PDA

View Full Version : Strange POA Isse with my Steyr

crb
10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I discovered a 'shifting' poa when dry firing my Steyr 91. When I activate the dry fire mechanism and dry fire the rifle the crosshairs appear to shift straight down about 1/2 of the ten ring. If I am holding on the dot of an RBA target the crosshairs shift down to the bottom of the 10 ring or a bit more. It does this EVERY time. Dead consistent no matter what I do like putting pressure on the receiver, etc.

These guns have a floating receiver. There are two action screws; one at the very front of the stock and one at the back end of the tube that surrounds the co2 cartridge. I did shorten the rear action screw to make sure it was not bottoming out in its bore. No change.

The scope mounts are a bit weird but I did change scopes and it still does the same thing. I am going to machine a Davidson base to fit the action but I don't think it will make any diff.

The rifle actually shoots very well. Anybody got any ideas ?

Thanks
Ray

blades
10-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Do you see the same difficulty in live mode? It may be possible that the arrested fall of the hammer short of the valve is causing some sort of reaction. I do not remember if this unit has a stablizer system in it. If so that is another area of contention as they do drift out of adjustment and may not be activated in dry mode.
Both of my air pistols (pardini, FWB) have a slighty different feel in dry mode. My 2002ca annie Rifle I have only used live. Gives me enough fits that way.

ldurham
10-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Which I converted to field use, I ended up needing to add an extra action bolt in the receiver ahead of the trigger, and I also floated the barrel and airtube. I bedded the action using JB-weld.

The barrel sleeve has to go and the front band was inletted deeper in the wood to clear the tube body. Also added a short front dovetail over the barrel spiquot area for the scope mount.

I did this ten yrs ago, and the gun still shoots decent.