PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from glue-in job?

Joe
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I removed a Panda from a stock last night, glued in by Gary O'Cock.
Wow................
What ever he uses is good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually had to machine the glue off of the action today!
Tried to sand blast it off but the abrasive was actually eroding the aluminum away around the glue.
Does anyone else have to machine the glue off of theirs?

JerrySharrett
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
How did you get the action out of the stock?

Normally some bedding/glue will stick to the action. Heat is the best method to remove it. With something you can safely control the temperature, like a clothes iron, warm the action till it is uncomfortable to the touch. Then take something like a wooden ice cream stick and scrape it off.

If you can sharpen the wooden stick till it looks like a wood chisel it will work best. Not a knife edge, just a chisel shaped edge.

Joe
01-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I removed it with a clothes iron. Heated the action until it popped out (about 20 minutes)
Maybe that's where I messed up........
I did not try to remove the glue while the action was hot.
I laid it flat on my workbench and covered it with a hand towel to allow it to cool slowly while i ate my supper. Was concerned about warpage.
Next time (I have another one to do) I'll be prepared with a scraper and remove it while it's hot
Thanks Jerry!!
Joe Cowan

JerrySharrett
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I removed it with a clothes iron. Heated the action until it popped out (about 20 minutes)
Thanks Jerry!!
Joe Cowan
Joe, one thing about using a clothes iron, the US Govmint has regulated the temperature of current clothes irons to where they almost don't get above warm. If you can find an electric iron that is 15 years or older, use it.

See what your granny or mom might have and buy them a new iron to replace the one you just took!!

brickeyee
01-18-2008, 02:47 PM
A heat gun works a lot better, then some MEK for wiping off anything that still remains.