PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Bench question

bluegrassman
02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I am constructing 2 shooting benches on my property to practice shooting my 6ppc bench gun. I am pouring a 6'x6' concrete pad with cinder block as the legs. My question is about top. I know a concrete top is the most stable, but I prefer a wood top. My hart rest digs into wood better than concrete. Does a concrete top have less vibration than wood? I am giving up any accuracy with a wood framed top over a poured concrete top?

Thanks,
Michael

John Kielly
02-13-2009, 03:32 AM
How about gluing a sheet of inch marine ply onto a good solid concrete top?

TonyinKY
02-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Bluegrassman,
Bluegrass as the music or location? Thought you may be a Kentucky shooter.

abintx
02-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I am constructing 2 shooting benches on my property to practice shooting my 6ppc bench gun. I am pouring a 6'x6' concrete pad with cinder block as the legs. My question is about top. I know a concrete top is the most stable, but I prefer a wood top. My hart rest digs into wood better than concrete. Does a concrete top have less vibration than wood? I am giving up any accuracy with a wood framed top over a poured concrete top? Thanks, Michael

DON'T GIVE UP ACCURACY! Nothing beats the solidity of a concrete top. Purchase SUPER FEET and you won't have to worry about your front rest moving around or pounding spikes into the concrete top. Available from Dave Dohrmann at http://www.tru-kote.com/. :cool:

Bill Wynne
02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I know a concrete top is the most stable, but I prefer a wood top. My hart rest digs into wood better than concrete. Does a concrete top have less vibration than wood? I am giving up any accuracy with a wood framed top over a poured concrete top?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

Wood will work just fine if that is what you want. Concrete will last much longer and need little or no maintenance. There are MDF (medium density fiberboard) products that are designed to be used outside that will work well. "Exteria" is one brand name.

I have a shooting bench that is in my warehouse that has painted "exteria". It is just as stable and vibration free as concrete but it is used inside.

As a builder, I prefer concrete for shooting bench tops. As a shooter who has shot off of various types of wood topped benches and concrete topped benches I don't believe that it matters.

I like John Kielly's idea about the plywood. I use something like Super Feet that James Pappas makes. You can get about the same thing by using a quarter with a small hole drilled in the center and the foot only costs 25 cents.

Concho Bill

bluegrassman
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. Are the superfeet on a concrete bench as stable as the sharp points on my hart rest actually dug into the wood on a wood top version?
I live in Allons, TN. Any of you benchrest shooters live anywhere close?

Thanks, Mike

Dick Grosbier
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I live in Allons, TN. Any of you benchrest shooters live anywhere close?

Thanks, Mike

Unless I messed up on my map checking you are not very far away from Gallatin Gun Club
P.O. Box 593
Gallatin, TN 37066-0593
(615) 517-5413

They hold IBS Score matches several times a year, I imagine Rick Fox tnmountainaire@bellsouth.net who runs things there could give you some information on nearby shooters .

Bill Wynne
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. Are the superfeet on a concrete bench as stable as the sharp points on my hart rest actually dug into the wood on a wood top version?

Thanks, Mike

Yes they are, Mike. All things considered, concrete is best.

Concho Bill