PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to a laminated stock?

280rem
05-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I want to add weight to the butt area of my stock and use lead but where do I get it and how is it done? This is a big live varmint gun that's alot like an F-class in size. Is there a "normal" balance point for such a gun and is there something better than lead? As it is, it seems somewhat muzzle heavy and I want to correct this. Thanks alot, JohnD. Happy Memorial Day VETS.

henrya
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Start by taping some weight on the butt and play with that to see how you like it in the bags. You could use lead shot in a plastic bag and some duct tape. Just tape it on top like saddle bags. Next drill a hole in the rear of the butt that looks like it will take the amount of shot that balances your rifle plus a bit more room. You can check this with the shot before the next step. Pour epoxy in the hole about 1/4 full, add some shot and repeat until near full. Leave the stock standing butt up until it cures. Reinstall the pad and go shooting.

40EZXS
05-28-2008, 08:22 AM
I took a length of copper pi[e
Filled it with lead that I meltd.
Drilled a hole in my stock and expoy thai in.Sanded the end . and a great job.

;)

henrya
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Don't sand the lead! Lead dust is not a good thing to breath or be around. Get your weight below the end of the stock so you don't have to cut into the lead when you finish it off.