PDA

View Full Version : Begginer 2

Jyoung538
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you so much for helping out with my last post. I attend school in Springfield, Missouri and I spend the summers in Dayton, Ohio. I have two rifles that match-up with what was recommended. 1) Winchester Ranger Model 70 .223cal and 2) Winchester Coyote Model 70 22-250cal. Both are equipped with a scope that is around 10-25x44 give or take 2-3 on magnification. Does anyone have a recommendation on which would be better? Both are stock. Also, it was recommended that I start going to competition to watch and/or shoot. How would I get involved in that? I have looked on the internet to try and find competitions near me and haven't found much. What are some good organizations, events, and websites to get involved in?
Thanks,
Josh

milanuk
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Generally speaking, the more accurate rifle is going to be your better choice. The problem is, if I'm not mistaken both those guns are probably built around predator/varmint hunting, and probably have 1-12" twist barrels. As such... they aren't going to be able to stabilize bullets much heavier than 55-60gr or so. While that works fine for hunting purposes out to a few hundred yards, it becomes somewhat of a handicap further out, especially if it gets at all windy. It can work; I've shot with a fellow using a bone stock Remingon 700 SPS using 55 or 60gr bullets who did okay at 600yds. Not great, but then I wasn't exactly doing stellar that day either. Both of us got waxed by my wife, shooting her .223 (custom Savage running a 1-8" tw LW barrel). But he shot what he had, and enjoyed himself.

Personally I'd use the .223 for trying out F-class; the .22-250 would dump you into F/Open right out of the gate, and I fear it would get a little too hot too fast and you'd be looking at needing a new barrel sooner than you might like. Work up a load that is as accurate as you can get at the furthest distance you have available, whether it is 100yd or 300yd or further. Lighter bullets like a 50gr might go faster, but what you need here is some (any) staying power in the wind. The heavier bullets start out slower, but they also shed less velocity during the trip down range (kind of like throwing a baseball vs. a wiffle ball). Get a good bipod (Harris or similar works just fine), and practice from the prone position if your range will allow it - you may find that the way you have your scope set up for shooting off a bench or from standing/sitting puts it too far back for comfortable use in Prone.

As far as the ranges and matches... if you take a look over on long-range.com, often you can find match announcements and such posted there. It is more or less the de facto center for American long-range Highpower Rifle discussion, including Palma, F-class and Fullbore. *Note* both Asa and I are moderators over there, but 'socialize' over here (and other forums) as well. Good information can be found all over.

If you can find a way to get ahold of your state rifle and pistol association, they should be able to put you in contact with the person who rides herd over the Highpower rifle matches around there. Explain to them that you are a new shooter interested in attending Prone &/or F-Class matches, and they should be able to hook you up with the state match schedule. From there, finding matches in nearby states shouldn't be too hard. If you have access to Google Earth, there is a kmz file for it (maintained by Asa) that lists many of the ranges available around the country (and the world).

Good luck,

Monte

Pokerplayer
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Springfield, MO has a very friendly benchrest club. They have a few members that shoot 600 & 1,000yd. They only have 50, 100, 200, and 300yd as well as pistol and Cowboy ranges,at thier range, they also have CMP matches. They have varmit matches once a month Sept thru May factory, factory custom, and unlimited. Most of the active shooters stop in, hang out, and shop at Nixa Coumtry Gun & Pawn. The owner, Rick, is a shooter, 100 to 1,000 cf as well as a 22rf br shooter. He knows when, and where other matches are held.

roninflag
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
we shoot at 500 yards here( rio salado) . at ben avery they shoot farther. the 22-250 is what i would shoot. go shoot. at 500 yards the 22-250 with 14 twist has done ok. reloading makes it more affordable. the longer bullets make it easier because they are less affected by the wind. most people are on a budget too. i would put A 9 twist barrel on the 22-250. sell the other if necessary. the 6ppc dominates the short range br. f-class has many calibers that do well. all with fast twist for caliber.