PDA

View Full Version : Receiver flat or round?

PPP MMM
01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
If a weight wouldn't be an issue and everything else would be the same including the price, which one would you buy? Why?

Shoot well
Peter

J. Valentine
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I like flat bottom recievers because you can get a better grip on them externally around the action ring to remove a tight barrel the first time.
Generally not an issue so much with a custom built rifle that should not have a real tight barrel anyway. Also they have a better bedding area I feel for supporting heavy barrels.
However they are more difficult to accurise than a cylindrical action .
If you are buying a new custom action that is already accurised then a flat bottom has bedding advantages. If you are buying an action to get accurised then a cylindrical is better for the smith.
It depends a bit on how you intend to set up the gun .
If the action is bedded in some way and must support a heavy barrel then a flat bottom can be good.
If you are going to use a barrel clamping block and float the action then flat or round does not matter much.
I prefer a flat bottom action as it lends itself to several bedding systems a bit easier than round actions and supports a barrel better.
Im sure there are other rigidity issues but I dont know about that part.

4Mesh
01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
If it were going into a stock and getting bedded, I'd pick one with features to the shape (ie: Multi-Flat BAT). If it were going to be a barrel block gun and the action floated, it would make no difference.

Furthermore, for the sake of being able to chuck it later, I'd make sure to get either a 12 sided (multi-flat) or a round action. There'll be no other shapes for me.

Dick Grosbier
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I like round.