PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first Match!

Glenn Bruce
06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Well I finally did it, I shot a 600 yard F Class Match at the Cadillac Sportsman's Club in Michigan.
Next I'd like to go 600 and 1,000 F Class.
Cadillac is a great club and a very well run match. I've shot IDPA, Bullseye and a few Garand match's at Camp Perry. This was a well run, fun, safe match.

Now to my question, can you guys give me some advice on shooting techniques for F Class? I was holding the butt of the rifle very firm to my shoulder with both hands gripping the front of the stock. I shot pretty good, but I don't think this is the hot set up. How do you guys do it?
THANKS!

TomD
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
What did you shoot?

Rick Curtis
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Well Glenn,

With both hands on the front of the stock you were probably wondering why the rifle wouldn't go off! So here's a technique you might want to use to have even more fun and actually get some rounds downrange. First let's assume you are right handed, grip the pistol grip area of the stock with a firm handshake like grip and let your index finger fall naturally on the trigger. Use your left hand to squeeze your rear bag and adjust for elevation on your front rest. When you are ready to fire let your left hand rest comfortably at the rear bag. If you don't have a rear bag then use your left hand to cradle the toe of the stock.

Rick

Boblor
07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Glenn, I am glad you enjoyed shooting at the Cadillac Sportsman's Club up here in Cadillac Michigan. You Certainly did do well for your first F class match. The match winner said you were putting some good competitive pressure on him. I hope we will see you up here again soon.
There is a Long Range / Palma match this Friday, Saturday and Sunday up at Camp Grayling in Grayling Michigan (July 11, 12, 13) F class is encouraged to attend. And then another 3x600 mid range match at Cadillac the following Sunday. (July 20). Saturday the 19th is an 80 shot across the course match.
Then the next Long Range match at Grayling is September 13-14.
Information on the Grayling matches can be found on the Michigan Rifle and Pistol Association web site. Information on the Cadillac Club can be found at; cadillacsportsmansclub.org
Glenn, you might also check to see what is happening at Camp Atterbury. (sp)
You might also want to check out the Washtenaw Sportsman's Club by Ypsilanti Michigan they have a fair amount of F class shooters and is the home range of Bret Solomon a National Class winning F class shooter. Then there is also the Midland Sportsmans Club in Midland Michigan another 600 yd range that welcomes F class shooters.

About holding the rifle I know of one excellent F shooter that has the butt stock just barely touching his shoulder, his left hand on the rear bag. I do believe he is making all his windage and elevation adjustments with the very adjustable front rest and then shoots almost like free recoil and makes sure the rifle tracks straight back in the bags. His right hand is not holding on to the stock at all he just touches the trigger with his trigger finger. This is what I have been told and observed but what do I know I am still trying to figure out how to shoot off a bipod in F (tr) class.

Hope to see you soon.
Bob L

Mr.22
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Also shot my first F-Class match this past Sunday at the Cumberland Riflemen (my local club in Millville, NJ) on the 600yd range. Though am waiting a 26" White Oak upper and Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm scope, thought I would get some experience in both the pits and on the line shooting my Bushmaster DCM rifle with 75gr BH ammo (will load 80gr Sierra when my 26" upper arrives). Great fun, but don't think the Service Rifle/DCM 20" barrel and 1/4MOA sights are the 'hot ticket' for F-Class. Did manage to shoot a 138-1X on the third string. 90 degrees and lots of sun made for a 'great' mirage. Fortunately, the wind was straight down-range, for zero value. Looking forward to the next match.