PDA

View Full Version : Rifling methods

Worker
01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Button rifled,Cut Rifled ??? If their both hand lapped what difference does it make? Ok so they think button rifled are stressed? Does that amount to any thing?:confused:

caroby
01-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Button rifled,Cut Rifled ??? If their both hand lapped what difference does it make? Ok so they think button rifled are stressed? Does that amount to any thing?:confused:

Most if not all makers stress relieved Button or Cut.... Stress shouldn't be an issue..I guess..:rolleyes:

One big difference between the two is:
Cut Rifled can cut just about any twist rate and height or Depth of the grooves... It's all in the set-up
Button rifleing requires a specific button for each caliber for EACH specific twist rate for EACH land height.

Control of twist rate:
Cut rifling does have an advantage here. Very precise control over the entire rifling twist length of a barrel.....
The Button rifled barrel. The button can "slide" and impart slight twist rate variables down a given barrel.

Advantage of Button over Cut rifling...
Well some say that you take two barrels with same quality steel, same num of lands/grooves and chambered to same chamber/shot the same amount.
The Button will last a tad longer due to the button process hardening of the surface of the bore. I'm not sure ... They both seem to fire check just as quickly to me...;):o

Button rifling can be produced very quickly less labor... Lot me labor intensive cutting a barrels rifling..........

Lotta HOF shooters use both... I like a really good barrel no matter how the rifling is made...!!!!!!!!!

One thing, we shooters a REALLY blessed that there are several barrel makers who's products are WORLD CLASS!
cale