PDA

View Full Version : Stock finish

John Garnett
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi Folks
I have a laminated stock that has become chipped and marked.
May I ask for suggestions re refinishing. Can I strip the 2 pack epoxy finish and oil finish?
Some information please
Thanks guys
John G

PPP MMM
01-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi Folks
I have a laminated stock that has become chipped and marked.
May I ask for suggestions re refinishing. Can I strip the 2 pack epoxy finish and oil finish?
Some information please
Thanks guys
John G,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

All what do you need is a sheet of 400-600 grit sandpaper and a Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate) 1-3ml tube with a thin nozzle. The Chinese made crap is the best because it's thinner and that's what works the best. Cut/tear the sandpaper to 1.5x1.5" bits and use them deliberately.

Put a tiny drop/smear directly onto the chip/dent, don't temper with it and immediately run directly over it and the surounding area with a 400-600 grit sandpaper. You don't need to be careful. The sawdust will stick to the super glue and it'll immediately dry. Repeate as many times as required to achieve an absolutely unrecognisable smooth finnish. 10 seconds per chip/dent is about all what's needed. You can repaire the chip/dents in the original finnish or the stripped stock exactly the same way and use polyurethane finnish. Linseed oil also works OK. You also can do sharp corners by going from both sides with the sandpaper supported by a flat object such as a file.

Shoot well
Peter

koginam
01-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I have used several of the methods at this link and they all worked well. You may have to join the forum to see the posts I'm not sure, some work without joining, they have lots of info on gunsmithing since most of the members are in the gunsmith trade.
http://thegunsmiths.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=e178140eb44137607300987a2f348497