PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Songs....

Pages : [1] 2

Paul Fielder
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
.....I like almost everything but Rap.....makes me want to vomit!!

Krauss & Union Station are a favorite but this song always picks me up when I'm down and takes me back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xm3SykupD0

What floats your boat??

pf

Mr. D
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Krauss & Union Station are a favorite but this song always picks me up when I'm down and takes me back.

What floats your boat??

pf

Paul, how can you criticize Rap! What other kind of music doesn't require you to be able to sing or play an instrument? :D

Allison Kraus and the Union Station floats my boat too! I friend I restored cars with wrote a song for one of her albums and knows her personally. He's been into Bluegrass all his life. I got into it though the back door of folk music of the 60's. I just sold my 5 string banjo, because I love the music, but not enough to practice it evidently!

Paul Fielder
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Paul, how can you criticize Rap! What other kind of music doesn't require you to be able to sing or play an instrument? :D

Allison Kraus and the Union Station floats my boat too! I friend I restored cars with wrote a song for one of her albums and knows her personally. He's been into Bluegrass all his life. I got into it though the back door of folk music of the 60's. I just sold my 5 string banjo, because I love the music, but not enough to practice it evidently!

I screwed up and sold a 1970 Fender Strat Starburst out of high school when I got into hunting so I could get a Leupold....I'm NOT going to say what that Ax is worth today. I could KICK myself....I have a 70's vintage Alvarez Acoustic that is worth some coin but I was too much into football and track and never did spend the time or effort to learn to play.

I wish I knew how to play the harmonica!! Perfect for a campfire and easy to transport.....I may try to take lessons some day.

Anyway, one thing we can agree one is she has the prettiest voice on the planet!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyKwigIvkI

pf

I wish rap had never been thought of.....it is like fingernails on the board to my ears!!

Louis Boyd
06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I like just about any kind of music if it's performed by skilled musicians. About 95% of what's recorded and played live today (and for all of the 60 years I've been listening) isn't. Particular favorites if done well include Inca folk music, Russian classical, Baroque, bluegrass, jazz, and rarely, hard rock. Any of those done poorly sucks. Good music can put you in a trance and move you to a different reality.

A least I can enjoy music. I've been very careful to use good hearing protection when shooting since I started. It's the one thing my father taught me correctly about firearms.

I don't want my boat to just float. I want it clipping the wave crests at 70+ knots and taking me to a secluded beach with clean sand and supurb weather.
Good music can do that.

shadow
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
joan biaz-----the night they drove old dixie down-----makes me cry. ben

Paul Fielder
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I like just about any kind of music if it's performed by skilled musicians. About 95% of what's recorded and played live today (and for all of the 60 years I've been listening) isn't. Particular favorites if done well include Inca folk music, Russian classical, Baroque, bluegrass, jazz, and rarely, hard rock. Any of those done poorly sucks. Good music can put you in a trance and move you to a different reality.

A least I can enjoy music. I've been very careful to use good hearing protection when shooting since I started. It's the one thing my father taught me correctly about firearms.

I don't want my boat to just float. I want it clipping the wave crests at 70+ knots and taking me to a secluded beach with clean sand and supurb weather.
Good music can do that.

...but old school like Led Zep , AC/DC, Stones, Hendrix, etc....

One of new favs is a Texas singer song writer Cory Morrow......Great Talent but more country w/ a hint of rock.

pf

Yote
06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Paul, I had you pegged as a Bocephus man. Was I wrong? :eek:

CYanchycki
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM let me think????????????????????? AHHHHHHHHHH, anything buy that Texan named George Strait. As a matter of fact just about anything in the Country and Bluegrass genre.

In getting back to Alison Krauss, she reminds me of a songbird. I just love watching her perform. The words come out of her mouth with very little effort.

This is one of my favorites by her a James Taylor remake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn8tixOYiZ0&feature=related

Calvin

W. owens
06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, now.. this definitely fits the general classification.

Lesee... Old country. Don't care too much for some of the modern country, It's just not my favorite.
Listen to a lot of other stuff (classical, big band). Really enjoy singing barbershop quartet though.
Guess I'm the odd one in the bunch.

Paul Fielder
06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Paul, I had you pegged as a Bocephus man. Was I wrong? :eek:

...like his daddy too.

Hank Jr, both W & W ', Merle......I like it all. Music keeps me sane. Dire Straights, Rush, Clapton....

There is a Christian Rock group called 'Third Day' that is super cool too....

pf

John Kielly
06-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Inca folk music, Russian classical, Baroque, bluegrass, jazz, and rarely, hard rock.
Louis,

How can say bluegrass & jazz without including blues? And tell me, wasn't Bach the father of jazz?

John

brad541thb
06-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I always liked Queen, Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon,and The Police.

As for favorite songs...well?

Born To Be Alive
Take It On The Run
I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore
I Want To Know What Love Is

More in to country now.

Like Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney

Three of my personal all-time favorites.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RP1G5i5q-hk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7mHaFMqde6A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JIqff16x1LE

Bill Wynne
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Some of the early Kingston Trio songs are among my favorite. Some of John Denver's. Almost all of Willie Nelson's music and who could forget Johnny Cash.

Anyone remember "Sing Along with Mitch Miller"?

Concho Bill

Mr. D
06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
joan biaz-----the night they drove old dixie down-----makes me cry. ben

I just transferred that from an old L.P. to digit CD last week!

I'm afraid I was into Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young! :D

Mr. D
06-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Some of the early Kingston Trio songs are among my favorite. Some of John Denver's. Almost all of Willie Nelson's music and who could forget Johnny Cash.

Anyone remember "Sing Along with Mitch Miller"?

Concho Bill

Mitch Miller? I'm too young to remember him, I WISH!

I think I've got all the Kingston Trios original albums. I've been trying to find a place to sell about 200 of those 60's/70's albums without having to go through selling them one by one on Ebay.

Mr. D
06-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Well, now.. this definitely fits the general classification.

Lesee... Old country. Don't care too much for some of the modern country, It's just not my favorite.
Listen to a lot of other stuff (classical, big band). Really enjoy singing barbershop quartet though.
Guess I'm the odd one in the bunch.

My Mormon buddy that I shoot with doesn't seem to like music after 1958! Oh well, he hasn't shot me or even called me a name when we argue politics and religion after 50 years, so I guess we're must be friends! :D

jackie schmidt
06-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I started playing Guitar when I was in the 9th grade. (I am 60 now). A good friend taught me the basic three chord progression, and I was ready to Rock and Roll. I did ok, as long as every song was in "E".
I bought a Fender Strat out of a pawn shop in 1965, because I wanted a guitar just like Carl Wilson played. My entire existance revolved around playing that simple riff that he did in "Help me Ronda". When I was drafted in 1968, I sold the Strat to a friend, for $50.
I never learned much lead guitar work, but perfected full chord progressions, walk ups, walk downs, and my right hand technique. It is no mistake that I love AC-DC, full power chord progressions, lots of sound, and LOUD. In my opinion, "You Shook Me All Night Long" is just about as good as it gets for just pure old Rock and Roll. (as a side note, my Wife also loved that song, untill I downloded the lyrics for her. She had a rather puzzled look as she read them).
I also love Rickey Nelson, early Elvis, The Stones, and ANYTHING by Johnny Cash. I love playing that "Luther Perkins Lick" that made the Cash sound. My favorite Johnny Cash song, "Understand Your Man".
That Verse: "You'd just say the same old things that you been sayin' all along
Just lay there on the bed and keep your mouth shut till I'm Gone
Don't give me that old familiar cryin cussin moan
Understand, your Man"
Man, that is pure poetry.
My favorite guitar accompany in any popular song though, is that ringing twelve string in Simon and Garfunkels "Sounds of Silence.
I can play the progression, it starts in A-Minor, you walk the strings to get that melody within the chord structures as it goes to G, F, C and back to the A-Minor, using the high string walk downs. But, I have NEVER been able to duplicate that sound on the originol recording with my current Strat and Marshal Amp.
Heck, one day I just might go and buy a Rikenbacker Twelve String, and what ever else I might need to get that sound, and die a happy man........jackie

Paul Fielder
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
If you like acoustic guitar, William Ackerma is good. My wife had this song playing at our small wedding in my grandmother's backyard. This one is slow but he has some faster stuff and is pretty talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffgXBZf1l_E

I always thought the title of the song was ironic for the song she wanted since we dated 10 years before we got married. Heck, she had her own apartment when I was a sophmore in highschool:-)

Probably another reason I never practiced!!

pf

chino69
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow,
Reading these threads has taken me back in time. There are certain songs I will never forget as I was growing up because they represented a sign of the times. Some of them are:
'Eve Of Destruction', 'Ballad Of The Green Berets', 'Blowing In The Wind', 'The Times They Are A'Changing', etc.

I like all music with the exception of rap; just doesn't do anything for me.
Chino69

jackie schmidt
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeh, the old "Eve of Destruction". I think a guy named Barry Mcquire sung that. That and "In the Year 2525", remember that one.
Funny thing is, you could play them now, and they would be just as current.:rolleyes:
The more things change, the more things stay the same.
One that gets me is how "we" all complain about how kids dress. I can remember the girls in my High School having to walk by the height gage to see if their mini skirts were too short.
I, personally, could never see the problem.......jackie

tylerw02
06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I tend to like anything but rap. I've played guitar since I was about 12 or 13 and tend to appreciate anybody that is a master of their instrument. I like everything from Monte Montgomery, the Eagles, SRV, to Counting Crows, Old Crow Medicine Show, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, and so on.

Flash The Cash
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM

What floats your boat??

pf

The Blues...SRV....Rolling Stones....Muddy....Wolf...Elmore James...Jimmy Reed...Hound Dog Taylor....J. B. Hutto....and so on and so forth...

I play guitar and harmonica....

chino69
06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeh, the old "Eve of Destruction". I think a guy named Barry Mcquire sung that. That and "In the Year 2525", remember that one.
Funny thing is, you could play them now, and they would be just as current.:rolleyes:
The more things change, the more things stay the same.
One that gets me is how "we" all complain about how kids dress. I can remember the girls in my High School having to walk by the height gage to see if their mini skirts were too short.
I, personally, could never see the problem.......jackie

You're right, Jackie, it was Barry McGuire. Some of the words still hold today which is true of many good songs or works of art; they are timeless.

Yeah, mini skirts and Nancy Sinatra in her 'Boots Were Made For Walking'.

Chino69

Flash The Cash
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Best rock song ever is "Honky Tonk Women" by the Rolling Stones...

jcwit
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Anything by Ferrante & Teicher or 101 Strings. Vocal Michael Murphey.

Yote
06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
For country, i was always fond Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, and Conway Twitty.

For rock it was the Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Had some good times parking with them playing on the 8 track.:D

langenc
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Check out songerize.com for a few bars of most any song.

Paul Fielder
06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHNnf6KkzQ8

Sorry Wilbur....I'm calling a muligan on a great song. It's an old tune w/ a new twist to your weekly Sunday service that you normally may be used to....

3rd Day.

CREED!!

Pretty much says it all!!

pf

Phil Deese
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Paul,
Great song!! IT ROCKS!!

Jan
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Nat King Cole :D

Flash The Cash
06-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I was always fond Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, and Conway Twitty. I'll go with Hank Williams....I can play any song he wrote.

Louis Boyd
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
There are certain songs I will never forget as I was growing up because they represented a sign of the times. Some of them are:
'Eve Of Destruction', 'Ballad Of The Green Berets', 'Blowing In The Wind', 'The Times They Are A'Changing', etc. Chino69

The song which for me brings back the strongest memories of the Vietnam War is "One" by Three Dog Night (1969). Gives me shivers whenever I hear it. I'd been married one year and left a one month old daughter to board the "Flying Tigers" 707 to Saigon by way of Anchorage. That song came out about about the time I was getting really homesick.

John Kielly
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeh, the old "Eve of Destruction". I think a guy named Barry Mcquire sung that.

Jackie,

He was out in Australia about a month ago. Sings the same but looks like Willaim Shatner does now, but without hair. I didn't realise how much older than me he was! :rolleyes:

Mr. D
06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
The song which for me brings back the strongest memories of the Vietnam War is "One" by Three Dog Night (1969).

I was leaving the supermarket a few months ago when it was cold and windy. I passed another guy in a diesel truck and we chatted on the way out about diesels. As I said goodbye, I added, "Man this is going to be a 'Three Dog Night!" He stopped dead, turned around and looked at me and said, "Is that what their name means? You mean it's so cold you need three dogs to stay warm? They're my favorite group and I never knew that!" :D

J.M.Cartwright
06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Bob Wills is still the King. Faded Love, San Antonio Rose. As he said -his music made you want to fight or ----.

Flash The Cash
06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Bob Wills is still the King. Faded Love, San Antonio Rose. As he said -his music made you want to fight or ----.

Some say that song was written as a joke and Willie Nelson doesn't care much for Bob Wills and Western Swing.....

Flash The Cash
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Mick Jagger and Sheryl Crow doing Honky Tonk Women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0o248SsSJY

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Pardon the resurrection, I just noticed this was an old thread. But I can't sleep and I'm bored so I'll add to it anyway.

Fav songs:

Led Zep---In my time of dying, Kashmir, No quarter
Rush----2112, The Necromancer/fountain of Lamneth, La villa Strongiato
Pink Floyd----Comfortably numb, Sorrow, Wish you were here
Lynryd Skynyrd-----Simple man, All I can do is write about it
ZZtop------Brown Sugar, Sure got cold after the rain fell
Rolling Stones-----Sympathy for the Devil, Monkey man, Paint it black
AC/DC------It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll, and the whole damn Back in Black album!

Hippy
03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
The truly greats CCR, Boston,AC-DC,Journey

Did I mention NO CUNTRY They all sound like they have a Close Pin on ther NOSE - Rap, When is VULGARITY considered MUSIC !!!

Disco --OH NO !!

Jim

Roger T
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Allison, Martina, Jewel, Enya, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Nazerath, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Merle, Waylon, Willie, ooooh and Wolf howls. The best for last Nitty Gritty Dirt Band The whole Dirt Silver & Gold (3 album set) Ripplin Waters best song

jackie schmidt
03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Goodgrouper, I think the two finest "rock" songs ever performed are "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC-DC, and "Honkey Tonk Woman" by The Stones.

My wife and I were listenning to "You Shook Me All Night Long" one day on the radio, and she said that she always liked that song. I asked her if she knew the Lyrics? When we got home, I downloaded them, and when she looked at the computer screen, she said, 'Oh'.

Janice Joplin's originol recording of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" on the Cheap Thrills Album is up there as well. She proved that to really do that song right, you have to be stoned, drunk, and downright ugly........jackie

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Allison, Martina, Jewel, Enya, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Nazerath, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Merle, Waylon, Willie, ooooh and Wolf howls. The best for last Nitty Gritty Dirt Band The whole Dirt Silver & Gold (3 album set) Ripplin Waters best song

I was gonna list some Sabbath songs but figured I already had too many songs listed! But Paranoid is just about the most perfect heavy metal song ever! It started a whole genre.

Jdh
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Leo Kottke playes a good 12 string and Phil Volan does the Ashokan Fairwell good.

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Goodgrouper, I think the two finest "rock" songs ever performed are "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC-DC, and "Honkey Tonk Woman" by The Stones.

My wife and I were listenning to "You Shook Me All Night Long" one day on the radio, and she said that she always liked that song. I asked her if she knew the Lyrics? When we got home, I downloaded them, and when she looked at the computer screen, she said, 'Oh'.

Janice Joplin's originol recording of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" on the Cheap Thrills Album is up there as well. She proved that to really do that song right, you have to be stoned, drunk, and downright ugly........jackie

You shook me and Honkey are sure great rock songs Jackie. One of the first songs I learned how to play on the guitar (or at least tried to) was You shook me followed by Thunderstruck.
Even if one doesn't like AC/DC, they still have to love ol' Angus. The schoolboy uniform, and how he can play all those solos while running around and sliding on the floor.....it's classic! Wish I had his energy! And he's still doing all that and he's approaching his sixties! Amazing.

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
The truly greats CCR, Boston,AC-DC,Journey

Did I mention NO CUNTRY They all sound like they have a Close Pin on ther NOSE - Rap, When is VULGARITY considered MUSIC !!!

Disco --OH NO !!

Jim

CCR never wrote a song I didn't like. Have each and every one they did on my ipod. Fortunate son, Born on the bayou, and Ramble tamble would have to make my fav list as well.

http://youtu.be/ec0XKhAHR5I
http://youtu.be/dRU8fEsq6nk

Roger T
03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
AC/DC Hells Bells, Edgar Winter "FRANKENSTIEN"

4Mesh
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Reading this thread has been a real hoot! It's sorta fun to take the opinion you have of someone on the forum and try to apply what you'd think their taste would be in music. I have to say, I'd have been wrong about 85% of the time! There's no guess'n what you people would like in music.

For me, I ain't the biggest rap fan either, but a close second to that for me is country. I've collected music since way, way way back, and I was a member of about every music club there ever was. I've got every CD I own ripped to MP3, and plenty more purchased from Walmart while they were selling mp3's. Of the thousands, (>10) I have, there is ONE country track. Yep, I like country music that much. I can listen to virtually anything, but rap and country I draw the line.

As I read all the responses and all the OLD titles / bands, "Good Morning Vietnam" came to mind and well, what "old" classics list would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6271GgnOnIw

Gotta say though, I fall more in line with Hippy's list.

I'd be hard pressed to pick just a few. Foreigner, Journey, Boston, Chicago, Def Leppard, Firehouse, Cinderella, Ozzy, Huey Lewis, Queen, REO, Starship...

How many remember The Grass Roots? Or The BeeGee's early stuff, or Mountain, or Edison Lighthouse... This is the wrong subject for me when I'm at work :D

dk hunt 14
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Lots of good choices but how about Steppenwolf and the Guess Who. Forgot Leonard Skynard.

JD Mock
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
How about the Rednecks (like myself) who like Bluegrass? I like "Almost Home " by Larry Sparks. Also, JD Crowe has a band member by the name of Richard Bennett who has a great voice. As far as the noise makers (like most rock and rappers produce, I wouldn't cross the street to hear any of them. Give me Rhonda Vincent, Tony Rice, Ricky Skaggs, or Seldom Scene any day. James

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Reading this thread has been a real hoot! It's sorta fun to take the opinion you have of someone on the forum and try to apply what you'd think their taste would be in music. I have to say, I'd have been wrong about 85% of the time! There's no guess'n what you people would like in music.

For me, I ain't the biggest rap fan either, but a close second to that for me is country. I've collected music since way, way way back, and I was a member of about every music club there ever was. I've got every CD I own ripped to MP3, and plenty more purchased from Walmart while they were selling mp3's. Of the thousands, (>10) I have, there is ONE country track. Yep, I like country music that much. I can listen to virtually anything, but rap and country I draw the line.

As I read all the responses and all the OLD titles / bands, "Good Morning Vietnam" came to mind and well, what "old" classics list would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6271GgnOnIw

Gotta say though, I fall more in line with Hippy's list.

I'd be hard pressed to pick just a few. Foreigner, Journey, Boston, Chicago, Def Leppard, Firehouse, Cinderella, Ozzy, Huey Lewis, Queen, REO, Starship...

How many remember The Grass Roots? Or The BeeGee's early stuff, or Mountain, or Edison Lighthouse... This is the wrong subject for me when I'm at work :D

The only country I can stand is Johnny Cash. Rap isn't even music in my ears. And all that processed, corporate, bubble gum, pop music where all they do is get some good lookin' girl to sing and dance it is just as bad.

I think it's cool you mentioned Cinderella. Most folks don't even know who they are. They were one of the most under rated bands of the 80's and early 90's imo. I have every one of their albums, but Heartbreak Station is probably my favorite.

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Lots of good choices but how about Steppenwolf and the Guess Who. Forgot Leonard Skynard.

Steppenwolf had a couple good songs that kicked off the term "heavy metal".

The Guess Who is classic for sure. I was rockin' them once inside my loading trailer at a match and had somebody knock on the door. I thought they were gonna tell me I had my music up to loud, but they just wanted to tell me that they loved the Guess Who and wanted it up louder!

jackie schmidt
03-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Now, Johnny Cash, that is pure poetry in song. "Just lay there on the bed and keep your mouth shut till I'm gone, don't give me that old familiar cry'in piss'in moan'in, now you'll understand your man". And I just love the Luther Perkins "boom chicka" lick that became the personification of the Johnny Cash Sound.

Goodgrouper, on You Shook Me All Night Long", Angus is actually playing a full chord progression, treating each chord as a single note, changing with each up stroke, which makes it sound like a lead, while Malcomn plays the standard "one-four-five" as the rythm. It helps to get all the reverb out of the amp, and the distortion up high.

I have included a link with what I consider the best Lead Bridge in a Rock-a-Billy song, James Burton on that Fender Jaguar does the honors.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYp7-gX8tM

........jackie

CYanchycki
03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I grew up listening to country the likes of Hank Williams, Don Williams, Charley Pride, Kenny Rogers (Lucille days) and a lot of Ethnic music. The Ethnic music in the part of Manitoba that I grew up in had a high Ukrainian/Polish population. A lot settled along and around Riding Mountain Park and the Duck Mountain Provincial Park of Manitoba. It is a lot of fun during the summer to slap in some good toe tapping Ukrainian Polka's. Trust me this is not the BIG Band type but BETTER.

Today my taste is the Country of today. That is what I reach for first. But there are the Canadian Rockers of the Late 70's and early 80's that we grew up listening to on the radio. Stampeders, Chiliwak, April Wine, The Guess Who, Loverboy, Rush (had one of the GREATEST drummers)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjOpx3ORbw&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ8qkC5GgYc&feature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ8qkC5GgYc&feature=related, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Triumph, Red Rider, Kim Mitchell and Trooper.

Favorites of Country George Strait and Garth http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-723146791672839871#

4Mesh
03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Calvin,
I don't know how long I'd listen to Polka music. I consider myself pretty diverse when it comes to listening preferences. About the only widespread genre I don't listen to is country. I can take about all other contemporary forms and most stuff even back to the Renaissance era. I've listened to some polka stuff, but it never lit my fire. Now, classical piano, classical wind, any of that I can sit and listen to. I'm probably one of the very few who gets put on hold at GoDaddy and actually likes the music they play! Old 20's swing and such, I think it's great! Some of it's sorta funny.

You mention drummers, and for all the rock I've listened to, I have rarely ever been impressed with any rock band drummer. Keyboards, guitar, yea. Drums?... Only one track comes to mind where I listen and marvel at the drummer and his ability to keep time and pace. Great White, Highway Nights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYWi3rAgR4 Another band I always liked, and, what wonderful cover art! They were great at that.

Jackie,
I have to say I was floored by some of your choices. Your another person who I'd have guessed wrong about. Maybe there's lots of us gun types who are more diverse than seems we should be. That's interesting you use Ricky Nelson as a technical example too.

I saw above a few who mentioned their dislike for Metal or harder rock, citing inability of the band members to play. While, I don't fault the dislike of the music, I think many times people don't realize just how talented some of these band members are. Regardless what type of music they play. Dig into a little history of them, and see their backgrounds, and some of em forgot more about music and instruments than most of us will ever know. One rock example I remember was, Firehouse. A Metal Rock band that was pretty much, as hard as it gets. The band leader was a classical concert pianist. All the members were musicians. And, I was a HUGE fan. Came one summer and they were doing a concert in town here in Williamsport (one of the members was a local). And they were going to play "Unplugged". I got tickets in a heartbeat, but, I was really skeptical about seeing them playing acoustic. I thought this was gonna be a real stretch... Well, they started to play, and it took about 30 seconds before everybody in the place realized, holy smokes, they're gonna ROCK the place with no electricity! What a great show, one of the best I ever saw. Who'da thunk it? Using an analogy, it would be like your expectations of a show where an opera singer is gonna do a heavy metal gig, and it turning out, great! ????

Jhart
03-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I have a couple for ya..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4&ob=av2n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVL2NGpkUGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqxY3t74To&feature=fvsr

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Goodgrouper, on You Shook Me All Night Long", Angus is actually playing a full chord progression, treating each chord as a single note, changing with each up stroke, which makes it sound like a lead, while Malcomn plays the standard "one-four-five" as the rythm. It helps to get all the reverb out of the amp, and the distortion up high.

Yeah, it's actually pretty simple now. I just meant I had a tough time with it when I first started. AC/DC is probably not the best band to try to play when you're a fresh, green rookie, but got easier eventually.;)

Hey, thanks for the link btw.

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Calvin,
You mention drummers, and for all the rock I've listened to, I have rarely ever been impressed with any rock band drummer. Keyboards, guitar, yea. Drums?...

Calvin is right............well, mostly right. He said Rush's drummer (neil peart) was one of the best. Actually, he IS the best. Nobody else even comes close. The drummer in every band I've ever played in spoke of him in holy terms. In fact, if the criteria of the "best band in the world" comes down to pure musicianship, RUSH is the best without doubt. They have THE best drummer, 2nd or 3rd best keyboard/bass players, and probably the most under rated guitarist of all time at a ranking of around 5th or 6th in my book. It's quite a line up and it's only those three guys producing a wall of sound every bit as precise and intricate as any Bach!

Watch these and be prepared to be blown away:
http://youtu.be/GHkucr1jJpQ
http://youtu.be/VoTxTM6kBuU

benenglish
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Now, Johnny Cash, that is pure poetry in song.
I took my disabled sister to the bank and when she came back out, she opened the door before I could turn off the music. (It's always too loud for her so I leave it off when she's in the car.) She heard Johnny Cash doing "Ring of Fire" and was genuinely surprised. She thought I was a rock guy, only.

I told her "Anyone who doesn't like Johnny Cash is stupid and un-American."

She thought that was a little harsh. I suppose she's partly right. But, in all seriousness, in the entire body of his work, specifically including the last few albums before he died, I think pretty much anyone of any age can find something that touches their soul.

Just a comment since I can't really contribute to the specific question posed by the thread. I have too many favorites, from songs by the Roches to the Ramones to rap to Rachmaninoff to...pretty much everything. It sort of comes with the territory; I was a bassoonist in my youth, right up until I managed to sit in with a real orchestra during college and realized "I just do NOT have enough talent to make a living at this!". :-)

(And yes, to all you naysayers, there is such a thing as good, fun rap music. In some ways the whole scene has gone downhill since the Sugar Hill Gang but if they didn't make you smile, you didn't have a pulse.)

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Did ya know, Johnny Cash is the only artist to get into all three HOF's? The country music HOF, the rock n roll HOF, and the songwriter's HOF. Any naysayers can put that little fact in their pipe and smoke it!

benenglish
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
And tell me, wasn't Bach the father of jazz?
I thought Pachelbel's Canon in D was the father of all music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

alinwa
03-09-2012, 10:14 PM
All right..... where to start? :)

I've got a wall of music, broad but not too wide since I'm not a musician. Tried to play guitar, I own a pretty Washburn, but it messed with my head. My family is very musical, wife has a Taylor and threeson plays acoustic and electric quite well. He's good enough to play Dragonforce. I remember his first song was 'Crazy Train,' he'll still warms up with it sometimes and when my 3yr-old hears Ozzie he says "hey, that's Kody!".

ANYways..... I have music with me everywhere, mp3 players, flash drives, my latest kick is loading music on micro SD cards and playing off my cell phone or a liddle something called a Sansa 'Clip.' It's about the size of a key fob. This allows me to carry 850 ALBUMS on micro SD cards. 850 albums in my wallet and they don't make a dent. This computer has over 1000 albums on it.

wild....

So, what I've listened to in the last month, in no particular order:

country
Willie, Waylon, Kris and Johnny
Ian Tyson
Bobby Bare
David Allen Coe
Bocephus
CDB
and one girl, Gail Davies

new country
Corb Lund
BR549
Tricephus
Shooter Jennings
and one girl, Lucinda Williams (she SHOULD be under Texas)

Texas
Bill Kirchen
Guy Clark
Brian Burns
Townes Van Zandt
Ray Wylie Hubbard (check this out ;) http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0S00M1EtlpPpxMAyLP7w8QF?p=youtube+ray+ wylie+hubbard&b=21&tnr=20 )
Hayes Carll
Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen
Wayne Hancock
Dale Watson
and one girl, Jessi Colter (I know, she was born in Arizona, but she left ;) )

classic rock
All the above (except the Stones, I only like their country!) plus,
Lou Reed
Slade
Queen
Poison
Whitesnake
The Who (not Who's Next, The Guess Who, or Guess)
Paul Simon
Dire Straits (basically any Knoffler, even his stuff w/Emmy Lou Harris)
Stray Cats (or anything Brian Setzer)
The Allen Parsons Project
Moody Blues
U2
UB40
Bad Company
Bob Seger
Dr Hook
Genesis/Phil Collins
Cream/Clapton/BF/Blind Faith and D and D
Guns-N-Roses
and one girl, Pat Benatar

ummm, contemporary,hiphop/hickhop/rap etc....
Will Smith
Cowboy Troy
early Beastie Boys
Shaggy
Bon Jovi
Tone Loc
Smashmouth
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Offspring
Wyclef Jean
Bobby Bare Jr
and one girl, Bjork

Instrumental
Mannheim Steamroller (or any Chip Davis/CW McCall)
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Doyle Dykes
Vangelis
Ed Van Fleet
Gary Hoey
and one girl, Charlotte Church acapella, that's instrumental/fundamental and monumental

I also listen to a lot of "soft rock" or "easy listening" but the only one I'll admit to here is Billy Joel "Goodnight Saigon")

LOL

al

4Mesh
03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Yea, he's pretty good. But having seen those clips, I still would say I was more impressed with the lead guitar work than the drums. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Drum solos are one of those things that a guy could mess up 100 times and nobody would know. So it's hard for me to look at it from a technical view and pass judgement. That's easier when there's accompaniment. As to Rush in general, I don't find myself listening to them very often. I suppose that might be partly because I have so much stuff. It takes a long time to get back around to some of it. I often scratch my head as I look at my collection of cd's/vinyl . Hell, I see here I've got 13 cd's of Rush...

It sorta makes my point tho about the people out there making music really having a lot of talent. Doesn't mean everybody has to see or appreciate it, but, in most instances, it's there.

It sounds like you're into music pretty heavy, have you ever checked out Live from Daryl's House? You might enjoy that.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/welcome.html

EDIT
Al, yer makin' me laugh. All those lists ending with, "and one girl" "and one girl", ... Funny thing, of all the tracks I have here, my country section is a whopping one song. By a girl! Actually, she didn't write it, but, Leann Rimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e8ryPDKWo Fact is, I don't listen to that one all that often either! :D

Goodgrouper, you mention "underrated". Imo, probably the most underrated band ever (never really made it on mainstream radio), was Queensryche. Some of Empire made it on the radio, but, that was about it. How could then stay so obscure??

CYanchycki
03-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Holy Smackers there AL-in-WA, Corb Lund and Ian Tyson. Those are 2 names I NEVER expected to see..............

Calvin

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
But having seen those clips, I still would say I was more impressed with the lead guitar work than the drums. Hell, I see here I've got 13 cd's of Rush...

Do you have their Caress of Steel album? The guitar work in that album is mindblowing. Here's a taste:
http://youtu.be/5NHB684BBRc

It sounds like you're into music pretty heavy, have you ever checked out Live from Daryl's House? You might enjoy that.

Yes, I do! Good stuff, especially for hearing new material.

Al, yer makin' me laugh. All those lists ending with, "and one girl" "and one girl", ... Funny thing, of all the tracks I have here, my country section is a whopping one song. By a girl! Actually, she didn't write it, but, Leann Rimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e8ryPDKWo Fact is, I don't listen to that one all that often either! :D

I have to admit, the only girl on my ipod is Sheryl Crow. She can actually play the guitar pretty well and has one hell of a sexy voice. She ain't bad lookin' either...............

Goodgrouper, you mention "underrated". Imo, probably the most underrated band ever (never really made it on mainstream radio), was Queensryche. Some of Empire made it on the radio, but, that was about it. How could then stay so obscure??

Tell me about it. Operation Mindcrime is a modern day symphonic masterpiece. When they went on tour with Metallica, they blew those boys away and a lot of the folks in the audience didn't even know who they were at the time. How could an opening band be better than the main ticket? Easy when it's Queensryche!

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 11:14 PM
One good rock band that hasn't been mentioned yet is Traffic/Steve Winwood. When Steve teams up with the Eric CLapton tour and they both play dueling guitars in Dear Mr. Fantasy, it's a little bit of heaven for the ears.
http://youtu.be/ugTaPTv0eQY

alinwa
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
EDIT

I bought Leanne Rimes 'Blue' when it came out. IMO it sounds much more natural. She had pipes when she was little.

Can't believe I fergot Queensryche.... they were hot out here in the 90's, maybe because they're from right up the road.

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Speaking of Johnny Cash, here's a band that takes a little of him, a little Elvis, and a little Danzig and mixes them into one delightfully fresh sound. They're not classics yet, but they are on their way I think. Been listening to them a bunch the last few months. They're from Denmark of all places!
http://youtu.be/lV9ucjWBcZM
http://youtu.be/vEN3mQ0ql30

goodgrouper
03-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Here's my dad's favorite song, a little Black Betty!
http://youtu.be/nU1VfYYKMDk

goodgrouper
03-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Mesh,

Since we're talking under-rated bands from the 80's and 90's, you ever heard any of The Cult? They kinda have a cult following--hence the name I 'spose!
http://youtu.be/8BMZdmFa-HU

alinwa
03-10-2012, 12:11 AM
And to add my Scandinavian accent to this menage', check out Club For Five from Finnland. Give it time, check out the band....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajm9XNZ27C4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55JlxWYo8Q

al

4Mesh
03-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Do you have their Caress of Steel album? The guitar work in that album is mindblowing. Here's a taste:

http://youtu.be/5NHB684BBRc
Yes I do. And to name the ones I have:
Rush
A Farewell To Kings
All The World's A Stage
Caress of Steel
Fly By Night
Grace Under Pressure
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Retrospective 1 & 2

I have to admit, the only girl on my ipod is Sheryl Crow. She can actually play the guitar pretty well and has one hell of a sexy voice. She ain't bad lookin' either...............I have boatloads of female artists I like, whether solo artists or just female vocals. Some even write, like Avril. I couldnt' begin to count em all. I will admit tho, I prefer them as vocals when the band (typically male) rocks. Then, there's the ones that I can't stand without accompaning male vocals, sorta like Evenescence. I hate to say it but Amy just ain't got it without Paul McCoy. There's a one-hit-wonder to me. That one track is so much different than all their other material, ya wonder, where did that come from? And more, why not follow that path rather than the elevator music they do on their own?

So, No GoGo's? Belinda Carlisle, Freida, Blondie, Benetar, Heart, Patti Smythe, Stevie Nicks, Olivia, Madonna? You've gotta have more of em on there than you're remembering.

I've been a Queensryche fan since way back. First time I heard em, I thought, wow, these guys are going somewhere. 10 years later, I was still waiting for em to get some airtime... All the while being subjected to cruel jokes like Eminem, Bruce Springsteen or Weird Al... Like, Wth? :rolleyes:

Here's another band that had a lot of good stuff but never got any airtime. Remember these guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJ30hq9xMI

I don't recall The Cult.

Al, I could listen to them. Reminds me a bit of Abba. Ya gotta listen real close to notice the accent don't ya.

bill larson
03-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Most of David Allen Cole`s work.....

Al Nyhus
03-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Doesn't get much better than what Heart delivered in their prime. Ann Wilson still has one of the best voices ever. And if sister Nancy doesn't do it for 'ya, you need to turn in your 'guy card' and check your pulse....you're likely dead.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWzy5q_M5Ho&feature=related

Nancy at 56 stll delivers the goods...beautiful and talented:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9nz-EXvg4&feature=related

ChipEckardt
03-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Partial to the band my nephew plays in. Song is "Echo", band is July Fighter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfgeG13NDhE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Chip

Al Nyhus
03-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Great song and a hilarious video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHAebKUyPM&feature=relmfu

jackie schmidt
03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Al, that was pretty hilarious, but both of them need to invest in a good ShotGun.......jackie

benenglish
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
...if sister Nancy doesn't do it for 'ya, you need to turn in your 'guy card' and check your pulse....you're likely dead.;)
It appears we share a rather strong opinion on the subject. Check out #5 on my list:
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31995&page=3&p=391172#post391172

mark-x
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4This song actually came on the radio while is was doing the stock work on my 6BR LV rifle.
It just kind of hit me as extreemly funny..now i listen to it all the time. what a great tune.

Roy Allain
03-10-2012, 01:05 PM
You guys don't know squat.

I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto. New York Philarmonic with Daniel Barenboim. Violin - Isaac Stern.

It's to die for. The most sublime music ever written.

After that, anything by Puccini, esp. if sung by Luciano Pavarotti.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

Al Nyhus
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
For anyone that likes the Motown sounds, check out 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown'. Joan Osborne simply knocks it out of the park with this rendition of a Motown classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4bqyTWHdA&feature=related

Pretty close to vocal perfection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0&ob=av2e

Beautiful woman, amazing vocalist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7I4oniOyA&ob=av2n

Butch Lambert
03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Alinwa,
Wilbur Rimes drove a truck for a small oil company that had an office in Rowlett. We did their maintenance work. His company helped him and Leanne financially until things took off. I still have a couple of her original tapes. I liked her version of Blue, it was a Bill Mack song.

4Mesh
03-10-2012, 02:33 PM

I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto. New York Philarmonic with Daniel Barenboim. Violin - Isaac Stern.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy
Roy, I could easily be caught listening to any of that. But, I like lots of stuff. My sister and brother in law just stopped in here for dinner earlier and he brought me a CD of his own stuff he just recorded. I threw it on during dinner. A bunch of R&B tracks, Van Morrison, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Gregg Allman, BB King, etc. (He's a music major who graduated in the late 60's, long time rocker, etc). I enjoyed every bit of it. I'll probably take it to work and rip it there too.

For all you R&B types, here's a classic most have forgotten...
Who remembers Procol Harum?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

Butch Lambert
03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Roy,
I thought all you coona$$ people liked Zydeco music. I sure know that I do.

Al Nyhus
03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
This is from the George Harrison memorial done at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm not a big Prince fan, but he flat shreds that Telecaster on this one. George's son Dhani seems to be enjoying it. The magic starts around 3:30 into the set....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY&feature=related

Roger T
03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I was wondering how long before a Beatle/s member/tune came up.

ChipEckardt
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Steve Moore playing the drums in Sharp Dressed Man starts getting really good about 40 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Steve is also a great guy from all accounts.

Chip

pdhntr
03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I knew there was a reason I didn't fit in here.

Anything by John Prine. Steve Earle has some good stuff too.

Jim

alinwa
03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I knew there was a reason I didn't fit in here.

Anything by John Prine. Steve Earle has some good stuff too.

Jim

"love to heart those steel belts hummin' on the asphalt..."

and

"there's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes"

Hard to believe I can enjoy the music of avowed communists but I do :)

LOL

al

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 01:40 AM
So, No GoGo's? Belinda Carlisle, Freida, Blondie, Benetar, Heart, Patti Smythe, Stevie Nicks, Olivia, Madonna? You've gotta have more of em on there than you're remembering.

I actually do have some Heart, and some Lita Ford, and one song from Joan Jett in my itunes library. But, I don't have them checked to sync to my ipod. That's the problem when you have a 16GB Ipod and over 70 GB of songs on your hard drive!

If I had any Madonna anywhere, I'd have to kick my own arse!:eek:;)

No Cult huh? If you're bored sometime, look 'em up on the web. Two of their albums were listed by Rolling Stone Mag (back in the day) on the greatest albums of hard rock--Electric and Sonic Temple. Their singer, Ian Astbury, is currently touring with the remaining members of the Doors as a replacement (dare I say that word?) for Jim Morrison. Saw them on HDNET the other night and I coulda swore it was Jim singing every note. He even freaking looked like Jim!

A few of their most radio played songs you mighta heard, maybe:
http://youtu.be/HNcpasj__WY
http://youtu.be/nNobN73F2JY
http://youtu.be/zpkVt9XTdtg
http://youtu.be/YgPvRSAdK6o

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 01:44 AM
. I'm not a big Prince fan, but he flat shreds that Telecaster on this one.

I agree. Prince freaks me out about like MJ did. But Prince (or the artist formerly, formerly known as Prince) is actually one hell of a musician. Plays like a dozen instruments and guitar is one of his best.

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Al,
Did you return the Volbeat album already!!! Saw your post was gone about them............

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Any Tool and Led Zep fans out there?
Every once in awhile, I like to turn all the lights off in the house and just sit in the dark and listen to this eery cover of the classic:
http://youtu.be/Hc00VeB1viQ

alinwa
03-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Al,
Did you return the Volbeat album already!!! Saw your post was gone about them............

No, my metalhead buddy has it :) he's all about Metallica, Godsmack, 5 Finger D P and such.

I'm just not.... couple pass-thru's and I was all done.

I did the same thing with S&M, figgered "Ohh Yeahh.... this will bring it together!"

Nope. It just all blurs together for me.

It's like Ted Nugent music. I like Ted, I like the concept, I WANT to like it.... I just don't.

lol

al

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 03:09 AM
One of the best guitar solos of all time:

GnR November Rain
http://youtu.be/8SbUC-UaAxE

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 03:13 AM
It's like Ted Nugent music. I like Ted, I like the concept, I WANT to like it.... I just don't.

lol

al

Ted's one of those guys that you have to see live and live only. His studio work just doesn't do it for me. But man does he wail on the stage.

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 03:21 AM
How about something a bit on the lighter side? Heard this one on the way home from the range today. Hadn't heard it for awhile even though it's on my ipod. I guess my Shuffle feature doesn't like this song???

Bob Seger---Against the wind
http://youtu.be/ghxJaEBix2E

Al Nyhus
03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
How about something a bit on the lighter side? Heard this one on the way home from the range today. Hadn't heard it for awhile even though it's on my ipod. I guess my Shuffle feature doesn't like this song???
Bob Seger---Against the wind
http://youtu.be/ghxJaEBix2E

Long time Bob Seger fan, here. He's under appreciated as both a lyricist and guitarist. He's the type that most musicians should emulate...stayed clean, kept his money (made more with smart investments) and is still doing what he loves. One of his best, though it's not well known. The slide show is just some of the greats that recorded at the Muscle Shoals studio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwiRceP92-c

Recent Seger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43FpUG9uxQ

I was wondering how long before a Beatle/s member/tune came up.

I really dislike the Beatles. George Harrison was the best of the bunch by a wide margin and came into his own later on.

Probably the group I most despise is the Eagles. The Dude had it right in 'The Big Lebowski' :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaiRLDM628

Al Nyhus
03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
When it comes to a stage full of talent, this was the zenith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY

alinwa
03-11-2012, 11:57 AM
When it comes to a stage full of talent, this was the zenith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY

Well...... except for the recipient, Bob Dylan ;)

LOL

al

4Mesh
03-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Great song and a hilarious video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHAebKUyPM&feature=relmfu
I'd like to offer a special thanks to Al for keeping this gun related!

It takes quite a bit of time just to check out all the stuff in this thread. Lots of memories. (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band even!)

EDIT to add

I really dislike the Beatles. George Harrison was the best of the bunch by a wide margin and came into his own later on.
Same opinion here. George at his best imo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFfUt7HQWM

katokoch
03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
AC/DC was the first band I could call my "favorite"... still love that massive wall of sound they throw at you. My brother and I swore when we were in middle school that we'd see them the next time they toured and were nearby and a couple years ago we got seats 30 rows from the stage. WOW what a show! Hands down the best I've seen.

My dad was always playing The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Marshall Tucker Band, James Taylor, etc. when I was young so I know all the songs through and through but still like 'em alongside the louder rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath... you old guys know them).

When I'm at my workbench I have Pandora on either the Stevie Ray Vaughan station (newer/older blues) or Trampled by Turtles (newer/older bluegrass).

My generation will look back at the music that is popular today with a headache. I can't see another outcome. If it is considered "classic" stuff in 40-50 years it'll definitely help make my mind up on moving to the Moon or not.

Roger T
03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
katokoch :eek:OLD GUYS........Imagine what MY parents (Big Band/Ballroom/Square Dancing)thought with Bat biting (OZZY) Snake Toteing (Cooper) to Wang Dang Sweet ******** (Nugent) . I'm amazed they let us (kids ) have a radio in the house.........

4Mesh
03-11-2012, 01:24 PM
No Cult huh? If you're bored sometime, look 'em up on the web. Two of their albums were listed by Rolling Stone Mag (back in the day) on the greatest albums of hard rock--Electric and Sonic Temple. Their singer, Ian Astbury, is currently touring with the remaining members of the Doors as a replacement (dare I say that word?) for Jim Morrison. Saw them on HDNET the other night and I coulda swore it was Jim singing every note. He even freaking looked like Jim!

A few of their most radio played songs you mighta heard, maybe:
http://youtu.be/HNcpasj__WY
http://youtu.be/nNobN73F2JY
http://youtu.be/zpkVt9XTdtg
http://youtu.be/YgPvRSAdK6oHey, they do sound great, thanks. I'll have to stick em in the Amazon wishlist. She Sells Sanctuary sounds so famailar I had to check the hard drive but nope, don't have it. So, I'm not sure where I've heard em, but I have.

katokoch
03-11-2012, 01:33 PM
katokoch :eek:OLD GUYS........Imagine what MY parents (Big Band/Ballroom/Squre Dancing)thought with Bat biting (OZZY) Snake Toteing (Cooper) to Wang Dang Sweet ******** (Nugent) . I'm amazed they let us (kids ) have a radio in the house.........

I was just waiting for that... yeah needless to say rock and roll opened the floodgates. Likewise my dad said my grandmom was livid when one of my older uncles brought a Nugent album home. No radios allowed. Ball games were listened to in secrecy after milking and my dad's first contact with rock was his older brothers blasting it in their car radios.

Al Nyhus
03-11-2012, 02:10 PM
katokoch :eek:OLD GUYS........Imagine what MY parents (Big Band/Ballroom/Square Dancing)thought with Bat biting (OZZY) Snake Toteing (Cooper) to Wang Dang Sweet ******** (Nugent) . I'm amazed they let us (kids ) have a radio in the house.........

Roger, my parents just knew that young Alan had 'gone round the bend and straight to the crossroads when I started draggin' my weird-o albums home...Frank Zappa, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Black Sabbath, etc.

Speaking of old guys, here's one you'll appreciate. By all accounts, Pearl Jam were wringing their hands and all distraught when Neil didn't show for the rehearsals. They were already on stage when he just showed up and walked on. The Original Grunge Rocker was close to 50 then and simply slaps the new grungers around....they look like they just realized they're not in Kansas anymore. ;) He told the band later "Don't package it, just play it." The Old Master plays the same black guitar years later in the Dylan concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzL_WU3mmE

Enjoy! -Al

Zebra13
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Great thread!

No mention of Van Halen? I could listen to the opening riff in "Unchained" over and over again. EVH, despite being on scene for 30+ years, continues to amaze me. Probably the most influencial and most copied guitarist on the planet. You can't watch a video from the 80's or early 90's where the guitarist wasn't playing this: Strat body, Floyd Rose tremelo, humbucker in the bridge position, and a maple neck. Their new album is pretty darn good and Edward hasn't lost a lick.

A couple of fingers of Tullamore Dew and "Kashmir" on 11. A great way to spend 5-6 minutes. Same thing with "Gimme Shelter".

Texas should be proud...Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmie Lee Vaughan, ZZTop. Such a shame that we lost SRV...what an absolutely unbelievable talent. He played Hendrix better than Hendrix played Hendrix. And we can't get Lady GaGa anywhere near a helicopter...

If you ever get a chance to see Jimmie Vaughan perform, go. I just love his Doo-Wop Blues style of music. You'll also see where SRV got his soul. Put's on a helluva show.

And ZZ...man...The Reverend Billy Gibbons is just a bad ass. Very underrated. And one of Hendrix's favorite guitar players (pre-ZZ...Moving Sidewalks era).

Uncle Ted. His personality somewhat hides the fact that he is a very good guitar player. Listen to "Stranglehold"...the guitar work in that is epic.

Alice in Chains. The best thing to come out of the NorthWest since Hendrix and Alinwa. Certainly my favorite "Grunge" era band. Lane Staley had a set of pipes like not other...and a heroin habit like no other. Another one lost...what a shame. Jerry Cantrell is something else...sings...plays hell outta that fiddlestick. Very talented. Their new stuff is pretty good.

Traffic: "Medicated Goo" and "Pearly Queen"...wow!

Blind Faith: One album...but what an album. "Can't Find My Way Home"...gives me chills.

But maybe the best ever? Cream. Jack, Ginger, and Eric. Three of the best musicians at their respective instruments...all under one roof. If you don't have it, get a copy of their reunion tour DVD from 2005. They are still amazing. Pay attention to Ginger Baker's drum work on "We're Going Wrong". He doesn't hit the snare once. Absolutley brilliant!

Cream broke up before I was born...I would love to have seen them in their prime.

Just my thoughts,
Justin

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Al,

Thanks for that new Seger song! I hadn't heard that yet. Great stuff. I'm amazed at how well Bob's voice has held up over the years. He still has it.

I'm surprised you hate the Beatles though. I think you're the first person I've ever heard that doesn't at least like them a little bit. I guess I'm one of those people that think together, they were great. Apart, they were so-so. But I agree George was probably the best. I have to plug my ears whenever Paul's Wings come on the radio!
My cousin is a Beatlemaniac and we are always arguing over who was better, the Stones or the Beatles. I always tell him that the Beatles forged "pop" music and the Stones forged "rock" music. Boy does he hate that!

The Bob Dylan video you linked was great too. One guy on the stage who I really respect was Tom Petty. I've seen him twice in concert and they were great shows. I saw a documentary on him once and somebody commented that Tom Petty's music can be played while you're riding your bike down the highway, or played at a party, or played while you're cleaning your toilets in your house and it just seems to always "fit" whatever it is you're doing. I think he nailed it perfectly!

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Great thread!

No mention of Van Halen? I could listen to the opening riff in "Unchained" over and over again. EVH, despite being on scene for 30+ years, continues to amaze me. Probably the most influencial and most copied guitarist on the planet. You can't watch a video from the 80's or early 90's where the guitarist wasn't playing this: Strat body, Floyd Rose tremelo, humbucker in the bridge position, and a maple neck. Their new album is pretty darn good and Edward hasn't lost a lick.

A couple of fingers of Tullamore Dew and "Kashmir" on 11. A great way to spend 5-6 minutes. Same thing with "Gimme Shelter".

Texas should be proud...Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmie Lee Vaughan, ZZTop. Such a shame that we lost SRV...what an absolutely unbelievable talent. He played Hendrix better than Hendrix played Hendrix. And we can't get Lady GaGa anywhere near a helicopter...

If you ever get a chance to see Jimmie Vaughan perform, go. I just love his Doo-Wop Blues style of music. You'll also see where SRV got his soul. Put's on a helluva show.

And ZZ...man...The Reverend Billy Gibbons is just a bad ass. Very underrated. And one of Hendrix's favorite guitar players (pre-ZZ...Moving Sidewalks era).

Uncle Ted. His personality somewhat hides the fact that he is a very good guitar player. Listen to "Stranglehold"...the guitar work in that is epic.

Alice in Chains. The best thing to come out of the NorthWest since Hendrix and Alinwa. Certainly my favorite "Grunge" era band. Lane Staley had a set of pipes like not other...and a heroin habit like not other. Another one lost...what a shame. Jerry Cantrell is something else...sings...plays hell outta that fiddlestick. Very talented. Their new stuff is pretty good.

Traffic: "Medicated Goo" and "Pearly Queen"...wow!

Blind Faith: One album...but what an album. "Can't Find My Way Home"...gives me chills.

But maybe the best ever? Cream. Jack, Ginger, and Eric. Three of the best musicians at their respective instruments...all under one roof. If you don't have it, get a copy of their reunion tour DVD from 2005. They are still amazing. Pay attention to Ginger Baker's drum work on "We're Going Wrong". He doesn't hit the snare once. Absolutley brilliant!

Cream broke up before I was born...I would love to have seen them in their prime.

Just my thoughts,
Justin

Exactly. Everything you said.

"Eruption" leading into Orbison's "You Really Got Me" is proof enough that Eddie changed how the axe was played.

Roger T
03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Neil Young was definately showing Pearl Jam how to ROCK a show...The lead singer of PJ looked like he was going to pass out......

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyone like this one?:
The Animals--house of the rising sun
http://youtu.be/NU3KELkd-zY

How 'bout these guys:
Cactus--parchmann farm
http://youtu.be/X-RCAW2b5Ko
They were way ahead of their time and coulda been a supergroup if they'd stayed together. Most fans of vintage rock have never even heard of them.

Roger T
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
goodgrouper WOW, I thought our little group (back in the day) was the ONLY ones to call Nugent "Uncle Ted".......ROTFL.....

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Neil Young was definately showing Pearl Jam how to ROCK a show...The lead singer of PJ looked like he was going to pass out......

I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but they did do one song that makes my top 20 of all time. Maybe because it doesn't sound like PJ at all!:
Yellow ledbetter
http://youtu.be/hs8y3kneqrs

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
goodgrouper WOW, I thought our little group (back in the day) was the ONLY ones to call Nugent "Uncle Ted".......ROTFL.....

I'd like to call Ted "PRESIDENT TED" instead! HA!

Zebra13
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Goodgrouper,

I'm sure you meant The Kinks "You Really Got Me". They did Orbison's "Pretty Woman" on their Diver Down album. And what's amazing about EVH is that sound from the early VH albums came from some effects pedals, an old Marshall, and a $100 dollar guitar that Edward built himself.

To the poster who posted the link to Prince at the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame induction: Great call. I watched that live and it is one of my favorite live performances. The look on Harrison's boys face is priceless. He did a song on Arsenio one time that is one of the best all-time live performances I've ever seen. It was incredible! Never been able to find it on Youtube, though. That little turd has got a TON of talent.

Kudo's to the Guess Who posters. "American Woman" is out of this world good.

Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" and Montrose's "Space Station #5" are also good ones.

How bout' The Hollies "Tall Cool Woman in a Black Dress"? If that don't make you groove, you got issues...

Kinda sad about this thread is that a lot of the artists we're talking about died at their own hand. Overdoses...choking on their own vomit...choking on someone else's vomit...Hendrix...Joplin...John Bonham (the baddest)...the list goes on.

Justin

goodgrouper
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Goodgrouper,

I'm sure you meant The Kinks "You Really Got Me". They did Orbison's "Pretty Woman" on their Diver Down album.

Yes, good catch. I got discombobulated there for a second.

While we're on The Kinks, how 'bout this one from way back in the day:
http://youtu.be/nVXmMMSo47s

Al Nyhus
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Vedder can wail, no doubt about it. Personally, I feel he's at his best when a bit more restrained.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuq7RYQ8Wa0

Al Nyhus
03-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Dylan's vocals range from passable to painful, but there's no denying the man's ability to write. A few years ago we were at one of his outdoor concerts and his voice was as good as any of his earlier works, which makes me think a lot of his slurring and snide twanging are his way of flipping off everything. The next morning we were having coffee at a little shop downtown and seated across from us were a young couple that we overheard talking about the concert. Turns out they were college students that had just 'discovered' his music following Dylan around for a month hitting all his concerts....pretty cool, actually.

To me, this is one of his best..the ultimate 'up yours', put down song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMjJIRZk1K8&feature=related

Joe Maisto
03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Nat King Cole :D

That one remains to be one of my old time favorites. I remember it from the early 60's. The strings were outstanding...

mks
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Such a shame that we lost SRV...what an absolutely unbelievable talent. He played Hendrix better than Hendrix played Hendrix. And we can't get Lady GaGa anywhere near a helicopter...

Just my thoughts,
Justin

I still get choked up that Stevie Ray is gone. My best album of all time is his Carnegie Hall album. Eric Clapton, not a bad guitar player himself, said "Stevie was a channel from God, and music flowed through it." No one else can do what he did with a guitar. He had immense talent and huge soul. Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys has some of that combination. Johnny Lang has the vocal skills, but seems to have gone off on a different tangent. Eric Johnson is amazing on the guitar, but I am afraid they broke the mold with Stevie.

Cream, now that was a BAND.

Thanks for the memories,
Keith

Joe Maisto
03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Most of David Allen Cole`s work.....

David Allen Coe ( unfortunately) never gained the popularity he should have, especially with..."The Ride".
Some artists " make it" when they shouldn't have, and some don't when they should have.

Al Nyhus
03-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Probably my favorite Pink Floyd song. Steven Hawking on a song and flying a giant pink pig over your concerts.....might be a touch of genius, right there! :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zijN2r3ZKI

For newer stuff, the Avett Brothers are darn good. Very clever video with a good message:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t43VgJ4U9_Q

Another good one from a newer group. For some weird reason, the video reminds me of The Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' movie.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I&ob=av2e

Enjoy! :D -Al

goodgrouper
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Probably my favorite Pink Floyd song. Having Steven Hawking talking and flying a giant pink pig over your concerts.....might be a touch of genius, right there! :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zijN2r3ZKI

Yes, genius is an adequate description! Great song.

My favorite of that album was this:

http://youtu.be/zPwucFar9kM

Joe Maisto
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

Puccinis stuff is by far the best classical. Now.........if you want to hear the top of the line artist in violin, Pick up any album by Sarah Chang. She was a child prodigy at 6, like Jackie Chivanco is at 10.

However Roy, There were others before Pavoratti, but he does the best rendition of "Nessum Dorma" than all the others.

HovisKM
03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I go to 15-20 concerts a year and there aren't very many artist I haven't seen in the last thrity years. I'd have to say, most were worth seeing. But it surprises me that I haven't seen the Eagles mentioned. I've seen them twice and they are as good today as they were back in the day. Sound systems and electronics have gotten so much better that most entertainers sound so much better than they used to.

Also, even though I wouldn't rank them as one of the best, I find it funny that groups like ABBA and Beastie Boys are in the rock HOF but the group that has sold more albums and concert tickets than anyother american group isn't in the HOF.... KISS. I don't think anyone can argue with the classic Rock-N-Roll All Nite.

Here are some of the groups I seen last year.

Brooks & Dunn
Sugerland
Kenny Chesney
Kiss
Nickleback
Ted Nuget
Motley Crue
REO
Buckcherry
Three Days Grace
Poison
The Doobie Brothers
Creed

I know I'm forgetting about as many as I have listed.
The biggest bummer this year was loosing 2 gibson les paul customs, gibson accoustic (texan), marshall amp and a new Line6 amp, along with other guitars and stuff in a house fire. At least I had sold an original 52' Tele in the spring...anyone want to guess what I got out of it? I had also sold a gibson les paul studio that was farely rare, guy came up from Brazil to buy it. Can't remember the band name off hand (strange band) but he sent me a email showing me a new released mtv video that they had done and it featured the les paul. I was selling some items off because I had both of my wrists crushed in 2005 and can't hardly even play anymore...bummer.

Hovis

Butch Lambert
03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
I never turn my truck radio on unless I'm worried about traffic or trying to get a sports score.

katokoch
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
But it surprises me that I haven't seen the Eagles mentioned. I've seen them twice and they are as good today as they were back in the day. Sound systems and electronics have gotten so much better that most entertainers sound so much better than they used to.

I saw the Eagles a few years ago. Rock solid musically... I mean they were AMAZING, but a little too crisp and stiff for my likes at a concert.

However- Joe Walsh played some solo tracks and man he rocked. Totally stole the show!

Bob Brushingham
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
I liked Mister Bojangles by Sammy Davis Jr.

mike in co
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
i'm impressed by the number of rock and roll guys on this forum....
would have guessed most were country.......

inagaddavida

tell me the group and the real name of the song.ohh and how long is the original track...

mike in co

K Axtell
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
i'm impressed my the number of rock and roll guys on this forum....
would have guessed most were country.......

inagaddavida

tell me the group and the real name of the song.ohh and how long is the original track...

mike in co

Iron Butterfly, "In The Garden Of Eden" and a little over seventeen minutes...

Really had no idea... Wikipedia'd it. What'd I win?

mike in co
03-22-2012, 07:54 PM
lol...cheater...
it was written as a 2 min plus filler.
17 mins is what you get from a stoned band that jams on a little song...
the published title is the best they could pronounce in the performance....lol
most popular use today is for dj's that need a pee break
mike in co

Iron Butterfly, "In The Garden Of Eden" and a little over seventeen minutes...

Really had no idea... Wikipedia'd it. What'd I win?

jackie schmidt
03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Ahh, the infamous "album cut". For all of those that have never seen an actual "record", the thing had two sides. Rock bands were told that they had to fill up both sides, because fans would notice that huge gap at the end with no grooves in it, and feel cheated.

So, they invented the "album cut", where the instrumentalist just kept playing the same riffs over, and over, and over..... again, changing the tempo a little, maybe even changing key, or go to the 4th or 5th.

The best example of this is "Light my Fire" on the Doors first album. Good grief, how many times could Mazerak keep playing varations of that same 'da da da da de da da da da da da' over, and over, and over again. No matter how stoned you were, you could not help but say, "enough already".

Of course, it filled up a full 17 minutes on the front side. Get the idea.............jackie

kansasvet
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I can't say that I have an all time favorite song, however, some songs when I hear them I can tell you where I was at the time.
Examples:
Little Arrows by Leapy Lee is associated with my first time in love, but probably more lust than love, planting wheat north of Alva, Oklahoma.
Do You Know The Way To San Jose by Dionne Warwick heard while going to a Navy sponsored picnic while in boot camp at San Diego.
Tennessee Birdwalk by Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan heard on the morning that we went into Cambodia.
Brand New Key by Melanie was the first song I heard when I got back to the US, I was in a taxi on my way to Treasure Island at San Francisco

.357Mag
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Paul -

Howdy !

I like great singing... great singers. Superb harmonies...... great " Rock "....

The Who - " Can't Explain "

J. C. Fogherty - " Born on the Bayou "

Kinks - " All Day, and all of the Night "

Doobie Bros - " Rockin' Down the Highway"

The Monkees - " Valerie "

Hollies - " Look through any Window "

Patsy Cline - "Crazy "

Connie Francis - " Where the Boys Are " -

Petula Clark - " I know a Place ", " Colour My World " - listen carefully, especially with a good sound system/head phones

Tom Jones - " Show Me ( a man that's got a good woman ) " check it out on YOUTUBE

The Moma's and the Papa's - " 12:30 ( Young Girls are coming to the Canyon ) - 4 singers harmonize so well, it produces a 5th ghost " voice "

Roy Orbison - " Only the Lonely "

Roy Head - " Treat her Right "

Momma Cass Elliot - " New World Comin' "

Glenn Campbell - " Try a little Kindness "

Wilson Pickett - " Mustang Sally "

The Association - " Everything that touches You "

Gary Puckett & the Union Gap - " This Girl is a Woman now "

Mark Lindsay - " San Francisco "

Van Morrison - " Tupelo Honey "

Regards,
.357Mag

DCryder
03-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Which Van Halen is best? Diamond Dave or Van Hagar?

I really miss the old 80's hairbands. Guns & Roses, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Skid Row, Warrant and RATT.

Best album ever was GNR's Appetite for Destruction.... I could listen to Mr Brownstone all day long!!!

jackie schmidt
03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Vocally, Sammie has Dave beat a mile. "Best of Both Worlds" is a good example of that.........jackie

Al Nyhus
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Sometimes, a song can instantly transport our brains back to the exact moment in time when we first heard it. This one is a good example.

It was 1978 and we were heading to Indy for the NHRA U.S. Nationals. It was the middle of the night and I was behind the wheel somewhere east of Chicago when it came on. My three pals were all sound asleep as the Chevy one ton crew cab hauler ate up the miles under a beautiful full moon. The August night air was cool, there was a record holding Super Stocker on the back of the ramp truck and plenty of spare parts. A bad azz race car on the way to the biggest race of the year to slug it out with the best of the best from all over the nation. And four good pals doing what they loved best. To a 24 year old kid from South Dakota, life was perfect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3SydJVaE0

mike in co
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
ECLECTIC.......

bonnie raitt

janis joplin

bosia

madonna

stevie nicks

gloria estephan

alannah miles

i'm sure there are more
i also like big band as that was what my parents listened to.
jazz/blues/
johnny cash...i worked with a guy that owned three 8 track tapes..all cash.....

from my 40th hs reunion tour...
be true to your school
walk like a man
sugar shack
i saw her standing there
she loves you
chapel of love
i get around
house of the rising sun
do wah diddy
baby love
downtown
you've lost that lovin' feeling
mrs. brown
help me rohnda
mr tambourineman
satisfaction
i got you babe
help
eve of destruction
turn turn
some music is regional....my stuff is from southern california
mike in co

Al Nyhus
03-22-2012, 11:29 PM
David was/is a heck of a front man..one of the best.

Musically, on his best day David couldn't carry Sammy's lunch box. ;)

But when it comes to front men, I think Freddie Mercury tops 'em all. Talk about a man in complete command of an audience...this will make 'ya shake your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOOwNS2qk0

Al Nyhus
03-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Gotta' give David Lee his due on this one, though. And the opening licks are some of the best ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-IUB62zDlA

DCryder
03-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I agree, Sammie had the voice, but Dave had the personality and showmanship.

A big +1 on Bonnie and Stevie, but I would also add Heart to that list, "Alone" is a good one.

I cant believe I didnt add Motley Crue and Poison to my list. I always liked the Crue better between them. The opening riff on "Dr Feelgood" still makes me beat the heck out of my steering wheel and bang my head at 39 years old.

goodgrouper
03-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Vocally, Sammie has Dave beat a mile. "Best of Both Worlds" is a good example of that.........jackie

yep!

goodgrouper
03-23-2012, 01:22 AM
David was/is a heck of a front man..one of the best.

Musically, on his best day David couldn't carry Sammy's lunch box. ;)

But when it comes to front men, I think Freddie Mercury tops 'em all. Talk about a man in complete command of an audience...this will make 'ya shake your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOOwNS2qk0

Check, check and check!
+1

goodgrouper
03-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Check out Sammy's voice in Montrose. He had pipes from the very start!

Al Nyhus
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM
These guys are still as good as ever....maybe better. If anything Klaus Meine's voice has improved with age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstG9Td1U5k

Roger T
03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Let's not forget Jim Dandy of Black Oak.........

fx77
03-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Classic Country/Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny2yqpCKDkc

Conway Twitty

jackie schmidt
03-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Wow, FX77, my Wife's all time favorite.

Here is a version, (sans key change on last stanza), that is 100 percent live. Some have it, some don't. Ole Conway "had it"..........jackie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZL10oxPwY

Al Nyhus
03-23-2012, 06:58 PM
When counting my 10 favorite guitar gods, Mark Knopfler goes early on the first hand. An interesting fact about him is he's left handed, but taught himself to play right handed so his strong hand could get the sound he wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqTXXOqIPts

alinwa
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
These guys are still as good as ever....maybe better. If anything Klaus Meine's voice has improved with age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstG9Td1U5k

Dude, the Scorps still friggin' ROCK eh!!

somehow I've developed a soft spot for bands that can still sell music without a 'warning explicit' tag........ 'specially old guys.....LOL

al

Zebra13
03-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Right-o, Jackie. Can you imagine Roth trying to sing "Dreams"? Sammy's replacement, Gary Cherone, said he would cuss Sammy everytime he had to sing that song live...and Cherone could sing a little bit.

But...there is something magical about Dave in that band! Their new one, "A Different Kind of Truth", is pretty damn good. Definitely worth the price.

Alinwa,

Best live rock band I've ever seen?

Scorpians. Nobody has even been close...

Justin

Al Nyhus
03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
The unofficial anthem for many of us back in the day. Still great today......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQa8mw3SZOg&feature=related

On of my favorite newer groups....a post apocolyptic view circa the '70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSOzcEQjiE&ob=av2e

Enjoy! -Al

Butch Lambert
03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I just heard this. Don't know anything about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykVUnlTqXE

goodgrouper
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
All you guitar lovers, check this out. Why do these types of girls only exist in my dreams and on Youtube???:(

http://youtu.be/KCUlG2hHGB4
http://youtu.be/YT-ri4wSyBY

goodgrouper
03-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone out there like the faster, rowdy stuff?

When the guitarist of this band died recently, Eddie Van Halen donated one of his favorite guitars to be buried in the coffin with him because he was so impressed with his guitar playing:
http://youtu.be/23lrZPAYwcw

alinwa
03-29-2012, 01:46 AM
fast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

al

Al Nyhus
03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Great guitar stuff, guys. :cool: Carlos Santana can wring a guitar until the soul just drips out of it. Carlos at his best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRiRdu9J1g&feature=related

This cover doesn't exactly suck, either....and easy on the eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tGieanN5JQ&feature=relmfu

And she apparently has a brain ;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcWU1lyssk&feature=relmfu

Enjoy! -Al

Roger T
03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Carlos Santana's Abraxas album is 1 of the all time greats IMHO

alinwa
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
ran across this

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wpid-742873_n1.jpg

lol

mike in co
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
saw him free at san diego state in......1968 or so.......
an all day rock and roll concert.....he was just one of many that day...

mike in co

Carlos Santana's Abraxas album is 1 of the all time greats IMHO

Al Nyhus
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm almost positive I saw these two groups at the Red Rocks outdoor amphitheater just outside of Morrison, Colorado. I've still got the ticket stubs..... so I must have been there, right? ;) :cool:

If you've never been to Red Rocks, it's worth the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wp4O7v5320&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_yMLL-K3Fk

Al Nyhus
04-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm going to see these guys next week.....serious good blues. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMv3QRo57s&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOJIRbBFnw&feature=relmfu

KEITH MYERS
04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Best Drummers:

Neil Peart
Phil Collins
John "Bonzo" Bonham

Best Bass Players:

Geddy Lee
Chris Squire
Stanley Clark
Jaco

Best Guitar Players:

Jimmy Hendrix
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page
Carlos Santana
Richie Blackmoore

mike in co
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
bonnie raitt at red rocks......with her dad
blues traveler every 4th of july
mike in co

I'm almost positive I saw these two groups at the Red Rocks outdoor amphitheater just outside of Morrison, Colorado. I've still got the ticket stubs..... so I must have been there, right? ;) :cool:

goodgrouper
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Best Drummers:

Neil Peart
Phil Collins
John "Bonzo" Bonham

Best Bass Players:

Geddy Lee
Chris Squire
Stanley Clark
Jaco

Best Guitar Players:

Jimmy Hendrix
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page
Carlos Santana
Richie Blackmoore

Keith, it's nice to see the Rush boys get credit where credit is most certainly due!

May I add to your bassist list the great player by the name of John Entwistle?

goodgrouper
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Great songs Al!

Calibre
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't post much ... just enjoy everyone else's thoughts, but, I couldn't help it with this thread.

This is a great thread and have enjoyed everybodies choice of music. I like most anything blues and progressive rock the most (Tull, Kansas, Moody Blues etc.) but you guys aren't going back far enough.

Try this out .... it's got a great beat and you can dance to it ............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ID7cPE2FEs&list=FLvaDr_zdO06RUZC-36EBL_w&index=5&feature=plpp_video

Something a little more upbeat from Woodstock -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFpfureaCVs

Or let's get the ball rolling with ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH-8S1HJscw&feature=related

KEITH MYERS
04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
You are correct. How did I ever forget Entwistle " The Ax" My Bad!
Keith, it's nice to see the Rush boys get credit where credit is most certainly due!

May I add to your bassist list the great player by the name of John Entwistle?

Al Nyhus
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM

I crank this Rush tune when I point up bullets. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59mDlBSt7o

KEITH MYERS
04-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I can't believe they have not been inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame. Somebody must be anti-Canadian. I know Peart lives in Cali but nor sure on Lee or Lifeson.

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I crank this Rush tune when I point up bullets. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59mDlBSt7o

Too cool Al! That's one of my favorites of all time. Bullets born under that song would all have to go into one hole---or only hit x's (whatever the case may be!).:cool::D

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I can't believe they have not been inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame. Somebody must be anti-Canadian. I know Peart lives in Cali but nor sure on Lee or Lifeson.

That is a total injustice for sure. I have no respect for the R&RHOF decision makers.

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey, while we're talking Rush among fans here, I want to share with you guys something you may not know of. I learned this two years ago and it was one of those music moments I won't ever forget. I found out that Rush actually made an album in between their first album and Fly By Night. It was a live recorded album (in the first city that let them have a concert--Cleveland) with some new stuff, some stuff off the first album, some stuff from the yet unreleased third album, some covers, and it's the first recordings of Rush with their new drummer--Neil Peart. If you remember, John Rutsey was their original drummer but had to leave the band after the first album due to health problems. So they cut some new tracks and made an album that was never officially released called, "Fifth Order Of Angels". Check it out. The whole album can be found in the suggested videos or at the uploader's youtube page (mrrush1974).

A few of the new songs:
http://youtu.be/JlZSi4s49Ek
http://youtu.be/dNtyqtK5mpY
http://youtu.be/G9qrJz4QXZY
a song to be later released on the actual third album:http://youtu.be/XYkdV0l9d0Q
and one kick butt version of working man: http://youtu.be/kPEA2HpFWFw
A couple of rare songs that were added to my bootleg album:
http://youtu.be/EjpznNSWe24
http://youtu.be/yU3H8E7L7a0

KEITH MYERS
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
When they played in Cleveland were they the back-up band for Kiss? I know Gene Simmons helped those guys out here in the states. Can you imagine watching the pure talent of Rush and then KISS comes on stage! I think Simmons had alot of respect for them because they were not druggies.

KEITH MYERS
04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I just listened to those song. Its amazing that Geddy even back then was wailing on his Rick.
Hey, while we're talking Rush among fans here, I want to share with you guys something you may not know of. I learned this two years ago and it was one of those music moments I won't ever forget. I found out that Rush actually made an album in between their first album and Fly By Night. It was a live recorded album (in the first city that let them have a concert--Cleveland) with some new stuff, some stuff off the first album, some stuff from the yet unreleased third album, some covers, and it's the first recordings of Rush with their new drummer--Neil Peart. If you remember, John Rutsey was their original drummer but had to leave the band after the first album due to health problems. So they cut some new tracks and made an album that was never officially released called, "Fifth Order Of Angels". Check it out. The whole album can be found in the suggested videos or at the uploader's youtube page (mrrush1974).

A few of the new songs:
a song to be later released on the actual third album:http://youtu.be/XYkdV0l9d0Q

Al Nyhus
04-05-2012, 06:50 PM
If I'm leaning toward mellow when pointing bullets, I'll drop this one in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk&feature=related

Or this one. A man at the top of his craft...totally lost in his music and guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obfci1CIqq8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLCDFFC918A878C101

Al Nyhus
04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
As good a studio band as these guys were, nothing beat seeing them live. I saw them just a couple of years before Terry Kath's tragic death from an accidental gunshot after he had cleaned his 9mm semi-auto handgun. Terry's guitar had the neck taped together with silver racers tape...amazing. To me this is probably their best work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWODczdgGDQ

After Kath's death, Peter Cetera led the band down the road to all the schmaltzy, sickly sweet Top 40 gagging stuff that many remember..sad. In the beginning, Chicago was a hard edged blues/rock band. Here's one of their earliest works that shows where they came from. Jimmy Hendicks once said that Terry Kath was the best guitarist he'd ever seen. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvGa-8-Lns

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
When they played in Cleveland were they the back-up band for Kiss? I know Gene Simmons helped those guys out here in the states. Can you imagine watching the pure talent of Rush and then KISS comes on stage! I think Simmons had alot of respect for them because they were not druggies.

You're right Keith. They toured with Kiss for quite awhile. During that time, Kiss invited the boys to come and party with groupies and druggies after each show, but Rush always turned them down. Lifeson and Lee would go back to the hotel and practice and write new stuff while Peart would go to the local library and read about all kinds of stuff to use for lyrics! After a few shows, word of the odd aftershow behavior got out, and some of the Kiss fans would have signs that said something about "dining on honeydew and drinking the milk of paradise" as a little jab to the band. But they would always come back with some new lyric that shot right over the heads of the Kiss fans who were used to one sentence lyrics repeated 30 times during a song!

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I just listened to those song. Its amazing that Geddy even back then was wailing on his Rick.

Yeah, and it's amazing that these songs were written and played by these guys who were just fresh out of high school!

goodgrouper
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
If I'm leaning toward mellow when pointing bullets, I'll drop this one in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk&feature=related

Or this one. A man at the top of his craft...totally lost in his music and guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obfci1CIqq8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLCDFFC918A878C101

Al, if you can "mellow" to Green Grass and High Tides, you must be an energetic man! That song (well at least the last half)is fast and furious guitar shredding!

Speaking of Neil Young, how's this cover of one of his oldies:
http://youtu.be/7qa3xbRu0MM

KEITH MYERS
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I think this should become an endless thread and see how far it can get with Wilber's permission of course. It's great to have a discussion without my dad can beat up your dad jabs. Goodgrouper would you agree?

goodgrouper
04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I think this should become an endless thread and see how far it can get with Wilber's permission of course. It's great to have a discussion without my dad can beat up your dad jabs. Goodgrouper would you agree?

Yes. It's fun to see who likes what kind of music. I guessed a few folks preferences right, but most of them have been a surprise.

KEITH MYERS
04-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Here is some Rush trivia. Who was the Canadian back up band for Rush during the Moving Pictures tour? Geddy also made a guest appearence on one of their albums.
Yes. It's fun to see who likes what kind of music. I guessed a few folks preferences right, but most of them have been a surprise.

colchester
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM

A few of the new songs:

Thanks for the links awesome stuff
I wasnt at the Agora for that show a little before my time but I saw some great bands at the Cleveland Agora. Saw Blackfoot there for a daytime "coffee-break" concert the place caught on fire later that evening. It was a pretty small hall but they really had some great acts grace the stage there.

goodgrouper
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Here is some Rush trivia. Who was the Canadian back up band for Rush during the Moving Pictures tour? Geddy also made a guest appearence on one of their albums.

The 1981 tour or the 2010 tour?

KEITH MYERS
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Varmint Al
04-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Good One Comin' On
http://www.cmt.com/videos/blackberry-smoke/439893/good-one-comin-on.jhtml

Bobby Bare sings Lullabies Legends & Lies
http://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Bare-Sings-Lullabies-Legends/dp/B000ROAL8K

Okie From Muskogee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

Good Hunting... from Varmint Al http://www.varmintal.com/coyotel.gif

Al Nyhus
04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
The great thing about music is that there's something out there for everyones taste...classical, rock, jazz, blues...you name it. Sirius has a channel called 'Underground Garage' that has a broad content and last night this came on. I could imagine the Rat Pack in the '60's, just hangin' out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSRxwx581k

And can you imagine this in 1856? Earliest metal music???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBDWER-wUI&feature=fvst

goodgrouper
04-07-2012, 12:18 PM

That's a tough one. Without cheating by googling it, I'd have to guess either BTO, April Wine, or Triumph?

KEITH MYERS
04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
None of those! Max Webster was the back up band. Geddy sang on his song Battle Scar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

That's a tough one. Without cheating by googling it, I'd have to guess either BTO, April Wine, or Triumph?

CYanchycki
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Wow. I just learned something. I knew of Kim Mitchell as a solo artist but had no idea he was the lead singer of Max Webster. The band name came from a friend of his Max who happened to live on Webster drive. Got to love the I-net.

Al Nyhus
04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Maybe the ultimate middle-of-the-night driving song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED812HKWyM

KEITH MYERS
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
And your from Canada? Just kidding you hoser :cool:
Wow. I just learned something. I knew of Kim Mitchell as a solo artist but had no idea he was the lead singer of Max Webster. The band name came from a friend of his Max who happened to live on Webster drive. Got to love the I-net.

KEITH MYERS
04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Here is another Geddy Lee contribution. Singing on Bob and Doug's album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFPt001PYU

Al Nyhus
04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
If you get a chance to see Walter Trout live, make sure and go. When I saw him at an outdoor show, he brought the house down and stole the spotlight from headliner Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He was playing the same thrashed out Stratocaster he plays in this video. I mean, the man is relentless when he plays!

Walter Trout and the Radicals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZZbarTHwI&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9C04XgEiW8Q0nA7yTa4Vf0d&lf=list_related

alinwa
04-08-2012, 01:41 PM

I thought this was it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU

al

Al Nyhus
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I thought this was it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU al

Ohhhhh yeahhhh.....:cool:

"The radio's playin' some forgotten song.
Brenda Lee's coming on strong."

alinwa
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Some perty good other nuther music on that youtube linkie too

alinwa
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
OK...... show of hands........ HOW MANY have argued over the lyrics of Manfred Mann's 'Blinded By The Light?'

Dave Dowd
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM
If you get a chance to see Walter Trout live, make sure and go. When I saw him at an outdoor show, he brought the house down and stole the spotlight from headliner Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He was playing the same thrashed out Stratocaster he plays in this video. I mean, the man is relentless when he plays!

Walter Trout and the Radicals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZZbarTHwI&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9C04XgEiW8Q0nA7yTa4Vf0d&lf=list_related

My guitar guy! http://youtu.be/AaBruqqH1Wo http://youtu.be/_m1EjRvze9I

goodgrouper
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
None of those! Max Webster was the back up band. Geddy sang on his song Battle Scar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

Very interesting! Never heard of them before. Thanks.

goodgrouper
04-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Off my ipod ultimate driving playlist:
http://youtu.be/Oidm5Zfw_SA
http://youtu.be/K7A2acBVENA
http://youtu.be/hBP15lRprPs
http://youtu.be/fF0LLfm2bns
http://youtu.be/beyDR6NiQlI
http://youtu.be/5XWQrt00_NM
http://youtu.be/7kb3nAYgML4
http://youtu.be/XW94Ikf_mC4

goodgrouper
04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
This one came on satellite radio this weekend while I was turning brass. I hadn't heard it in a long time and I missed it. I don't even drink and it still love it:

http://youtu.be/BNoxGGCiFp0

While we're here, nobody's mentioned the chainsaw as a musical instrument yet:
http://youtu.be/qmfhkKAfxmk

Al Nyhus
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
My guitar guy! http://youtu.be/AaBruqqH1Wo

Good stuff, Dave. I missed him when he was here last year. :(

goodgrouper
04-08-2012, 11:39 PM
My guitar guy! http://youtu.be/AaBruqqH1Wo

Thanks Dave! That was the find of the month! Why hasn't he been asked to play on the Clapton Crossroads tour???? He's awesome!

Dave Dowd
04-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks Dave! That was the find of the month! Why hasn't he been asked to play on the Clapton Crossroads tour???? He's awesome!

Goodgrouper, That i don't know why. The guy is the real deal in blues/rock. Toured with BB King during the summer when he was eleven years old. Seen him in concert and was blown away by his precision/tones and versatility. He played for two hours and forty minutes and never left the stage, the man lives to play guitar.In my opinion,the best there is yet is almost unknown. (sorta like benchrest) Dave http://youtu.be/_m1EjRvze9I

Hambone
04-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Me and the boys love these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy8eIhenr0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUBMklQSVU&feature=related

Al Nyhus
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Say what you will about Tom Scholz, but Boston's sound was like a breath of fresh air. He recorded the tracks for their first album in his home built basement studio, then mixed everything in a mobile studio that parked by the curb outside his house! He took a lot of flack for his use of sounds not generated by 'real' instruments, but the live performances were as good as the studio work.

'A Man I'll Never Be'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmc_t7m2pC4

skeetlee
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Mine is " Im proud to be an AMERICAN!! " I dont listen to much music, actually. Lee

colchester
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Off my ipod ultimate driving playlist:
http://youtu.be/Oidm5Zfw_SA
http://youtu.be/K7A2acBVENA
http://youtu.be/hBP15lRprPs
http://youtu.be/fF0LLfm2bns
http://youtu.be/beyDR6NiQlI
http://youtu.be/5XWQrt00_NM
http://youtu.be/7kb3nAYgML4
http://youtu.be/XW94Ikf_mC4

I surprised this didnt make your listhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscivHCSVgw&feature=related
One of my favorite Foghat tunes

colchester
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Well heres my contribution this guy is pretty good especially considering hes playin two morris minor hubcaps and a broomstick. Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vSZFEWHlo&feature=related
Heres one with his Mississippi drum machine www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMf-em-56Mc

jackie schmidt
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
The joys of electronics. You can make ANYTHING sound cool.

Here is a headline you will NEVER see. "ZZ TOP'S GREATEST ACCOUSTIC HITS"
.....jackie

Dan Conzo
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Ghost Riders in the Sky by Gene Autry, Rye Whiskey by Tex Ritter and 16 tons by Ernie Ford

Butch Lambert
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
+1 Dan!

Al Nyhus
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
The joys of electronics. You can make ANYTHING sound cool. Here is a headline you will NEVER see. "ZZ TOP'S GREATEST ACCOUSTIC HITS".....jackie

Jackie, does that 'Little 'Ol Band From Texas' get any better than this? My favorite..... -Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHRHc5HmFHg

eww1350
04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Probably should be the Obama re-election theme song..."Free Bubble-up and Rainbow Stew" by Merle Haggard...;)

CYanchycki
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Probably should be the Obama re-election theme song..."Free Bubble-up and Rainbow Stew" by Merle Haggard...;)

Just a little off topic. Has anyone started watching GCB with Christine Chenowith??????

This past Sunday's episode was a gem. Miriam Shor who plays Cricket along with her husband want to have another child. The catch is they are married but are not intimate. He prefers to hang out with his hired ranch hands if you know what I mean......... She goes to the gym and works out with her instructor if you know what I mean.

Anyways they are looking for a surrogate mother as Cricket does not want to be burdoned being pregnant as it would cramp her lavish lifestyle. In one scene they are interviewing a potential candidate and she mentions something about voting or supporting Obama. The look on there face was priceless. Needless to say taking place in Texas she went to the bottom of the list.

goodgrouper
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I surprised this didnt make your listhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscivHCSVgw&feature=related
One of my favorite Foghat tunes

I only listed a small portion of my driving playlist...........this song is on there too! Great one!

alinwa
04-10-2012, 10:51 PM
whewwwww, I remember now, THAT's why I don't watch teevee!
al

goodgrouper
04-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Jackie, does that 'Little 'Ol Band From Texas' get any better than this? -Al

]

Yes, they do one even better:
http://youtu.be/ZPVxMB6w8PU

CYanchycki
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Come on AL........... LIVE A LITTLE...... What else do you do in Canada in the winter? Oh I forgot you live south of the Back Bacon Border...........

Butch Lambert
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
A fantastic group of young boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MoWPTeYS4&list=UUNHPGYg-YbI4gCiOSJXD41A&index=10&feature=plcp

jackie schmidt
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, Butch, think of the multitudes of old guys, who have been playing for years, that have not mastered the Earl Scruggs finger roll like that kid has.

There is a story that a fellow composer once asked Mozart what he saw when he looked at a keyboard. His answer was, "music".

I think that is what that kid sees when he looks a banjo neck........jackie

mike in co
04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
"".......flooding down in texas......"
right by the bar up on the cliff used in the michael the archangle movie......

south east of austin..down by san marcos.....( if i remember right)

only in texas would that place be called a bar.....................

mike in co

Jackie, does that 'Little 'Ol Band From Texas' get any better than this? My favorite..... -Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHRHc5HmFHg

Butch Lambert
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Jackie,
I don't listen to much music but Pat Byrne sent this to me. Pretty talented 9 yr old.

CYanchycki
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Firstly I wish I had the musical talent of my dad's brother and his son's. Secondly what I would play, Banjo, Fiddle or the Peddle steel. Dad's brother played the peddle steel, self taught. He sold it and never played again. The sound of one gives me chills.

Dave Dowd
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Most beat up Strat!!http://youtu.be/Yml4V-zcf3A

alinwa
04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I recognize this guitar in two licks, any time, anywhere http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2KJkIVBQ4ZP_FoAW7mJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3 Dimage%26va%3Dwillie%2Bnelson%2Btaylor%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-s%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D13&w=500&h=333&imgurl=farm3.static.flickr.com%2F2611%2F3696548223 _2f818afb5f.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gearslutz.com%2Fboard%2Facou stic-instruments%2F413066-my-taylor-just-went-floor.html&size=166.4+KB&name=the+way+have+you+ever+seen+willie+nelson+s+gu itar&p=willie+nelson+taylor&oid=ea1ee083277ac1d3a3a72125dad5e5a4&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-701-s&tt=the%2Bway%2Bhave%2Byou%2Bever%2Bseen%2Bwillie%2 Bnelson%2Bs%2Bguitar&b=0&ni=84&no=13&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=12pt6f1st&sigb=13lvj7q60&sigi=11mni26cu&.crumb=8GyHYoF.bFQ

KEITH MYERS
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw

Carbon fiber bass.

Al Nyhus
04-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Keith, you'll doubtless enjoy this one. The Loudest Band in Rock and combat guitar :eek: 'ala Pete Townshend. Townshend would play so violently his fingers would bleed...you can see that at 5:50 into this. This is why Marshall amps volume controls went to '11'! :cool: Jim Marshall, the father of the Marshall amp that literally made rock and roll music 'loud' passed away this week at age 88.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

KEITH MYERS
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
That was Killer! Never seen that one before.

Dave Dowd
04-14-2012, 03:07 PM
40yrs and 4 to 5 million miles of road time and this is my favorite road or any other kind of song. http://youtu.be/Fe7yOccqdxI He wrote his own music and can still perform great today. Bob Seeger is an American treasure!!!!

alinwa
04-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I waffle between "Turn The Page" and "Jukebox Hero" as being the most evocative pop/rock songs ever written.... but you're right, when that song comes on about 4AM as I'm suckin' whitelines I just ROLLLLL that 'V'button right off the end of the dial and let 'er pour over me....

alinwa
04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I found this liddle clip on youtube...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=a8y_noXsz64

if THIS doesn't make you go out and crank some tunes

you're already dead

al

CYanchycki
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Sorry Al but at 4AM this is the only song I want to hear......................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2700em-JQ

Hunter
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
It's hard to pick one favorite, but these two would certainly be on the "short list":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9JALQRMb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWVWjdNWC0

Al Nyhus
04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerful song delivered with some serious passion. About a million guys...me included:D...fell in love with Lisa Germano after seeing this. Some of the best moments in rock at 2:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxDBiiVjlQ&ob=av2n

Al Nyhus
07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Old thread but worth another post.

I just saw Heart in an outdoor concert...incredible! Ann's voice is as powerful as ever. And what can be said about Nancy???? At 58, she does things that the wannabes half her age can't do, both with the guitar and on stage.

If seeing them do this live doesn't give you goosebumps, call the funeral home......:cool: -Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaK0fS8WhLg

alinwa
07-14-2012, 12:07 AM
And now for something completely different http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkThaBWa5c

KEITH MYERS
07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerful song delivered with some serious passion. About a million guys...me included:D...fell in love with Lisa Germano after seeing this. Some of the best moments in rock at 2:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxDBiiVjlQ&ob=av2n

Al, You must have a very loud stereo either in your house or vehicle. I have both and will never be to old to jam. My kids are in amazement when I have the Alpine cranked in my truck to some good old school ROCK!

benenglish
07-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I just saw Heart in an outdoor concert...incredible!Heart is the best female voice and guitar in the history of rock. Yes, I just said that.

Saw 'em first in 1978 while they were touring in support of Little Queen. I've seen them probably 2 dozen times since. I saw them reinvent themselves as the Lovemongers during the lean years and now I've seen them, finally, generally recognized as the ultimate rock goddesses they are. Wanna know how great they are, even at their (advanced, for R&R) age and even when Ann is having a less-than-best day on stage? Check out Fergie (who's no slouch, to be fair) strutting and straining and utterly failing in her attempt to look like their equal.

To wit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWAqVQQ0Doo

Al Nyhus
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Nobody does Plant and Page like Ann and Nancy..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2eYG_7UM3U&feature=related

goodgrouper
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Heard this one on satellite radio the other day while I was doing brass work. Made me stop and actually listen to the lyrics. Unfortunately, they are all true and it ain't gettin' any better.......................
http://youtu.be/lOWrqR_QFfg

goodgrouper
07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
A couple of oldies but goodies before Tyler thought he was a fast food server.................

http://youtu.be/w8JrDwVPhMU
http://youtu.be/fBi3Sw_j10M

alinwa
07-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Heard this one on satellite radio the other day while I was doing brass work. Made me stop and actually listen to the lyrics. Unfortunately, they are all true and it ain't gettin' any better.......................
http://youtu.be/lOWrqR_QFfg

liberals....... this has been their message as long as there's been a musical venue to spout it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0

(And I own all James McMurtry's albums, and his Daddy's books...)

goodgrouper
07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
liberals....... this has been their message as long as there's been a musical venue to spout it ;)

I'd agree with James that we can't seem to manufacture things of our own anymore, and our vets are ignored, and our politicians sons will never be sent to war, and our CEO's are overpaid while their workers are at poverty line, but I'd have to disagree with him (or the libs that use this song to try to prove their point) on how we got there. Problem is that greed is colorblind. It doesn't see red or blue. Only green.

alinwa
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I'd agree with James that we can't seem to manufacture things of our own anymore, and our vets are ignored, and our politicians sons will never be sent to war, and our CEO's are overpaid while their workers are at poverty line, but I'd have to disagree with him (or the libs that use this song to try to prove their point) on how we got there. Problem is that greed is colorblind. It doesn't see red or blue. Only green.

America was founded as a place where "greed" was OK, not only OK but rewarded. I've learned that I will generally disagree with nearly everything said by a person who believes greed is bad, a negative character trait.

I know a ton of vets, I don't know any who've been thrown to the wolves. Many of them have wonderful productive lives based on training which started in the military. And several are bums. My threeson chose the Corp as a way to get his college money, he's out now, shopping houses with 50K in his pocket, a 100K minimum in college money and medical for life for himself and his family. He doesn't feel at all as if he's been mistreated.

whiners gonna' whine

haters gonna' hate

winners gonna' work

hard

al-greedyAmerican-inwa

goodgrouper
07-26-2012, 10:51 PM
America was founded as a place where "greed" was OK, not only OK but rewarded. I've learned that I will generally disagree with nearly everything said by a person who believes greed is bad, a negative character trait.

Wow Al, sorry you feel that way. I'll bet Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling thought the way you do too.

I, on the other hand, tend to believe that prosperity and greed are different things and should never be mixed. I'm no history professor, but from what I have read, the forefathers of our great Nation were trying to get away from greedy gov'ts. Not create another one.

Btw, I have two friends who have served two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and suffer from PTSD. They had to hire lawyers to get some of their benefits that were promised to them in their contract. Reasons given were that there were "too many PTSD claims" and not enough funds to go around. But hey, we've got enough in the bank to spend 1.2 bill on Amtrak that's losing money on every ticket but can't pay for counseling for our vets. Glad your relative is doing ok but not all are as lucky.

Al Nyhus
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Alvin Lee and Ten Years After, with tongues firmly in cheeks. ;)

The funny thing was, those being satired missed the point completely. Which made it even more relative......:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24m6mCBn0E&feature=related

alinwa
07-28-2012, 03:38 AM
the forefathers of our great Nation were trying to get away from greedy gov'ts. Not create another one.

Wasn't talking about "governments" but about people, like "greedy CEO's" and such...... unlike Al's cute song I DO know what to do :)

al-livingwithinmymeans-inwa

BTW I like this war song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6gZefW4yEA I think poor Billy gets vilified for being "pop" a lot more than he deserves.

Another classic from a trailblazing American protest singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i458ZzwpE3w

Wilbur
07-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Dammit - I wish I hadn't cut that music appreciation class. Maybe they woulda learnt me how to make that leap ya'll made...or at least understand the "mechanism".