PDA

View Full Version : Rotating a Scope 90 Degrees

Locoweed
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Why can't a scope be rotated 90 degrees so that the windage knob is on top and the elevation knob is on the left side? Seems like it would be a lot easier to make adjustments to windage without reaching over and around the scope. What am I missing here?

Cheechako
12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
loco

It's done all the time. You only have to figure out a foolproof way of marking the knobs so that you turn them the right way.:cool:

Ray

Asa Yam
12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Nothing stops you from doing so. But remember, the scope's adjustments have now changed:
Windage is now the elevation adjustment;
Elevation is now the windage adjustment.

John Kielly
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
All the lefties I know do it that way with scopes with parallax adjustment up front, but:

Scopes with parallax on the turrent can't be rotated or can't be easily adjusted once you rotate the scope. Height of rings will determine this.
Some scopes have more elevation adjustment than windage (NSX Nightforce) which could be an issue.

However, most target scopes can have the knobs interchanged so you can read which is which (if you didn't work it out already - advice for blonde lefties only).

TangoTwo
12-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Won't matter how the knobs are labeled. Elevation will be on the top, windage on the side, don't matter which side.

Ken

HovisKM
12-09-2008, 07:19 AM
switch the knobs around

Hovis

Cheechako
12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Guys

Switching the knobs is not the problem. It's that the "R" on the horizontal is now "L". And vice-versa. Not a problem if you remember. But there may be times when the brass is flying and you have to make a quick adjustment and forget. Then it's too late.:eek:

"I'm 1 MOA to the left so I need to crank 4 clicks right but I really need 4 clicks left - OH CRAP."

Ray

Doug
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
If you have to look at letters, numbers or count clicks then you are missing the best way to adjust your scope!
Example is if you are "Grouping" 1 inch low and 1 inch left then put your crosshairs on the X hold the rifle steady and while looking through the scope click down and left till your croshairs are on the center of your group/last shot.
If when clicking the crosshairs move the wrong direction then just go the other way!
Its always a good idea when making big adjustments to go a couple of clicks beyound the desired setting then Back!
Forget counting clicks they only tell you that your scope makes a clicking sound.

Cheechako
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Doug

You're right, and that's the way most of us do it. But I was talking about the times when you don't have time to do it the KISS way or you're in the field and there is no bench.

Ray

Doug
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Damm Ray you sound like my brother!:(
I finally have him taking a 3 penny nail when he goes Elk & Bear hunting.
I taught him to pull the bolt out of his Ruger Single shot and use that to drive a nail through the forearm into the closest tree and then he could click to the POI while the rifle stayed in the same place.:p

Joe Haller
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
When I was coaching our local High School Rifle team, I wanted the kids to "click without looking".

The knobs on iron sights work the same way as on a scope. (Unless your are using an English Parker Hale receiver sight)

I would bring a big nut and bolt to the range. Tell them to hold the bolt upright and turn the nut to the right.

"See, as you turn the nut to the right the nut goes down on the bolt". "Just as the nut goes down on the bolt, the bullet goes DOWN on the target. Got it?"

"OK, turn the bolt sideways, and turn the nut to the left on the bolt. See, the nut is moving to the right. Your sight works the same way. The bullet goes the same way as the nut goes on the bolt."

Once they got that image in their heads, they did not have to think about it. They just did it, like a conditioned reflex. It worked for the kids. It will work for you.

Try it.

bagul
12-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Yes, that would be better. I never did have time to put my glasses on and see if its a "R" or "L" when hunting;). Only diference is i imagine the knob as the bolt and not the nut.....works the same though. And it doesnt matter if the windage knob is on the left or on the right.