PDA

View Full Version : A Lady wins at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club

AVanGorder
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Today was the local 200 yard IBS Score match. The weather was rather chilly and got colder as the match progressed. Around noon it was down at around 40 degrees. The wind appeared to be manageable, at times. However, it pushed the bullets around more than most predicted. At the end of the day, just six shooters were able to hold on to the 250.

I am very proud to report that the match winner is Julia Van Gorder. This is her first win and was a great day. The top three in VFS:
Julia Van Gorder 250-12X
Dick Grosbier 250-9X
Dean Breeden 250-8X

First and second place in Modified Factory class had the same score separated by just one X.
Adrian Van Gorder 239-3X
Ray Bowman 239-2X

From left to right: Dick Grosbier, Julia Van Gorder, Dean Breeden
http://photos.imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/variouspics/websize/FRGC-Top3.jpg

This is the match director, Wayne France and Julia Van Gorder
http://photos.imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/variouspics/websize/WayneandJulia.jpg

David Apple
12-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Great shooting Julia.

David

Dick Grosbier
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Congratulations Julia for a well deserved win.
Dick Grosbier

Roy in NC
12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Great shooting!

Jim Wooten
12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Way to go Julia!

Don't let Adrian "borrow" this rifle as well ;):D.

Jim

Joe Entrekin
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Way to go, Julia. Knew it was just a matter of time.

R.E.B.
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Excellent job today Julia! And contrats to Adrian as well!
I also want to thank the folks there as well, it was my first match at Fairfax
and the people there are terrific. Everyone was extremely helpful and I learned alot about reading wind flags.
If any other new shooters can come to the next match on January 13th you are sure to have a good time.
Thanks again to all.
Ray Bowman

Hal D.
12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
It was just a matter of time. Julia has been shooting well for quite some time now, and just needed to get over the hump. Nice shooting.

Doug Knowles
12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Julia for President! See ya at the Rock.

Stay Safe, Doug:D

jackie schmidt
12-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Isn't that the same good looking gal that had a picture of Her, and Her new Rifle, just a couple of weeks ago.
I guess she IS more than just a pretty face.
Wat to go!!!!!........jackie

Dave Short
12-30-2007, 10:16 PM
It looks like it didn't take too long to get used to that new rifle.

I heard from a reliable source that Julia cooly sat down for match 5 and shot a 50-3X in the worst conditions of the day to seal the deal.

Great shooting! I don't think anyone is any too surprised, though.......

-Dave-:)

TBonz
12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
And to think I missed it! Wish I could have been there!

At least I didn't have to watch all my money go in the Van Gorder's pockets - but I'm kinda used to that anyway!

My guess it was with the yellow Panda and not the new rifle yet, but I'm sure someone will fill us in...

Congrats again Julia! The first of many I'm sure!

Tom

steve stanley
12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Congratulations Julia! way to end the year, I am sorry I missed it. I knew it was a matter of when not if it would happen, she has shot extremely well from her very first match.I predicted early this past year that Julia and Kim Llewellen would win before the year was over and they have both came thru with a win. There will be many more wins for both. Congrats again to all, Steve

Jim Borden
12-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Great Job

Jim Borden

Humble Henry
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
No doubt who is the best looking and best shooter in that group!!!!

HUMBLE HENRY:rolleyes:

Humble Henry
01-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Best looking and BEST shooter !!!You go girl friend !!!!

HUMBLE HENRY:p;):D

eww1350
01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
The equipment report states that Julia was shooting BERGER 115 grain bullets:eek:
I did not know that Berger bullets offered a 115 grain 30 caliber..:confused:
Is it a miss-print?
Or is there some individual out there named "Berger" making bullets for sale?

I have shot Berger 110 grain bullets out of my 18 twist with excellent results..

VTXChic
01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I would like to thank everyone who was so kind and supportive of my shooting this past year! Please know that I really appreciate it. It was very exciting to win my first match and I hope it's not the last. ;)

Just to clarify - I shot my yellow gun this past weekend, Woodstock. Adrian has shot it plenty of times in the past. I am yet to bring out my new gun - Lucy. Better watch out, she looks like a winner, thanks to Jim Borden. ;)

Thank you so much for all of your kind responses!

Julia Van Gorder

AVanGorder
01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
yea Dick G is a sexy thing :eek:

George - You make me laugh again!!!

AVanGorder
01-01-2008, 07:58 PM
The equipment report states that Julia was shooting BERGER 115 grain bullets:eek:
I did not know that Berger bullets offered a 115 grain 30 caliber..:confused:
Is it a miss-print?
Or is there some individual out there named "Berger" making bullets for sale?

I have shot Berger 110 grain bullets out of my 18 twist with excellent results..

Maybe Berger is making her something special :-)

This match, Julia was shooting Berger 110 grain bullets.

She was shooting her other rifle (Lucy the BB (Borden Built) gun) just a day before, and was shooting Euber 115, and got confused when signing up.

Adrian

eww1350
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Adrian, did "Lucy" get a different chamber than "Woodstock"...I have a 30BR with a standard Kiff "Robinette" reamer design that shoots 110 Bergers very well, but am considering a new barrel with some minor differences of the 30BR reamer design..mabe a 1 1/2 degree lead angle and a .3083 throat diameter...Who offers unique variants of the 30BR design?
I heard Wayne Shaw built some killer 30BRs...

AVanGorder
01-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Adrian, did "Lucy" get a different chamber than "Woodstock"...I have a 30BR with a standard Kiff "Robinette" reamer design that shoots 110 Bergers very well, but am considering a new barrel with some minor differences of the 30BR reamer design..mabe a 1 1/2 degree lead angle and a .3083 throat diameter...Who offers unique variants of the 30BR design?
I heard Wayne Shaw built some killer 30BRs...

I have been shooting a Wayne Shaw rifle (named Eugene)... it got me "Rookie of the Year" for two years in a row.
The gun that Julia just won with, last weekend (Woodstock), is also Wayne Shaw's work. I won a couple matches with her gun also.

Lucy came from Jim Borden. Woodstock is from Wayne Shaw. I don't know the difference in the reamers, but, the chambers are different. The brass from Woodstock will not fit in Lucy.

Woodstock will shoot almost anything. Last weekend Julia shot Berger 110s just because we had tested them and they worked well and was low on other bullets. I took second at the North Carolina State, with this gun, shooting Cheek 118s. I won a match in Richmond, VA using Robinette 118s.

Julia, doing some fire forming with Lucy, had some fantastic groups shooting Euber 115s. We'll see what happens here. She is really looking forward to shooting Lucy at a match.

Adrian

Jerry Frodsier
01-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Julia,

Great shooting - Its great to see you and Adrian do so well !

Jerry ;)

Dick Grosbier
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
yea Dick G is a sexy thing :eek:

George,
I suggest you see a good eye doctor, you obviously need glasses.