PDA

View Full Version : Benchrest stock for Cooper?

dantiff2
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I know a fella looking for a benchrest or heavy benchrest style stock for a Cooper he had built. Can anyone help with some suggestions. I believe it's a model 21 action.

thanks

Dan

crb
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Tell him to give Don Stith a call. Don's Dart stock is a variation on the current popular 'angular' stocks [ I call them Coffin butt because of the shape of the buttplate ]. Don owns the St Louis Rifle Co you see in the banner ads on this site.

mothball10x
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Dan, if that fellow is still interested in a stock for a Cooper have him give me a call. thanks, tom. 215-674-4945

dantiff2
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Tom i'll let you know. I'll say something to him tomorrow, thanks

Dan

alinwa
02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, what I did with mine........

Is I layed it down sideways on the table saw and flattened the bottom, took off about 1/2" of depth. After it was done I was planing it off and realized DUHHHH :eek: "I could have just planed the whole thing off!" The grain is all twisted up and gnarly, "fiddlebacked" all to heck but sharp planer blades would have shaved right through that. Light cut and repeated passes.

Once it was flattened I laminated a slick piece of 3/8" White Oak on and filled the edges with bondo. The HUGE advantage to this method is that you can offset the 3" forend clear to the left by getting rid of the unnecessary meat on the right side and epoxying the oaken plate far left.

I did actually use the power plane and power sander to reshape the bottom of the buttstock to better fit my bags. A liddle trick here..... instead of adding to the bottom of he stock to make the angle better, cut the bottom end OFF! It works great.....

Kindofa' "benchrest conversion" without having to go BUY a stock....

just joking witcha'

:D

Coopers have some fine wood generally...... just had to see if I could get a rise out of you. :)

dantiff2
02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Mothball 10x do you still want to get rid of that stock?

mothball10x
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Dan,yes the stock is for sale,$250.00 plus actual shipping cost. If you want to see pictures of it ,give me a email address and I will send them to you.
thanks,
Tom

notime2shoot
02-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Tom, if the stock is still for sale could I see a picture. Tried to send you email yesterday with my email but it would not go though. Thanks

CYanchycki
02-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Well, what I did with mine........

Is I layed it down sideways on the table saw and flattened the bottom, took off about 1/2" of depth. After it was done I was planing it off and realized DUHHHH :eek: "I could have just planed the whole thing off!" The grain is all twisted up and gnarly, "fiddlebacked" all to heck but sharp planer blades would have shaved right through that. Light cut and repeated passes.

Once it was flattened I laminated a slick piece of 3/8" White Oak on and filled the edges with bondo. The HUGE advantage to this method is that you can offset the 3" forend clear to the left by getting rid of the unnecessary meat on the right side and epoxying the oaken plate far left.

I did actually use the power plane and power sander to reshape the bottom of the buttstock to better fit my bags. A liddle trick here..... instead of adding to the bottom of he stock to make the angle better, cut the bottom end OFF! It works great.....

Kindofa' "benchrest conversion" without having to go BUY a stock....

just joking witcha'

:D

Coopers have some fine wood generally...... just had to see if I could get a rise out of you. :)

that is pretty much what I told a buddy of mine who is a new owner if a Cooper 22 rimfire. It is some beautiful walnut on his stock.

I told him that I hope it shoots as well as it looks cause I would sure hate to see some nice walnut go to waste. I told him if it did not shoot well I would take the walnut off his hands to make some drink coasters or a few coffee table legs.

The barrel could be used as a tomato stake or seal the bottom end of the action and you would have a pretty expensive peace pipe.:eek::eek:

Calvin

tberridge
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Tom, if the stock is still for sale could I see a picture. Tried to send you email yesterday with my email but it would not go though. Thanks

Kevin,sorry the stock has been sold.
tom