PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Micrometers?

outlawsix
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I just bought a set of the Mitutoyo digimatic Outside Micrometer Series 293. It is not the collant proof version. But it has 0-1", 1-2", 2-3". Any disadvantage to the older non-collant proof ones compared to the coolant proof ones. And no I'm not going to get them wet. This is just for my personal use. But if they did accidently get wet is that a problem?

Almost forgot the all measure to .00005" or 0.001mm.

karls42
12-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Off hand I would say it would ruin them. Why else would they go to the trouble to make the "coolant proof" line??

Butch Lambert
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Don't worry about it. I have some from the late 60s and I am not careful. They are still in excellent shape.
Butch

Bill Leeper
12-31-2007, 12:37 AM
That's why I don't like that digital stuff. Well, that and the need for batteries. Try and keep them dry. Regards, Bill.

outlawsix
12-31-2007, 01:21 AM
I will try and keep them dry, but was just wondering in case something happens. I mean for the price I really couldn't pass them up $265 and they are mint in the box. Can't wait to put them to use.

You know I have heard quite a few of the wiser fellas mention the machines were the cheap part. And man you are oh so right. Oh well if you want to play have to have the right toys.

Thank you again to Mr. Wilbur for giving this forum to help us young folks learn from the wise ones.

Winchester 69
12-31-2007, 04:22 AM
If an electrical device is wetted, in an unpowered state wash it with distilled water, or with mild detergent and rinsed with distilled water if necessary, and dry. Clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, and the device will be in it's virgin state. There's no magic.

Butch Lambert
12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't read the post properly. I was speaking of my plain .0001 Mitutoyo micrometers.
Butch

M.D.Spencer
12-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Clean them off and spray them down with WD-40. I have calipers bought back in 88'. Their digital and diffinently not coolant proof. I have never submerge them or accidentally left them chuck of the Blanchard grinder. But they have been wet.. Dripping wet! I still have them. The digital mics work just fine. But are you really that worried about coolant? Clean it all off before you check things. You'll be fine..:D