PDA

View Full Version : Chambering Question...

Jackson~in~GA
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I've never done any BR work, but I have built a good many hunting rifles so far, and have always chambered in a steady rest. It seams from my reading this forum that chambering in the headstock is the prefered method. I have noticed that some seemed to imply that chambering in the steady rest was deficient when compared to chambering thru the headstock. I was just curious what you smiths feel the benefit of chambering thru the headstock is, and why you don't read more about chambering in the steady rest? I have two other lathes I could use to chamber in the headstock, but the spindle bore is to small to accept a barrel on the one I have set up to do barrel work. Just curious if there was enough benefit to change up my method.

Dave Tooley
01-28-2008, 09:23 PM
The main advantage is being about to indicate and adjust the barrel in the throat area. Then line everything up behind that. It also eliminates any error induced when cutting the center in the barrel. When I chamber barrels over 1.450 I have to do them between centers. I get satisfactory results but through the headstock would be better.

Dave