PDA

View Full Version : Value of a 5 shot test target

Bnhpr
01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
From a purchasers point of view, if you were looking at buying a target or hunting rifle from a custom gunmaker, would you put much value in a 5 shot test target?

Not any guarantee, or anything like that, just a piece of paper, with 5 rounds through it, with this rifle, on this day, shot this group.

Do any makers offer this?

HovisKM
01-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I believe for a factory rifle it could have some merit. But for the most part, not much. What's important also, is to find out what distance the group was shot. I have seen a lot of centerfires that the group was shot at 50yds or meters. But....most guns I've seen with test targets are way overpriced anyway....as far as accuracy is concerned.

Hovis

Fred J
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I watched as a fellow shooter tested my rifle/ammo. I saw that the gun and ammo had promise, and it boosted my confidence in the combination. True it's not a factory supplied test target, but I believe it a wallet stuffer.

I used that same barrel for over 150K rounds before I change it out with a free barrel.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/FredJ_2007/Indoor5shotjpg.png

GS Arizona
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
From a purchasers point of view, if you were looking at buying a target or hunting rifle from a custom gunmaker, would you put much value in a 5 shot test target?

Not any guarantee, or anything like that, just a piece of paper, with 5 rounds through it, with this rifle, on this day, shot this group.

Do any makers offer this?

Anschutz rifles and barrelled actions have a test target. I've bought a few and never gave them much thought, it isn't my ammo and it's tested from a vise and I shoot from the shoulder. However, one of my friends, impressed with the test group, bought a bareleed action at Camp Perry last year (2007) and won day 3 of the Nationals overall with that barelled action and the ammo he brought to the match for his other barelled action. He used the same stock as before since it fit. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the test targets are absolutely reliable but at least it worked out for him.

I still prefer to do my own testing and will change barrels as needed to get what I'm looking for.