PDA

View Full Version : BAT question

PPP MMM
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
If the price of the two lug bolt was the same as the three lug bolt which one would you buy? Why?

Shoot well
Peter

Dave Tooley
01-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Peter

Since your posting this to the 1000 Yd. forum I'm going to assume your building a long range rifle.

The 3 lug is designed for point blank shooting. I know some are using it for LR work but there are better actions.
Depending on whose rules your shooting under you have 16 1/2 -17 lbs to use for the light gun class. Why not use all that? I'm going to assume your thinking about a 6BR case since your giving the three lug a good look. Why put such a small action on a large rifle? Most of us get bored with the caliber we're shooting and some day will switch to the caliber of the month. That might require an action with a longer loading port. The shortest action I would use is BAT's 7 1/2" 1 .550" in diameter. Rigid and it will eject a fired 6.5-284 case. Personaly I have the longest action that I can get from the various action makers. I like the 6.5-06 Imp case and that requires a long action. I shoot a 6X44 out of the same action. See what I'm talking about here. Don't paint yourself into a corner with your action selection.

Dave

PPP MMM
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
for your input. I happen to share the same view as you on the length of any action. My question was bit too plain for what I actually had in my mind. I didn't look at the BAT's data in any other way except the differences in the bolt lock up configuration. In other words 2 vs. 3 locking lugs. In a theory there are pro's and con's, but are these really justified in BR shooting?

Shoot well
Peter

Dave Tooley
01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Peter

They only advantage/disadvantage between 2 lug and 3 lug actions is the bolt lift. On a 2 lug it's easier and takes longer, 90 degree travel. On a 3 lug it's a shorter throw, 60 degree travel and takes less time to open and but is harder to open. The firing pin in each takes the same force to cock. Thus less bolt handle travel means more effort needed. The 3 lug action has a one diameter bolt which seals off in the front of the action in the event of a case failure.

Dave

Lynn
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Dave which model are you talking about the SB or the B ?
One is 37 ounces and one is 44 ounces.They are both the same length and diameter but the heavier one has a 3 inch port.
How close do you come on your total weight on a 17 pound gun?
Are my numbers close here? 44 ounces for the action 112 ounces for the barrel and 34 ounces for the scope or 190 ounces out of 272 allowed with the rest going to bases,rings,trigger,buttpad and stock plus bedding materials.
Lynn

PPP MMM
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Peter

They only advantage/disadvantage between 2 lug and 3 lug actions is the bolt lift. On a 2 lug it's easier and takes longer, 90 degree travel. On a 3 lug it's a shorter throw, 60 degree travel and takes less time to open and but is harder to open. The firing pin in each takes the same force to cock. Thus less bolt handle travel means more effort needed. The 3 lug action has a one diameter bolt which seals off in the front of the action in the event of a case failure.

Dave

,,,,,,Not common, but it would have some merits. Easy to make, easy to lift and sealed in the same time. One wonders,,,,,,,,,,

Shoot well
Peter