PDA

View Full Version : 6 ppc cases

taxman
12-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Me again.

I am just getting going on the 6mm ppc cartridge, please bare with me..

It is quite a bit of work to turn cases and do all the prep work with hand turners, so....

Realistically, how many firings can one expect from the brass?? (Lapua)

I have 40 cases that are all turned and fire formed 3x. I will be shooting vv-133 and 68gr bullets and the typical loading density.

The chamber is cut .263 diameter and I am currently neck sizing until shoulder bumping is needed.

Can I expect 5, 10 or many more until the primer pockets loosen up?

Do folks anneal ppc cases? Is it worth it in the long run?

Thanks again for any information!!!!

Tony

zippy06
12-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Taxman,
Someone sold me his old rifle. And gave me, some old brass, could barely see the head stamp. Said 50-60 firings. But, with 6PPC .262" neck. These were just some samples. Still shoot good. .250" groups.
Some people toss after a weekend group shoot. Only use 10 brass. 20 loads each. 2 days of shooting.
I am still a new guy. My brass 7 loads. Looks like they are barely worked.
Waiting on spring.:)

goodgrouper
12-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I've got brass that I've used to wear out three barrels so far and it's still going fine. The brass will usually outlast the barrels if everything is set up right with your die to chamber dimension. If you have a FL die set up to push your shoulders back .004" and you don't check it, it will wear out your webs long before your pockets are loose from a hot load.

You must also get your chambers as close as possible to each other from barrel to barrel if you want to keep the same settings on your dies.

Basically, Lapua brass was the best thing to ever happen to the 6ppc. It turns it into something it couldn't be otherwise.

Btw, loose pockets can be fixed, thinning webs cannot.

jackie schmidt
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
When someone mentions that they have wore out 3 barrels with 15 cases, my first thought is how many aggs were won during that period.

There seems to me two schools of thought when it comes to the 6PPC. One school holds that the inherent accuracy of the 6PPC allows it to respond many load windows, the shooter need only to find the correct sweet spot in the barrel harmonics.

Since many of these shooters tend to choose moderate load windows, brass, that being Lapua, will seemingly last forever.

Then there is a group of shooters who have discovered that the Lapua 220 Russian case allows the 6PPC, when fired in a properly set up Benchrest Rifle, to be shot at what can be best described as "elevated pressures". The school of thought here is that there is more to extreme accuracy, (the kind this Forum rerpresents), than simply finding the correct barrel vibration node. Allowing the powder to burn at it's most efficient rate (particuarilly 133) plays a big part.

Of course, the downside is that brass life does seem to suffer. Even with well matched dies and the most stringent adherance to tolerances is no guarantee that brass will last much more than a Two Gun Event.

So, why do shooters put up with the hassles that come with shooting in the extreme upper load window. The only reason I can give is success in The Competitive Arena.

I have always said that if the Lapua 220 Russian case dissappeared, many of us would have to start back at square one with our entire Benchrest program........jackie

goodgrouper
12-27-2008, 10:24 PM
When someone mentions that they have wore out 3 barrels with 15 cases, my first thought is how many aggs were won during that period.

There seems to me two schools of thought when it comes to the 6PPC. One school holds that the inherent accuracy of the 6PPC allows it to respond many load windows, the shooter need only to find the correct sweet spot in the barrel harmonics.

Since many of these shooters tend to choose moderate load windows, brass, that being Lapua, will seemingly last forever.

Then there is a group of shooters who have discovered that the Lapua 220 Russian case allows the 6PPC, when fired in a properly set up Benchrest Rifle, to be shot at what can be best described as "elevated pressures". The school of thought here is that there is more to extreme accuracy, (the kind this Forum rerpresents), than simply finding the correct barrel vibration node. Allowing the powder to burn at it's most efficient rate (particuarilly 133) plays a big part.

Of course, the downside is that brass life does seem to suffer. Even with well matched dies and the most stringent adherance to tolerances is no guarantee that brass will last much more than a Two Gun Event.

So, why do shooters put up with the hassles that come with shooting in the extreme upper load window. The only reason I can give is success in The Competitive Arena.

I have always said that if the Lapua 220 Russian case dissappeared, many of us would have to start back at square one with our entire Benchrest program........jackie

Jackie,
I think you read something in my post that wasn't there. But I realize I should have elaborated a bit more now. I said I had worn out three barrels with my current set of brass. I never said how many brass that was.

I prep and use 100 pieces any time I make new brass. And the accuracy from them running 29.2 to 29.9 grains of N133 is good enough to be competitive. The pilot, however, sometimes isn't! But there are heaps of winners who don't have to throw away brass after a two gun match...of that I am sure!

goodgrouper
12-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Me again.

, please bare with me..

Tony

I just noticed this. You probably meant "bear" with me........ at least I hope!!:eek::)

taxman
12-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Yes yes..... "bear" :eek:

Yesterday got up very early to go duck hunting, long day!:o