PDA

View Full Version : Removing Imperial Sizing Wax from cases

John Kielly
02-02-2009, 12:47 AM
I have to body die several hundered cases at one time.

Does anybody have a quick & easy way to dewax them afterwards? I've never warmed to the idea of dumping cases in tumbler medium although I'm sure that it would be the least painful way of getting the job done. The idea of filling my carefully managed cases with dust & maybe grit just doesn't appeal to me.

I could spin them individually in my K & M caseholder & wipe them off with an old towel, but I reckon that I need a little extra help to get the job done. Anybody use a solvent that won't stir up asthmatic lungs?

John

AVanGorder
02-02-2009, 04:49 AM
I use such a small about of the lube that I've never had a need to remove it.

crb
02-02-2009, 05:09 AM
I wipe mine off with the ubiquitous Scott shop towel.

JerrySharrett
02-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Ditto. Even leaving the wax on is fine if you have used a reasonable amount.

(wax on, wax off--remember that one?)

JD Mock
02-02-2009, 05:33 AM
After priming with a K&M tool, I hold the case firmly in the tool and wipe it with an old towel. I got this idea from Rex Reneau. Good shooting...James

NesikaChad
02-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Boiling with water/simple green in a fat fryer sure works good.

Locoweed
02-02-2009, 07:07 AM
I lay them on an old bath towel, piling them up in the center. Then I give them a squirt of charcoal lighter fluid. Then fold the towel into thirds lengthwise, encapsulating the cases in the folds. Then grab each end of the towel, pick it up, and lifting one hand after another, tumble them back and forth in the towel for a minute or two. Cleans them up great. I even do this after taking them out of the tumbler to remove the red dust.

Larry Willis
02-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Man . . . . they don't call him Locoweed for nothing . . . . I sure hope he isn't a smoker.

- Innovative

J. Pendergraft
02-02-2009, 07:57 AM
The small micro fiber towels are superb for wiping cases and one towel will last an amazingly long time before it gets too dirty to do the job. I had always used shop towels, paper towels, misc rags & etc until someone at the range handed me a micro fiber towel and said "try this". I was impressed.

David Sengelaub
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I will second that. Paper towels don't do a good job of removing the lub they just push it around. After you try the micro fiber towels you will be hooked.

Im_leary
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
When I was shooting National Match, I would normally reload 200-300 .308 at a time (every single week during the season). Wiping of the sizing lub (I used several different kinds, including Imperial) was a time consuming pain in the butt. I friend I met at Camp Perry gave me the solution, and I have used it ever since... get a large coffee can (save the lid) and punch the bottom full of holes with an awl. Put your sized cases in the can and spray a liberal dose of CRC Brake-Clean over the cases, roll them vigorously, and repeat until they are completely free of the lub (usually takes me three doses). Blowing them dry with compressed air between doses makes the job go even faster. I have heard some hypothesize that this will leave residue in the case and primer pockets... Nonsense! The people who told me this, after some questioning, admit that they never tried it. Why some people feel they must punish themselves is beyond me... At any rate, try it. I never had an issue, and I have loaded many thousands of rounds of .308 and .223 using this technique.

WalkerTXRanger
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Could you share a brand name, and where to purchase??

Thanks.

Jim Mullican
02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
walley world around automotive

chino69
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I use a spray bottle filled with denatured alcohol to remove sizing wax as well as spray lube. Lay a piece of paper towel or a cotton rag on your table, spray the cases with the alcohol, roll another towel over top and you're done.

Lou Baccino

Rooster 50
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I size my cases using imperial wax and then dump them in the tumbler for 15 min. Works great for cleaning off the wax. The only downside is getting media in the flash holes. I use lee trim studs for case length prep and usually just use one of those to clean out the flashole.

I have also just used a microfiber cloth when I have the case in the drill for trim and chamfer and debur, but only if I am doing 15 or 20 cases at a time.

John Kielly
02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks, guys.

I forgot about rolling in towels with something. I used to do that years ago to get rid of RCBS soluble lube - one wet towel & one dry one.

John

abintx
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I use such a small about of the lube that I've never had a need to remove it.

Same here !!!

Dave D.
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Just get some Tru-Kote Die Wax. Wipes completely off with a Microfiber towel. Anything else is just doing it the hard way.

...Dave

Bill Wynne
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Kielly,

I use lacquer thinner for almost everything around my shop. I bet it would work for cleaning stuff off of cases. One way of cleaning the stuff off would be to put some cases in the bottom of a coffee can and pour the thinner over them and pull the cases out and wipe them off with a rag. I would shake the cases off and let them dry before loading.

Lacquer thinner evaporates quickly. I am sure that any left would burn off when fired.:)

Let me know if this works.

Concho Bill

J. Pendergraft
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Could you share a brand name, and where to purchase??

Thanks.

You can find them lots of places. I think I got them the cheapest at Harbor Freight when they were specially priced but I also got a few from Walmart. They last a long time.

Dave Short
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM

If you mean the blue ones on a roll, yes...........I agree. They do take the wax with them, too. The only paper towels I've seen "just push the lube around" were the ultra-cheap white ones.

-Dave-:)

David Sengelaub
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
The micro fiber towels I use are cloth and can be washed and reused. I get them at Bed Bath and Beyond. For a while Shell was giving them away with 10 gal of gas. They look like a terry cloth rag

John Kielly
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
OK, I wiped the @%$*?! stuff off. Next time I'll try thinner or Jim Bean or some other solvent. :D

It's all your fault, fellas. If it wasn't for Superbowl yesterday, I wouldn't have decided to run a big batch of anything, but because we don't get your fancy oneoff ads here in Australia, I had plenty of breaks & timeouts to spin clean 300 cases & brush the neck on my handy dandy cordless drill. And I knew that with the Boss singing at half time, there wouldn't be any naughty bits on show, so I was head down then too.

I wish you could use Crazy Cloth residue as a sizing lube - it would cut out one step.....

Bill Wynne
02-03-2009, 04:03 AM
OK, I wiped the @%$*?! stuff off. Next time I'll try thinner or Jim Bean or some other solvent. :D

It's all your fault, fellas. If it wasn't for Superbowl yesterday, I wouldn't have decided to run a big batch of anything, but because we don't get your fancy oneoff ads here in Australia, I had plenty of breaks & timeouts to spin clean 300 cases & brush the neck on my handy dandy cordless drill. And I knew that with the Boss singing at half time, there wouldn't be any naughty bits on show, so I was head down then too.

I wish you could use Crazy Cloth residue as a sizing lube - it would cut out one step.....

Glad you got 'er done and glad we could help.:) If you ever need anything else, you know where to find us.

Concho Bill

Dave Short
02-03-2009, 04:16 AM

The Jim Beam is a great idea..............sure would take the edge off of a task you clearly don't enjoy. Er, wait.....did you mean as a solvent? Nah, couldn't be.......you wouldn't waste perfectly good whiskey like that, would you?;)

JerrySharrett
02-03-2009, 04:49 AM
The Jim Beam is a great idea..............sure would take the edge off of a task you clearly don't enjoy. Er, wait.....did you mean as a solvent? Nah, couldn't be.......you wouldn't waste perfectly good whiskey like that, would you?;)

John, do be careful using that Jim Beam, especially if it is a bottle of Beams Choice or Jim Beam Black.
You will end up with a bunch of slush-mouths hanging around trying to help.
Help??

Rick Curtis
02-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Mark,

You will find them in Costco as well. I think I paid 12 or 13.00 for a pack of 36. I agree with J Pendergraft they go a long way and its amazing how well they get the lube off.

Rick.

WalkerTXRanger
02-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I am off to find me a package!

Waylan Kisor
02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Switch to RCBS resizing, works a lot better and is water soluble. Wash your cases with Dawn dw detergent and hot water. For the other stuff a good bath in Laquer thinner will do the job.

langenc
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Im doing some tumbling now and the cat dept corncob is a PIA-really big one. Ever dig that stuff out of 75 cases??

jmaisto
02-21-2009, 02:22 PM
a 2" x 2" shotgun patch with 90 or 99% alcohol works better than anything i've used, one at a time. Also does a great job in your chamber as well.

Bob Kingsbury
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM
With cases such as the ppc used with small clearances, I don't like
putting them in a tumbler. It will hammer( peen) the mouth of the case.
Its easy to find with your fingernail.

Boyd Allen
02-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Back in the day, when I was writing for Shooters News,
Dave D. gave me a sample of some die wax that he had compounded, and was going to add to his line of products. I tried it, and although it was an excellent case sizing lube, I found that like many die lubes, it was hard to wipe off. I reported this to Dave, and he changed the formula. It still is an excellent sizing lube, and it wipes off easily.

Dave D.
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
You are old. Yes, I did change Die Wax formula about 1998. Also, found that Microfiber towels are the very best, and easiest way to remove case lube from cases.

...Dave

H."Snuffy"Smith
02-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Put them on a towel in the sun, that's what I do with the Pumpkins neck turning lube. The pumpkin's lube works great for neck turning...1/2 STP...1/2 half synthetic oil. Although I don't use that much sizing wax to have to do more than wipe it off. Of course, it's not a bad idea to clean your dies with Q-Tip and solvent too.

tim
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Kielly,

I use lacquer thinner for almost everything around my shop. I bet it would work for cleaning stuff off of cases. One way of cleaning the stuff off would be to put some cases in the bottom of a coffee can and pour the thinner over them and pull the cases out and wipe them off with a rag. I would shake the cases off and let them dry before loading.

Lacquer thinner evaporates quickly. I am sure that any left would burn off when fired.:)

Let me know if this works.

Concho Bill

I'll tell you about one neat thing concerning lacquer thinner and extensive use. When you get it on your hands it hits your heart in 20 seconds, no
BS, lots of folks are actually quite sensitive to other issues with it.