PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 F Class 6mmbr

richard295
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Trying to decide on whether or not to buy this rifle. After checking some posts and gun reviews, it can shoot 1/4 moa . . . . if you get a good one.
Seems like nearly half the buyers were not so lucky and ended up with rifles that had to be returned to Savage. Mostly bad barrels in the 6.5X284 . . .
Man . . . no one wants that aggravation. Is this rifle worth buying or does
the quality problems Savage has just outweigh the risk of buying? Your input is appreciated.
Richard

tiny68
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I haven't heard of any problems with the 6BR in the F-class rifle. The 6.5x284, as you mentioned, has had several barrel issues reported. I only have seen one 6BR F-class shot in person and it was a true 0.3MOA at 300 yds rifle. It seems Savage put the same long throat for the 105/107s on the LRPV with 1:12 twist 6BR which makes the lands almost untouchable with the 66-68 gr flat base bullets that the short range BR guys love. Hopefully they will correct it shortly. The beauty of the Savage is that for around $300 you can buy premium pre-fit that are really to be screwed on and headspaced. I have 6 barrels (Shilens, Douglas, PacNor, Shaw, and Hart) for my 2 Savages actions can switch between barrel in less than 15 minutes in the field. I just purchased a target action that has been trued and timed by Fred at SSS with a SSS LVT stock to make an F-class rig out of. Can't decided if it is going to be a 6BR or a 6BRX.

In short, even if you have to replace the barrel you still have a near or equal custom performance rifle for less than half of the cost of a full blow custom rig IMHO.

Luck in your choice, tiny

cv73
08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
i have a savage f-12 in 6.5x284 and the best 100yd group i have shot was .310.
maybe i just got lucky ,but i do like the easy barrel change.

Apollo
08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
tiny68 and others

Would it be possible to take the barrel from a Savage model 12 LRPV 6BR 1/12 twist and put it in the Savage F class stock? I am not a F-class shooter, but am involved in 100 yd postals. I like the heavy barrel 6 BR - but also like the F class stock.

Also, how would I find out if it has the "same long throat" as the barrel made for the 1/8 twist, before I paid for it? I shoot Bib's 67 gr flat based bullets.

Any information appreciated.

thank you

Stanley

tiny68
08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
All large shank Savage barrels are interchangable. All Target Actions and LRPV are large shank. So yes, you could switch at will. The only way I know to check the throat is with some form of a OAL tool like the Stoney Point. I guess the easy way would be to make up a dumby round with your bullet of choice seated about 1/2-3/4 out of the neck and smoke the bullet with a match. Then chamber it and see if it is contacting the lands by the smoke being rubbed off at the point of contact.

Hope that make sense, tiny

Apollo
08-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Yes, it does make sense. Now all I have to do is contact Savage to see if they will do that. Thanks for the info.

Stanley

david dumas
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
A member @ MGGOA, Twin Oaks Range, had a new 6mmbr savage @ the last club match, he got creedmoored for first and it was the first time out for this rig, now,,, bare in mind weldon is a really good shooter(way above average)and he understands loading and load development, I was impressed by his Savage 6mmbr

Bob Raymond
08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Trying to decide on whether or not to buy this rifle. After checking some posts and gun reviews, it can shoot 1/4 moa . . . . if you get a good one.
Seems like nearly half the buyers were not so lucky and ended up with rifles that had to be returned to Savage. Mostly bad barrels in the 6.5X284 . . .
Man . . . no one wants that aggravation. Is this rifle worth buying or does
the quality problems Savage has just outweigh the risk of buying? Your input is appreciated.
Richard

Buy it.

I have the 6 BR and the 6.5 and shoot them both to a 1000 yards and normally walk away with first in F/M class.

I went through three 6.5's at savages expense before I got a good barrel. The 6 BR and .308 are not prone to the same issues with chatter as the 6.5's.

Bob.