PDA

View Full Version : Bolt handle tools

Jerry Frodsier
01-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Is there any jigs to hold the hanlde in position other than the Brownells and is there any specification - for a remington SA - on the distance from the rear of the lug to the front of the handle?

Jerry

Jay, Idaho
01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
I think that most people make their own alignment fixture for welding or brazing the bolt handles in place.
I made a tooling aid that allows me to determine the distance from the front of the bolt handle notch to the lug abutments. It is similar to a barrel stub, 1.500 in length. It is threaded all the way except for a short flange at the front which is the same diameter as the receiver. The threaded end bottoms out on the lug abutments and you can use a caliper to measure front of notch to end of "barrel stub". Subtract 1.500 and you have a minimum dimension to use when attaching the handle. My fixture allows me to measure the parts when clamped in place.
I'm not sure about the 1.500 dimension but it is not really relevant, just so that it is long enough to function.

themachinest
01-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Here are some pics of a clamp that I made to hold handles in place. I like it because you can operate the bolt before you attach the handle permanently.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x246/themachinestphotos/100_0689.jpg
The clamp was a chain clamp Vise Grip.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x246/themachinestphotos/100_0690.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x246/themachinestphotos/100_0691.jpg
It works on Lawton actions and,

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x246/themachinestphotos/100_0692.jpg
Remington actions, and holds Kiff, my, and Remington handles.

Scott

RJM
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I need to make one of them.
Ron

RoyB
01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Awesome tool for holding bolts...........Now where did I leave my welder?

Jerry Frodsier
01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you Both for sharing your tooling ideas !

Jerry

Dans40X
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
A 1-1/2 " parallel clamp will work for holding a handle in place for a TIG tac weld.

I use a purge device to cover the welded area on both sides for the TIG-Pulse process.

I see others took the hint to use actions as jigs to position/time handles.

e-mail me for Rem XP/40X/LA handle location dimensions.

alinwa
01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
some perty fart smellers here, uhh-huhhh.........

NICE!!! ALL!!!

al

Rustystud
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Scott:

Barney should give you a million for that one. Have you talked to Ryan Fisher at MidwayUSA or Jason Carico at Brownells about carrying this tool?

Nat

PPP MMM
01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
By using a lead rod with exchangeable threaded bushings it would work on any bolt.

Shoot well
Peter

themachinest
01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Nat,
Consider yourself retained as my marketing adviser.:D
Do you suppose that I should advertise thees on my website?:eek:
Scott

And Nat, Barney don't know about these yet. I gave them to you guys first.

Chris Harris
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
TheMachinist - I like your bolt-handle-tool. I have one that is similar but not as nice as this so I will make some mods.

How do you go about brazing the handle? Do you use any special methods to keep the heat manageable? Have you had better luck with certain types of flux and silver solder? Any ideas will be welcome. Thanks, Chris

Dave Tooley
05-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I've given Dave Kiff my design. It will accomodate all three bolt lengths,allow indexing the radial location of the handle in relationship to the bottom of the left bolt lug and you can measure with calipers the location of the handle from the rear of the lugs to the bolt handle. Even I can get it right the first time. I don't know if he's done anything with it yet. Give him a call.

Dave

aleaddict
05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Does the threaded plug float on the end of the Vice Grip or is it tack welded in place? Very cool fixture.

Chris Harris
05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
From what I could see, I imagined that the threaded plug was not really part of the tool. Surely that is not threaded for the bolt!

Butch Lambert
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Looks like it is threaded for the bolt.
Butch

Chris Harris
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I looked at it quick. You are right, it is threaded for the bolt. The proportions looked all wrong.

Chris Harris
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I heard today that Harris Stay-Silv have a product for keeping heat away from the parts of the bolt that you do not want stained with the brazing torch. One applies it to the areas you want protected. Apparently this compound hardens during the heating process but can be washed off as it is water soluble.

Has anyone had experience with this product and if so, what exactly is the name of it?

Chris

Dans40X
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Dave Tooley,
Are you silver soldering the handles or having them TIG welded??
Is your fixture designed for the southpaw bolt/handles also.
Your first bolt/handle is on me!!

An easy option;
A pair of needle nose vice grips with the serrations & jaws ground parallel works on a multitude of bolt bodies/handles compared to a threaded insert/clamp.

This clamp is for locating/timing the handle for a TIG weld tack not to hold/clamp the handle to facilitate silver soldering.

You could park a CAT D10 dozer on top of a fixtured bolt/handle to be silver soldering & it will "FLOAT" out of position unless it is being induction soldered.

aleaddict
05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the idea of having a threaded extension in the bolt body is to create a heat sink during welding? I like this fixture. If the threaded plug were to float inside the Vice Grip then you wouldn't have to worry about indexing the threads to the jaws of the clamp. The clamp would be free to be positioned anywhere around the bolt body.

I've never heard of soldering a bolt handle to the bolt body. I thought TIG or forging were the only options.

Butch Lambert
05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Brian most of them are silver soldered.
Butch

Dans40X
05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
The TIG Pulse PURGE process is the technique to use.
MICRO-TIG would work also,but I do not want to be looking through a microscope 10-12hrs a day.
If you are a certified TIG welder an explanation of the PURGE PROCESS is self explanatory.
For a certifiable TIG weld inert gas(Argon/Helium/Mix) is used to keep the atmosphere from contaminating the weld/parent metal surrounding the weld puddle/bead on both sides.
A threaded plug as a heat sink,no matter what the threaded piece is made of,does not accomplish that.
As mentioned in a previous thread-lead should not be a consideration as a heat sink or you'll die younger than desired & create one heck of a mess without a PURGE.

I'd like to post pictures/video of the process,but several of my TIG welded bolt/handles have shown up on web sites/forums with claims from others that did not accomplish the work.

Where did Scott get the idea to use an action to time/fixture/clamp a handle-ME.You're Welcome!!

Jay, Idaho
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The TIG Pulse PURGE process is the technique to use.

I'd like to post pictures/video of the process,but several of my TIG welded bolt/handles have shown up on web sites/forums with claims from others that did not accomplish the work.

Dans40X,

I have several custom bolt handles, a one-time run by a Custom Action maker, for 700s. They match the extraction cam better than any Remington. They are made from 303 s.s. The Custom action maker silver solders his bolt handles.
Can you TIG 303 s.s.? I can't find anything that specifically states that you CAN or CANNOT TIG weld 303. It would be TIG welded to a Rem bolt.

Jay, Idaho

Dans40X
05-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Jay,
No problem TIG welding 303 S/S to 4100 CrMo with a purge process.
Without a purge process 303 will cold crack.
The nickel content of non magnetic S/S will not be comparable to 4100 or 416 S/S as welded.
Have you tried work hardening one of your 300 series handles??

e-mail me-
I need a measurement to time your bolt handle.

benchduck
05-04-2008, 10:52 PM
i used to tig for a living we used inert-gas purged welding chambers for weldable goods that would resemble a bolt and handle for exemple. we would back gas or purge pipes with a dam on one end and a dam on the other with 100% argon were two pipes would meet for work out side the chamber . iam trying to understand how your doing your purge process without a chamber and since your argon is flowing around the weld why would you need to purge something that is essentially a lap joint on the bolt radius and a fillet weld on the rear of the handle and bolt .my weld background was aerospace the square wave pulse arc machine was made for this industry so i am familiar with it but would like to understand the purge process

Dans40X
05-05-2008, 12:52 AM
benchduck-
I've used quite a few balloons to DAM pipe joints for TIG welding root passes on heavy wall pipe-then the stick/mig welders have at it.
I've used a few other items to dam purge gas -condoms are the first item that come to mind,duct tape as a last resort.

I'm purging the bolt body instead of just using a heat sink threaded into the bolt body during the process to keep the cocking cam/handle unaffected by heat.

benchduck
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks