adrian. The wind was really nasty- This was the first time my son and I had ever shot with wind flags. It probably made it a little easier for us because we really didn't know what to look for. It's definitely a different world. Thanks to all of the shooters who helped us out and always offered encouragement. I disagree that it was a terrible day--We had one of the best times ever shooting! Where else can you go and meet so many nice and courteous people, get so much advice and knowledge and be treated as though we all had been shooting buddies for years? Alex and I thank each and every one of you for a day of shooting we will never forget. By the way Adrian, Alex wants 1 of every left- handed bolt benchrest guns you own. Thanks to you and Fairfax Rod and Gun for getting us hooked on this sport.
Kevin

Dick Grosbier
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Congratulations to my Buddy Herbie and also Dick and Wayne.
See you guys in March

Dick

gtofan
02-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Wish I could have made it out, had some family in town and the weekend was filled.

I will definately make it next time....Adrian, how was your world tour :D ?

Bill Wynne
02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Those are great photos. We went through the same type of wind at the San Angelo Gun Club Last week our practice 50/50 match. I will share part of the match report with you.

A truly amazing feat of arms

(Shooting in the wind)

On Tuesday, February 10, 2009, six of the most hardy (or crazy fools) rimfire shooters gathered to shoot our Tuesday 50/50 practice match.

It was noted that there was a strong breeze from the general direction of SSW. The winds were from 22 to 25 mph with gusts up to 46. Under the conditions, we did OK.

In the first match, if you can call it that, Larry shot an amazing 246 with 10X for first and Bill shot a respectable 243 with 9X for second and Jack scored 236 with 5X for third. An interesting note to this fiasco is that Larry didnít bother to set up wind flags but he did admit to looking at Steveís while they were still standing.

The second match was won by Steve with a 234. Larry was second with 233 and J. D. placed 3rd with a 232. Since I am writing this, I will note that Bill shot a respectable 229 11X even with though he failed to shoot at one target. O Well!

Concho Bill

AVanGorder
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Wish I could have made it out, had some family in town and the weekend was filled.

I will definately make it next time....Adrian, how was your world tour :D ?

Doug, I told Kevin and Alex about the nickel betting on the Factory matches. :)

Adrian

AVanGorder
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Kevin, you and Alex gotta meet me at the range. I'll bring my portable reloading shed, get you guys loading and then we'll send the ammo down range. I have a red rifle for Alex to test drive. What do you think?

Adrian

When you get a minute, send me some of your 222 data.

notime2shoot
02-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Adrian we will definitely take you up on that. I like shooting my factory rifle but I don't think I can pass up a shot at a 30BR.. My only problem is that I have to buy two--one right and one left.. I have been looking at the classified ads but as we spoke earlier, am going to need some help in choosing the right one. I will send you an email on the 222 data.
Kevin

TBonz
02-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Adrian,

Count me in on it too...I'll bring my toys for all to play with!

Tom