PDA

View Full Version : cleanning a REALL dirty barrel

rocky_lange
01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I've tried 3 times of swabbing and scrubbing but still can still see visible fouling in the barrel. I've used Barnes CR-10, Birchwood Casey and Gunslick copper clean.

What is the most agressive cleaner to use for copper and powder residue?

I told to fill a small bucket with ammonia and put the muzzle is the bucket and use a brush to scrub the barrel. Good idea?

The gun I am working on is a Spanish Mauser that has been sporterized with the original barrel I am beginning to believe that the previous owner never completely cleaned the cosmoline or what ever preservative that was used prior to shooting. Maybe used corrosive ammo. I don't reaaly know, I just want it cleaned so I can practice some gunsmithing on the rifle.

Thanks,
Rocky

Don Nielson
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Try Montana Extreme Copper Killer. Don

Dennis Sorensen
01-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I have found a good scrubbing with J B Bore cleaning paste and a new brush work quite well... it wears the brush out though... then use any of the copper eating solutions...

david dumas
01-19-2008, 03:19 PM
try wipeout foaming bore cleaner, use the accelarator first, almost too simple but it works, I've got a 300 win mag, always took 3-4s day to clean copper out after hunting season(12-20 shots per season) tryed wipeout, let it sit overnight,then dry patch out,oil down and put away

dennisinaz
01-19-2008, 04:42 PM
I have found that if some impurities are cooked/sealed onto the bore, I could only get them clean by using a stainless steel bore brush. I haven't had them damage a barrel yet. I wouldn't use on in a match barrel, but then wouldn't need to either.

Boss Hoss 540
01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Very Simple Solution --- use IOSSO Bore Cleaner and follow instructions. It works period no exceptions!

Fireball Fred
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Rocky, a part of gumsmithing most individuals dont grasp is knowing when a good cleaning will make an old rifle shoot. i recall when i thought my 22-250 was shot out, groups opened to over 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards. i took it to a smith (whitetail in jersey shore pa, they are great people) and he checked the throat with a hawkeye borescope. of course it was black and crackly but the big culprit was the grooves looked like copper mines. that was when i was introduced to wipe out bore cleaner. it took 3 days of cleaning to get it out and i thought my bore was squeeky clean when i took the rifle there, how embarrasing. well my cleaning regiment has changed drastically. i dont drag a brush back thru a bore as that oblongs the muzzle. i use kroil to get out the powder and carbon, then i use wipe out with the accelerater to remove copper. occasionally i have a factory rifle that is really rough when new so i use kroil and jb to smooth it out some. then right back to the kroil and wipe out regiment. Greg Moyer

fireball10x
01-19-2008, 11:45 PM
If I have a real bad old gun that hasn't been cleaned I use a brush the next size down and wrap it with 4 0000 steel wool put kroil on it and start scrubbing it will get everything out.It looks like mud coming out on a real bad one,then i use patches untill clean and then a little jb and it looks and shoots great .I just did a 300 savage for a guy and it was shooting 6 inch groups at 100,the man told me it used to shoot good,so i checked and the bore was full of copper so i cleaned it the way i described and had it shooting 1 inch groups and under.

John Kielly
01-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I remember reading years ago (maybe in Brownell's first book) that the smart gunsmiths used to clean old fouled, rusted, clagged military rifles with a sulfur cutting oil. I tried that on an old South African .375/2 I picked up. By putting on plenty of oil with a bristle brush & leaving it over night, I ended up with a mirrir bright bore - in which you could see every pit & streak from a century of farm use.

Spott3r
01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Sweets?

Boss Hoss 540
01-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Sweets is great on copper---not carbon.

sourdough
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
50% sweets and 50% hoppe's #9.

Boss Hoss 540
01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Hoppes #9 will not really have much effect on carbon fouling without a LOT of scrubbing and almost none on the carbon ring. The Hawkeye verified this.

Boyd Allen
01-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Recently I cleaned a really dirty 7 Mag. After I had removed the jacket fouling, there was a lot of solid black in the grooves. I wet the barrel with Carbout (made by the same outfit as Wipeout) let it soak for 20 minutes, and then, contrary to the directions, used a bronze brush for about 20 cycles. I then patched it out, and repeated. After that it borescoped clean. (I don't think that it had been properly cleaned once in 14 years.) I really don't think that I will be needing abrasives any more! I understand that a well known Benchrest shooter came to the same conclusion about what kind of brush to use, and, after trying it, bought a case of the stuff.

Ax238
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Patch Out overnight for about 3 nights in a row.