PDA

View Full Version : Dispensing Powder charges ?

Just Mike
02-13-2009, 06:45 AM
How do you dispense your powder charge? I mean do you weight each or just use a measure to throw'em (after setting with a scale of course)?

If you use throw with a measure which one is your choice?

(This double post is intentional to see if there is a difference between how point blank shooters and long range guys do things.)

f d shuster
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Ball powder, ( rarely used) is thrown with an RCBS "Uniflow". Extruded powders, because of the problem with the drum cutting the stick kernals, that for me result in too much variation, are weighed on an RCBS 505 beam scale: takes 15 minutes to weigh 20 charges. guess that's why the electronic (RCBS 1500 Chargemaster, for example), are so popular.

goodgrouper
02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
How do you dispense your powder charge? I mean do you weight each or just use a measure to throw'em (after setting with a scale of course)?

If you use throw with a measure which one is your choice?

(This double post is intentional to see if there is a difference between how point blank shooters and long range guys do things.)

Oh yes, the short range and the long range crowds do things very differently in regards to this question.

The short range guys mostly use high end throwers with small kernal powders that measure out very good with a little practice. Some do set up a scale to see what volume changes may have occured if they're trying to hit a specific load, but most the powders being used in 6ppc's can't really be dangerously overcharged and the shooter gets used to seeing the powder come so far up the neck and he knows he's in the ballpark. From there, it's a little testing and shooting in the warm up match or on practice day to fine tune things for the particular range and conditions.

These same high end throwers (I use a Harrells) don't throw near as accurate when you start loading large kernal powders typically used in long range rifles. So most charges are thrown and then trickled up to an exact weight at home and then brought to the match. However, a few guys do load for 1000 yard matches at the range. I have used my RCBS Chargemaster for the job and it has worked great so long as I kept it leveled and out of the wind. But typically, long range calibers stay in their "node" better than 6ppc's and pre loaded ammo works just fine unless drastic temperature changes are encountered.

realm-aw
02-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Spent my stimulus check on an Accuab scale. Have an Ohaus 10-10 and a Redding benchest charger. Using benchmark powder and throwing 27 grain charges there seems to be about .3 grain + - variation. Low humidity (10-20%) may be part of the problem, but I was stunned by how bad my technique at throwing charges proved to be. Now I just weigh everything on the Acculab.

Jerry H
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
You are not that bad, just realistic!