PDA

View Full Version : berger vld for hunting

emert
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I heard that the berger vld can be used for hunting . Has anyone used these for long range hunting on deer? Will they expand to humanely kill the deer or just punch a hole and wound like Federal match does?

ballistic64
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
OK,here goes the can of worms.The experiences Ive had with Bergers VLDs (30 cal 185s) for deer at both short and longer range (if you consider approx 400 yds long range) have been nothing but sensational.The bullets passed through everytime with considerable expansion.

emert
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I may try 210 VLD's in my 300 Win. Mag. at 800 meters. I hope to hear from someone who has used these at this distance and longer.

ballistic64
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
No problem.Youll probably get better response at LRH than this 1000yd BR forum.Good luck hunting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/index.php

wnroscoe
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I've seen several hogs and whitetail taken with the Berger VLD's. Bullets/calibers used have been 300 RUM w/210's, 6.5x284 w/140's and 257 Weatherby w/115's. All but one have been pass troughs with good blood trails and bang flop DRT. The only failure I saw was with the 257Wby. The bullet exploded on impact behind the front shoulders. The deer was recovered with the use of a dog but, we had to finish it off upon recovery. Keep the VLD velocity at 2,900 to 3,000 fps and I think you'll do fine. The 257 Wby was shooting the 115's at 3,200+ I think.

xphunter
01-05-2008, 07:54 AM
emert,
Good experiences (being with others) with Bergers on game but not at the MV's you would generate.
By fall of 08 some of my rigs will be using Bergers for hunting.

Rustystud
01-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Eric Strecker who now heads up Berger is swearing by them. I will agree that Berger makes fine target bullets. In my humble opinion most of the bullets sold today are poor hunting bullets due to their light construction. The exception being the bonded core, partitioned type, and the solid copper bullets. The Swift Scirocco, A Frame, Nosler Accubond, Partition, Speer Trophy Bond, Barnes XXX, and MX, are all in a league of their own. In my opinion thin jacketed bullets should only be used on Varmints.

Rustystud

John S
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
A bullets effect on game will depend on a couple of things, the main one of course is shot placement.

Once shot placement is a given then velocity at point of impact will dictate the performance of the bullet.

I will not get into the the bullet failures I have had, but I can tell you I now only use the best HUNTING bullets.

Hit a 6X6 bull elk one time at 340 yards with 225 grain bullet out of a .338 Win Mag. Shot placement was next to perfect. The bullet made a right hand turn traveled a ways then went out the other side, the second rib from the back! This beautiful bull ran about 100 yards with the herd, stopped and fell over dead.

My point is there are many fine bullet makers. Ever wonder why there are bullets for varmints, targets, big game and dangerous game?

There are several makes of big game bullets out there that will produce outstanding accuracy.

Joe Ponto
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I have had good results in using them in 30cal 210 and 190gr...
Regards

1bamashooter
01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
I have shot deer from 50 to 450 yds with the Berger 175 VLD in my 308 and all have been pass thru and none have ran over 30-40 yds. I am working up a load for my 270 Wby Mag with their new 270 bullets. Berger has a DVD showing their bullets used in hunting situations, check out their web site the DVD is free.

01-11-2008, 07:34 AM
The 175 VLDs in 308 are deer killing machines.:D

Big Al
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
It's not how far away I might shoot a member of the deer family with a thin jacketed bullet, that worries me, it's the ones that don't know their suppose to get up a long way off, instead jump up at under 50 yards that concern me.

I'm sure that most of the hunters we all know would not think of taking a shot under 300 yards. Most will hold out for a shot at a 1,000 or more yards where these types of bullets really come into there own.

It's only natural to try and ring out the vary last drop of velocity out of loads using these type of bullets. That's how it should be, goodness knows you need ever drop of speed you can get to kill a deer.

I know Eric personally, and I also know the man is a workaholic, I'm surprised he can tear himself away, from work long enough to go shoot a bunch of animals, to have first hand knowledge of how well they work on big game. :D

Tod Soeby
01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I just got 3 boxes of 30 cal 210 vld in shiny new BLAZE ORANGE boxes!!

In each box of bullets is a note with the following....

"WHY IS THE BOX BLAZE ORANGE?
To educate shooters that Berger MATCH VLD Bullets are also great for hunting"

I have used them for years with great sucsess, but now that I have Burgers' blessing, I won't feel so ashamed of myself:D:D

I still hven't herd from PETA on this subject!!;)

TOD SOEBY