PDA

View Full Version : Ahrens Tuner Weight Kit is in the Classifieds

BigMacky
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Some of you have been Private Messaging me about the Ahrens Tuner Weight Kit that I mentioned in one of my Threads. For those that were looking for information you can find it in the Classifieds.

Here's the Link

http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=eeecomponents&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=1731&query=retrieval

jimfinn
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Is it possible or worth it to have an older Harrels/Hoehn tuner retrofitted to accept these weights? Or is best to just bite the bullet and get a new tuner?
Thanks
Jim

RvA
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello Jim,

I have done that in the past to the old style tuners and what I charged to do it was well under what I needed to even break even. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to just get a new tuner.

Best,

Roger

Kathy
02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Friend Big Macky:

I feel I must respond to your post....

I left centerfire work years ago to come to rimfire because accuracy development is so very progressive here. If one gets away from rimfire accuracy development for a month, they're lost when they return, it's developing so fast. This is why I love it.

My dear "short range" centerfire friends are still, at this late date, trying to determine if tuners actually work. They are awesome folks, I love them so much, as I was at one time, one of them.

I applaud this timely development.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

BigMacky
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Bill .....

All of your talk about tuners was certainly the mother of the "invention". You got me wanting to play on my own to see what I could see about these tuner things. I played a little with adding weights to a tuner and trying to measure the resultant vector. I knew that I wanted to increment the weight of the tuner by 1/3 to 1/2 ounce ... cause that would allow me to go through an endless "adjustment cycle" from 0 to 500 each time I added another weight .... but I didn't have the machinist skills to pull it off. My design was really primitive .... not sure if it would have worked or not, but it sure was ugly.

I talked with Roger Von Ahrens about what I was trying to do, and even a little of how I thought it could be accomplished. It didn't take Roger long ... I'd say an hour or so, to come up with one of the neatest Tuner "TUNERS" that I have ever seen.

So as much as I say thanks ... I thank Roger. He pulled it off. I honestly think that having the ability to go from a 9 ounce tuner to 20.5 ounce tuner in an endless tuner adjustment, not missing a single sweet spot, is an accomplishment that will show it's value in a very short time.

Fred

Brian_K
02-13-2008, 08:46 AM
That looks real quality and a bargain at $80

BigMacky
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey Brian,

Roger is a real picky machinist. When I got his prototype I thought it looked great ... Roger's comment was that it was "rough finished" .... :cool:

I'm real glad that his Weight Kit has been so well received. I personally think Roger is a great guy ... and I'm glad to be able to call him my friend.

Fred

B. Harvey
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Roger is a great guy, and if you have seen anything he has built, it is a reflection of who he is.

Brian_K
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Brian,

Roger is a real picky machinist. When I got his prototype I thought it looked great ... Roger's comment was that it was "rough finished" .... :cool:

I'm real glad that his Weight Kit has been so well received. I personally think Roger is a great guy ... and I'm glad to be able to call him my friend.

Fred

Butch Hongisto is building a rifle for me at the moment, this is defiantly going to be one of the "add-ons" (trying to give Mr. Harvey & friends a run for their money) ;)