PDA

View Full Version : Warren Buffet Screws Anheiser Bush With InBev's Bid

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Looks like Warren Buffet(the worlds richest man) has sold out America with his selling of shares of Anheuser Bush stock to the Belgian brewer.

I used to respect the man, but not anymore.

This ain't good for America.

It's a sad day.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/business-news/biz-buzz/2008/06/buffett-backs-inbev-bid-belgian-newspaper-says/

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/06/17/it-s-over-folks-buffet-backs-budweiser-sale.aspx

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 08:19 AM
And just so you know his Berkshire Hathaway stocks are worth $125,870 a share making it the highest stock per share in the world.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=brk.a&getquote=Get+Quote

This is why Warren Buffet took over the top spot as worlds richest man due to the increase of this stock and how many shares he has.

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Here's when it was just $100,000 a share.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/us/2006-10-24-berkshire-usat_x.htm

It got up to $151,650 a share earlier this year or last year but came back down.

He knows how to make money, but he has lost all my respect for his new move.

Paul Fielder
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
....other than change hands Brad??

It's kinda hard for me to get upset with a man & tell him what to do w/ his own $$$$. Did he have another option of selling the shares to keep it U.S. or did they not want / could not afford them??

Our local bank sold out to a big outfit from Spain and you can tell it has changed. The share holders did well though.

This is kind of a bummer....

pf

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Paul,

It's not just a normal change of hands going to another American owner. We are talking about a foreign owner takeover. That ain't good for America, nor is it good for Ansheuser Bush. Things won't stay the same as with a domestic takeover.

Anheuser Bush has been in St. Louis for years. It's probably one of the most well known companies in St. Louis. It's also provides some of the best paying jobs in the area. My hunch is if this goes through, things will change drastically including pay and more foreign people taking American jobs. If I'm wrong, and it don't happen that way, it will be a first as I know it.

Brad

Phil Deese
06-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought they were all for America and the poor!!!::rolleyes::rolleyes:

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Also, if I know folks in this area that have been a diehard Anheuser Bush customer of their fine beers, will more than likely not buy any more of their products if this takeover goes through. They can count me in as well.

Hello Miller I guess.

Brad

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Phil,

How do you know he's a democrat?

I would have sworn Warren to be a diehard Republican and support the republican party with their tax breaks to the wealthy. ;)

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I mean afterall, this guy is worth about $60 billion dollars. That's 60,000,000,000. I believe I got the 0's right. :D

Paul Fielder
06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
....are well known in the community. Would be interesting to see how it affects them.

The original Bud is one of my favorites....

pf

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Paul,

Amber Bock(my personal favorite) Michelob, and Budweiser are my favorite beers. A nice cold 34oz of Budweiser is hard to best. :D

Anheuser Bush as we have known it will be ruined after this move. I could be wrong, but most Americans will probably boycott their products.

Paul Fielder
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Paul,

Amber Bock(my personal favorite) Michelob, and Budweiser are my favorite beers. A nice cold 34oz of Budweiser is hard to best. :D

Anheuser Bush as we have known it will be ruined after this move. I could be wrong, but most Americans will probably boycott their products.

......it stinks getting older. 34oz is about all I can drink w/out affecting the scale the next day. It really ads the pounds on now that I'm reaching 40.....sigh.

I drink Miller Light but only when my wife goes to the store:-(

One of my new favorites is a drink called a paloma.....refreshing like beer but w/out all the cals.

pf

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Paul,

If I'm going to only drink say 2 beers, Amber Bock is the way I like to do it. When I drink say a 34oz mug, Budweiser is hard to beat. I like dark beer, but it seems that Budweiser hits my thirst buds better than the Amber Bock.

Paul Fielder
06-18-2008, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=brad541thb;422987]it seems that Budweiser hits my thirst buds better QUOTE]

....email sent.

pf

Chuck Bogardus
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Shiner Bock - it's one of those beers that works as well in January in St. Louis, as in July in Midland...

I'm not a fan of corporate mergers - the last one I was involved in, the company bought the outfit largely because of a superb R&D organization, and then proceeded to tell them that they could no longer work like they had been, but that they now had to adhere to the new company's processes. Which essentially resulted in dismantling the R&D organization. Stock has lost 50% in the last five years... Wonder why...

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Here's some more talk on the subject.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/CompanyFocus/BudweiserTheGreatBelgianLager.aspx

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 02:44 PM
You guys are right.

He is a democrat.

He even wants higher taxes for the wealthy including himself. Now that is strange.

http://www.nndb.com/people/445/000022379/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2008/05/20/cnn-team-fawns-over-fascinating-democrat-warren-buffett

crb
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, a new tax bracket for billionaires: 110%.

Paul Fielder
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Got me there too....thought he was repub too.

Not even sure why or where I heard that??

pf

Don
06-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Seems like August Anheuser Busch IV-Ted Kennedy act a like, is the real problem. See the following for this story.

"Chilling a Deal for Bud

By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN
Published: June 17, 2008 NYT

They call him The Fourth.

Brewer Bids $46 Billion for Anheuser-Busch (June 12, 2008)

As a child, he was a rambunctious little kid. As a teenager, he was a rebellious troublemaker, playing pranks and breaking his curfew. By college, his transgressions went well beyond youthful indiscretions: A woman he was with, a local waitress, was killed when his Corvette crashed at 6:30 in the morning. He fled the scene and was found with blood on him eight hours later. His close-knit family rallied around him, sent in high-powered lawyers, and the police dropped the investigation after evidence was misplaced.

Two years later, he was involved in a high-speed car chase with the police and was accused of trying to run over an officer with his Mercedes. Again, the family’s lawyers swooped in and he was acquitted.

When he graduated, he went to work for the family business. Now he is the chief executive.

The company? Anheuser-Busch, maker of Budweiser.

The Fourth is August Anheuser Busch IV, a descendant of Adolphus Busch, the founder of Anheuser-Busch. He just turned 44 on Sunday. He’s been running the company for about 19 months. Given his party-boy history — and, for that matter, given that he may have inherited his position more than earned it — it is perhaps not surprising that Anheuser-Busch is struggling, just as it has been for nearly a decade. Its more aggressive rivals, meanwhile, are growing at a rapid clip and becoming global.

So The Fourth is now on the receiving end of a $46.4 billion takeover bid from InBev, the Belgian-Brazilian maker of Stella Artois, Beck’s and Bass run by Carlos Brito, a tough-as-nails executive.

Mr. Brito’s offer of $65 a share in cash is a 35 percent premium over Anheuser-Busch’s 30-day average share price. And get this: The offer represents an 18 percent premium over the company’s record high of $54.97, a price Anheuser-Busch’s shareholders haven’t seen in six years.

What shareholder — one of whom is Warren E. Buffett — wouldn’t want to take the $65? They may not get the chance if The Fourth has anything to do with it. The company’s board has said it “will evaluate the proposal carefully” and will make a determination in “due course,” a view that Anheuser-Busch reiterated to me on Monday, refusing to comment further. They always say that.

Back in the real world, The Fourth, his father, August A. Busch III, and the board are already preparing to fight the offer, some people involved in the board’s deliberations said. (Other people tried to persuade me that they were all working in “good faith.”)

The Fourth told a meeting of beer distributors in Chicago in April, when rumors were swirling about the company’s ability to remain independent, that no sale would happen “on my watch.” Anheuser-Busch hired Goldman Sachs before the InBev bid was formally made, along with Citigroup, and both banks have been working overtime to build “fantasy” models that show the company is worth much more than InBev’s offer. They always do that, too.

Anheuser-Busch’s board is so stacked with Busch family members that some of its independent directors — which include Edward Whitacre Jr., the former chairman of AT&T — have privately explored the possibility of hiring their own lawyers to get independent legal advice, outside of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, which is representing the company, people involved in the talks said.

The board has historically been criticized for its governance: The Corporate Library gives Anheuser-Busch’s board a grade of D, citing, among other things, conflicts on the board. For example, the company paid $12.2 million to Enterprise Rent-A-Car — its chief executive, Andrew C. Taylor, is on the board.

And how much stock do the Busches own? Would you believe 4 percent — even less than Jerry Yang’s stake in Yahoo? Of course, some of the family’s reasons for wanting to hold onto the company have nothing to do with rewarding shareholders, and everything to do with holding onto a company around which their family identity revolves.

Already, family members and some members of management have been busily campaigning behind the scenes in St. Louis, where the company is based, to keep Anheuser-Busch from being taken over. They are trying to make the deal a political issue. Locally, it’s a hot topic.

Over the weekend, a mini-march took place before the Cardinals game against the Phillies with T-shirts and buttons calling to save Anheuser-Busch. A Web site, saveab.com, already has some 30,000 signatures, including those of the governor of Missouri and the mayor of St. Louis.

But before The Fourth and his family go too far, they should consider that their approach could backfire. Mr. Yang, the founder of Yahoo, learned the hard way just how far saying no gets you. He might lose his job because of the lengths he went to thwart Microsoft. The Bancrofts, which sold Dow Jones to Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation under duress, also learned what saying no can mean: they didn’t get a dollar more than the original offer and embarrassed themselves in the process.

That is not to say The Fourth shouldn’t seek a higher offer. (The company will most likely say that its growth trajectory makes it worth more, and will question InBev’s financing.) But it does mean trying to reach a friendly deal as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the deal could turn into a months-long soap opera revealing just how dysfunctional the family can be.

(The Fourth and his father have long had a strained relationship. Other colorful characters in the family could emerge: Years ago, The Fourth’s cousin Peter accidentally killed his friend with a rifle in his home.)

One person involved in the talks said: “We all know how the story ends. It is just a matter of how we get there that could make this interesting.”

In the end, Anheuser-Busch’s defenses are weak. There’s no staggered board and shareholders can act by written consent — meaning they can oust the board at any time quite easily. But that’s not the real point. The Busches have done a miserable job of managing the company, and shareholders have suffered.

So rather than just say no, The Fourth should sit down with Mr. Brito of InBev. And bring a Bud."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/business/17sorkin.html?_

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Don,

Thanks for the read.

It was my understanding that this was an attempt to take over Anheuser Bush sort of like a hostile takeover I guess.

I still don't welcome the deal either way.

I think it will be the end of a great company.

BC

Rock63
06-18-2008, 05:06 PM
You guys are right.

He is a democrat.

He even wants higher taxes for the wealthy including himself. Now that is strange.

All who believe that taxes should be higher need to be reminded:

The Tax calculation that you perform for the IRS is the MINIMUM Allowable, if you think it's too low, you should feel free to write a bigger check.

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Don,

This is a bit older, but according to this the Anheuser Busch don't want the takeover to take place.

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6671632&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Rock,

I hope you weren't quoting me on that in reference to me. :confused:

Don
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Don,

Thanks for the read.

It was my understanding that this was an attempt to take over Anheuser Bush sort of like a hostile takeover I guess.

I still don't welcome the deal either way.

I think it will be the end of a great company.

BC

The reality of this takeover, if it is succesfull, is that the majority of the controlling stock issues traded will come from deals cut with huge American govornment and corporate employee pension and hedge funds, the major holders in this company.

With only a 4 % holding in the company, the Busch family sold out this company along time ago...................Don

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I see your point.

Rock63
06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Rock,

I hope you weren't quoting me on that in reference to me. :confused:

You provided an excellent citation of a person who thinks taxes should be higher. To that person (and any who agree with him) I reply: Get out your checkbook and pay up now. Don't come after the rest of us because you think taxes are too low, instead you should write the check. IRS sets the MINIMUM required payment, you are free to increase the amount of your check to whatever level makes you feel good.

No brad, I don't know you or your politics so I did not intend to fire that shot at you personally, unless the above description fits your feelings on the issue.

brad541thb
06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok. No, I'm with you on that one. :D

Big Al
06-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Hardly a blip on the radar. The screw the pooch mentality has been going on since the first so called oil shortage in the 1970's.

Just one more in a long line.

I said it in the 70's and I say it again today. "You just don't sell America down the river in a day". Please remember that HELL wasn't built in a day.

Mr. D
06-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Youse guys is often missinformed! I'm so surprised (not) at you! Buffet has always been the poster boy for liberal Democrats! He always irritates conservatives because he is one of the richest men in the world, but can still be objective about politics and taxation. Example: With all the silly B.S. about overtaxing the rich that average Republicans fall for he proves every year that he pays lower than 15% on his billions! (15%, minus deductable expenses) That pi$$es off those average Republicans that like the poor rich people myths and stories about farmers losing their land to the inheritance tax! Myths!!

Rock63
06-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Dear Mr. D.

I do not know you very well, but please consider the following perspective.

Liberal Republicans
Conservative Democrats
The politics of the above two are only different in what label they choose to call themselves by.

Myself, I prefer a different label for these fine individuals:

They are all thieves who take my money from me and spend it on other people. The one commonality those elected to congress is that they want to take my money.

You can choose to pretend that one flavor or another of elected congressmen is different or special, but the truth is that they have spent the last 7 years on a drunken spending spree!

It does not matter which party is in power or which party has the presidency, the squeezing of the the taxpayer is relentless.

The claim that the parties are substantially different is a diversion from the truth.

No anger here, no attacks, just a slow simmering bitter truth.

Mr. D
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Rock63,

Nicely written post.

Would you consider that allowing campaign contributions (bribes) to be called Free Speech has created a political system that forces all men to play by a set of dirty rules to survive. There are many in politics who attempt to do the right thing, but the system makes them play by corrupt rules and we all are responsible for that! Real Campaign reform is the only way out!

tylerw02
06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Youse guys is often missinformed! I'm so surprised (not) at you! Buffet has always been the poster boy for liberal Democrats! He always irritates conservatives because he is one of the richest men in the world, but can still be objective about politics and taxation. Example: With all the silly B.S. about overtaxing the rich that average Republicans fall for he proves every year that he pays lower than 15% on his billions! (15%, minus deductable expenses) That pi$$es off those average Republicans that like the poor rich people myths and stories about farmers losing their land to the inheritance tax! Myths!!

That has nothing to do with irritating people. BTW, D, you and I both know your 15% is semantics. Why can't you show the true side of it? Furthermore, why do you act like its bad? You and I could also choose to only pay 15% on future income if we both so wished. Furthermore, that isn't a very accurate description as the money was taxed much more than 15% before it was invested.

I seriously thought you were going to end your attacks and your outlandish statements. I guess I was wrong to assume. Furthermore, it sickens me to think any so called "conservative" would be opposed to a buy out. That is capitalism and how it works.

tylerw02
06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Rock63,

Nicely written post.

Would you consider that allowing campaign contributions (bribes) to be called Free Speech has created a political system that forces all men to play by a set of dirty rules to survive. There are many in politics who attempt to do the right thing, but the system makes them play by corrupt rules and we all are responsible for that! Real Campaign reform is the only way out!

If I want to give money to somebody, why shouldn't I be allowed to?

Rock63
06-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you Mr. D,

You asked "Would you consider that allowing campaign contributions (bribes) to be called Free Speech has created a political system that forces all men to play by a set of dirty rules to survive. There are many in politics who attempt to do the right thing, but the system makes them play by corrupt rules and we all are responsible for that!"

I do accept that the system is broken.
Our congress should not be a full time job.
Our congressional pay should be the ONLY income that congressmen receive while serving.
Retirement for this job should be eliminated
Failure to be physically present for debates and votes should be a prosecutable crime (Dereliction of duty)
The congressional staffers who run things behind the scenes need to be booted out of DC after a maximum of 4 years, with a prohibition against re-hiring for any elected official, and have a 4 year ban on lobbying
Term limits of 2 terms should be retroactively applied
Campaigns should be local, not national
Campaigns should be in print media only, no tv, no radio
And criminals (those who give or take funding other than salary) should be in jail

And if elected king I will enact the above within 30 days.

brad541thb
06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Rock,

Will you run for president?

Your dead on the money. ;)

Paul Fielder
06-19-2008, 03:35 PM
you got my vote too...term limits is the only way to fix it. Make them take the same "retirement fund" the rest of us are dealt and it will get fixed quick also.

pf

Mr. D
06-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Rock63,

I don't know whether I agree with all your rules, but we are certainly on the same page.

The complexity of the job of legislating requires a great deal of experience and background. The greatest money saver we could ever institute is government financing of campaigns with the law that no one takes a dime or they go to jail. It would allow our leaders to vote their consciences instead of having to accept bribes and return favors.

Rock63
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Rock63,

I don't know whether I agree with all your rules, but we are certainly on the same page.

The complexity of the job of legislating requires a great deal of experience and background. The greatest money saver we could ever institute is government financing of campaigns with the law that no one takes a dime or they go to jail. It would allow our leaders to vote their consciences instead of having to accept bribes and return favors.

Agreed.

brad541thb
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
The days of people going into politics because they are truely wanting to make a difference and hopefully change things for the good of the people is long gone as we know it. Now that is the truth. The only change they are really worried about is their pocketbook and hopefully the full benefit package along with all the retirement benefits that come with doing so.

I posted a picture about Obama in another thread about change and how he would bring change to America. It was a joke that got deleted. But a lot of the joke in my opinion is true towards any politician. They always promise you the moon, but most never do a 1/4 of what they promise. Then they blame it on all their congress buddies who they party with on champagne and caviar on one of their fancy yachts that we help pay for. :mad:

They are all crooks.

No ifs and buts about it.

Rock63
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Brad, please send me a link to that photo, I thought it was great!

brad541thb
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Will do.

I'll just send you the picture.

It's funnier than crap. :D

I'll send it to you via pm.

BC

brad541thb
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
It's on the way. ;)

Phil Deese
06-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Where do I send to your campaign??

jwa
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
The complexity of the job of legislating requires a great deal of experience and background.

And D is voting for obama:confused:

Jerry

Mr. D
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
And D is voting for obama:confused:

Jerry

Well, of course we can't hope for another brain trust like Bush! I'll just have to settle! Let's see how McCain does against him in debates. There is good and useless experience. I'd say Bush's is useless. I have respect for McCain's experience, but not for his stated policies.

LHSmith
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Well, of course we can't hope for another brain trust like Bush! I'll just have to settle! Let's see how McCain does against him in debates. There is good and useless experience. I'd say Bush's is useless. I have respect for McCain's experience, but not for his stated policies.

................Of Rule #1 of the "d" code:Never label, name call, or denegrate (his spelling, not mine) another person's background or his beliefs. Everyone deserves courtesy and respect.

Is the sitting President an exception, "d"? In all my 16 years of education, I never heard a teacher disrespect a sitting president.........not even during the Nixon fiasco.

tylerw02
06-20-2008, 12:39 AM

My oh my, such animosity toward Bush and McCain. If I remember correctly, you, claim to be a free-thinking independent. Odd you are supporting the MOST LIBERAL member of the Senate (whos only served a partial term) over on of the most moderate and independent of ALL senators. Why such a change from the person you claim you are?

tomgrace50
06-20-2008, 07:17 AM
We All Know Who Mr D Is

Phil Deese
06-20-2008, 07:27 AM
D's vote won't really matter much, the "left Coast" will go left....The land of the "wee" and the home of the "slave"!! A lot of military folks that live there have residence in other states that are in play in the election, so their vote will go to those states, and with this gas situation most think McCain has made a good move in supporting drilling.
Looks like the congress could be shooting theirselves in the foot supporting the "Greenies"................It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people!!

Drill Now, Drill Here!! Rock The Vote!!

Mr. D
06-20-2008, 07:57 PM
................Of Rule #1 of the "d" code:Never label, name call, or denegrate (his spelling, not mine) another person's background or his beliefs. Everyone deserves courtesy and respect.

Is the sitting President an exception, "d"? In all my 16 years of education, I never heard a teacher disrespect a sitting president.........not even during the Nixon fiasco.

Disrespect for McCain, no, not at all! I just don't want to go were he's leading the country.

Disrespect for Bush! Guilty as charged! As one of my fans told me "Respect has to be earned!"

You caught me it's denigrate! But then you knew I was just a big ball of ignorance already! :D Watch for more of my missspellins and tiepoz! You'll find them! :eek:

LHSmith
06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Disrespect for Bush! Guilty as charged! As one of my fans told me "Respect has to be earned!"

.............But you also said: "EVERYONE deserves courtesy and RESPECT"

WORDS MEAN THINGS........Rush Limbaugh (and alinwa)

In other words your self-imposed posting rules are a scam?

You are proving my contention that liberals lack values.

Phil Deese
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Even has fans now!!!

brad541thb
06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Phil,

I don't know about you, but if threads keep getting deleted around here at the rate they have since the last fiasco we had about everyone playing nice, we might has well make 10 post just so 1 of them can stay. :confused:

If we are going to be watched like babies here, I'll take my pacifier elsewhere. :mad:

Now I thought that was funny.

But hey, go ahead and pull the plug. LOL!

tylerw02
06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
No response...

shepp
06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Also, if I know folks in this area that have been a diehard Anheuser Bush customer of their fine beers, will more than likely not buy any more of their products if this takeover goes through. They can count me in as well.

Hello Miller I guess.

Brad
you better do a little more research http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABMiller